Edelbrock Torker II

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Edelbrock Torker II

Post by Tom68 »

mag2555 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:25 am How about doing the smart thing and following Edelbrock’s own recommendations for Camming, carb cfm and rpm range.
All for a 350 no doubt, 8.5:1 for a performer, it's a wonder they didn't suggest tracking down an old SP2P.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

71vette wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:51 pm When the rear was squatting so hard what rear leaf were you guys running? Might consider a new composite rear spring with at least a 360# rating.
This is on the list of necessities, but they don't give them away
So much to do, so little time...
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

Monza355 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:14 pm Victor JR is only 1/2” taller than the std Performer or the Torker II. I would do some measurements to verify if it fits. I would not bother with the Torker II.
We need to make some hard measurements, really hope it can be done.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

bigcam406 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:59 pm Weiand Team G 7530 will work if a single plane is your preference. It is lower than a Victor Jr for hood clearance and performs just as good.
This likely the best option if the Vic Jr doesn't fit.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

https://www.holley.com/products/engine/ ... parts/8125

Weiand street warrior 8125
Same height as performer sbc
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

We are dealing with a tight budget here. The car owner want's to go fast at the track. As is now with a restricted exhaust and intake, the car will scare people in the passenger seat. Assuming an improved suspension and a shifter that works, I'm sure there is another easy 3 tenths in it with no changes to the motor. Realistically, the small heads are going to be the cork in the system. Everything on a 400 based engine needs to be bigger, but there isn't money for a $2,000 set of 75 cc chamber AFR heads. The question remains, will the Torker II be a significant improvement over the standard performer. The only reason I would consider it is because we have it.
71vette

Post by 71vette »

My experiences with the sbc torker 2 and its equivalent low rise weiand xcelerator is you will not see an improvement. Even if the car et'd the same at the track, it would be a detriment if the car is driven on the street. It is better off w/ its current intake. Ive willingly traded those low rise single planes for stock non egr spreadbore cast iron intakes. If you want to see some other results involving torker 2 tests look up the times David Freiburger has dyno'd that intake against others. He's tested that intake 2-3 times in the last 20 years.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

the torquerII is a dog. if there is any other choice, just toss it in the recycle bin.
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

How about the Holley 300-36 Street Dominator intake its a copy of the Z/28 - LT-1 intake from the late 60's early 70's was used on corvette 350-370 hp LT1 Vette's so it should clear the hood. Larger runners than the Edelbrock performer and can be found at a resemble price. I picked one up for a little over $100 everyone wants Air Gaps these days.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

6.50camaro wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:03 pm How about the Holley 300-36 Street Dominator intake its a copy of the Z/28 - LT-1 intake from the late 60's early 70's was used on corvette 350-370 hp LT1 Vette's so it should clear the hood. Larger runners than the Edelbrock performer and can be found at a resemble price. I picked one up for a little over $100 everyone wants Air Gaps these days.
The vettes that had this high rise intake had a LT-1/ L78 LS6 style hood with a styled raised center .
This intake is too tall for the stock base model 68 72 vette flat hood.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

rfoll wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:21 pm We are dealing with a tight budget here. The car owner want's to go fast at the track. As is now with a restricted exhaust and intake, the car will scare people in the passenger seat. Assuming an improved suspension and a shifter that works, I'm sure there is another easy 3 tenths in it with no changes to the motor. Realistically, the small heads are going to be the cork in the system. Everything on a 400 based engine needs to be bigger, but there isn't money for a $2,000 set of 75 cc chamber AFR heads. The question remains, will the Torker II be a significant improvement over the standard performer. The only reason I would consider it is because we have it.
No, it will reduce power in most of the range that motor is being used in and won't add appreciably above where it's being used.
Don't waste money on gaskets.
Last edited by Tom68 on Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

The correct drop base air cleaner will be part of your solution too.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:19 pm The correct drop base air cleaner will be part of your solution too.
So far, I have been unable to find anything lower than what he has. Another possibility that occurred to me is the original Performer manifold. They are much larger and can be had cheap at a swap meet. I remember Big Joe speaking well abut the power he could make with one. I have no clue as to how high the carb pad is.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

If you are using the aftermarket version of the 3310 carb with this air cleaner you want to cut off the choke horn for best results. The oem version carbs were different.
had down leg boosters and a shorter choke horn than the aftermarket carbs.
OER restoration parts has the correct air cleaner base you want. This is the lowest height air cleaner you will find and the right one for this job. May need minor mods to fit it.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

If not big on chopping off the choke horn the Proform HP style center body upgrade kit is sweet.