Filling blocks

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

ec1
Re: Filling blocks

Post by ec1 »

I worked on a pulling tractor head that was filled with bronze. Worked well and was able to turn the diesel ports into blown alky ports!! I imagine they had had to pre head the head to a glow before they poured in the bronze.
bobmc

Post by bobmc »

Masterflow 885 grout is commonly used in drag racing with stock type iron engine blocks
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

After furnace brazing, where did they find leaks?
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

IIRC the calculation we did, there are 175 linear inches of sleeve mating to block.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

After fully furnace brazing the sleeves into the block, I don't see how there could have been any leaks.
MichaelThompson

Post by MichaelThompson »

I wonder if anyone has ever tried threading the bottom of the sleeve then brazed the top via induction brazing?
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

=P~
MichaelThompson wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:16 pm I wonder if anyone has ever tried threading the bottom of the sleeve then brazed the top via induction brazing?
I'd hate to be the one to take on that project. Just thinking about doing it gave me a headache.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
MichaelThompson

Post by MichaelThompson »

I believe the Motor City Flathead aluminum block was cast without cylinders and special cylinder sleeves were installed that had threads at the bottom and possibly the top as well. The threads were timed together top and bottom if I’m not mistaken.

Much more straightforward if you’re casting a block to accept such a sleeve. I kind of doubt there is enough material in the bottom of the factory block for anything like that.