Oil Pan "Pulse Separation Walls"

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BLSTIC
Expert
Expert

Re: Oil Pan "Pulse Separation Walls"

Post by BLSTIC »

Would putting a radius on the main caps be a benefit here?
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

With a dry sump system, seperated and sealed bays are the way to go. Wet sump is basically impossible to do for obvious reasons.
BP758

Post by BP758 »

Years ago Kevin ( hello Kevin) built us a pretty trick piece for our BBC stock eliminator pan (6 qt)r that mounted off the main caps. Material was too light and it vibrated into the crank. No biggie, Kevin fixed that then I exploded it big time.... without the new parts. Fast forward to now, we have a new bullet and and two new pans to try this again. Has main cap fit dividers, crank scraper and wiper teflon as well as a deep well deflector.

BP
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

Warp Speed wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:20 am With a dry sump system, seperated and sealed bays are the way to go. Wet sump is basically impossible to do for obvious reasons.
What are the obvious reasons if the divider walls reach only below the oil surface in a wet sump pan?
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

miniv8 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:57 pm
Warp Speed wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:20 am With a dry sump system, seperated and sealed bays are the way to go. Wet sump is basically impossible to do for obvious reasons.
What are the obvious reasons if the divider walls reach only below the oil surface in a wet sump pan?
Because to actually seperate the pulses, each bay needs to be sealed from the others. This of course requires multiple oil pick up points, which is impossible with a single stage wet sump pump.
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

so the surface of the oil would just pound under the walls?
I'm trying to visualize how it is impossible.
Sure the pickup tube is in the rear, but the walls would leave plenty of room for oil to flow under them.

I run a homebuilt flat marine type pan in my dragster, with walls and trap doors already. Those walls could be moved up to reach around the mains, If I did, would it ofcourse and obviously not work?

This is not something I had pictured as air tight "seal" by any means, just a way to reduce the buffeting back and forth between the crank throws, thinking a controlled radial tornado might be better by it self with less pulsing back and forth between the crank throws.
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

That'll make the oil buffet back and forth under the dividers, but of course more back with acceleration, when the second from the back cylinders on each side have the pistons descending they'll pulse into the rear bay most likely submerging the crank unless you have a super deep sump.

Dry sump systems are a world apart they are scavenging more than oil.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
allencr267
Pro
Pro

Post by allencr267 »

Is it a bigger blast from increased velocity, that makes it an all or nothing, completely sealed or as open & unrestricted as possible?
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Tom68 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:31 am
miniv8 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:57 pm Interesting.
Trying to put order in the chaos within the pan like this will probably have diminishing returns, but I have a hard time seeing at the moment it could get worse than it already is.

Trying to solve an imaginary problem is one thing, but with this being mostly hypothetical, I havent heard of any V-twins whatever the firing order having a big aftermarket trying to solve windage issues.
Nah Harleys been doing it for a while, might have got it right, you were talking about wet sumps though?

Look at the old Husqvarna singles, they used a reed valve in the crankcase to feed lube from the pumping pressure in the crankcase.
Husky, jawa, GM (speedway bike engines).
Use the reed to pump oil up top where it spills down the cam chain passage to a seperate sump where its picked up and only supplied to the crank.

Honda uses one too but it leads directly to the sump and then they pump oil up top, they call it semi dry sump.

Blocking bay to bay in a wet sump engine would probably be awful
I think modern wet sumps allow for lots of flow to reduce pumping losses.