Promaxx project x heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

289nate
Expert
Expert

Re: Promaxx project x heads

Post by 289nate »

The rub for me is what is enough to be “fun” these days. I remember in my late teens thinking running high to mid 12’s was all I wanted.

Last little 289 .060 over I did was to run mid to low 11’s. It did that and pissed off the yuppies at the track perfectly.

The current 306 in the same car makes 555 hp on the engine dyno on Cali pump 91 by 7,100 rpm and ismeant to maintain the same level of fun and use as all those years before.

What was fun is no longer remotely fun FOR ME. There isn’t a China head that would allow me to have “fun” by today’s standard with what I had built without spending good money over bad.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

I don't know who did the the CAD work on the Pro Max head foundry tooling, but it is some of the best work I have seen.

We considered improving some foundry tooling at Edelbrock to make them even but they didn't want to spend the money.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
289nate
Expert
Expert

Post by 289nate »

Edelbrock is a disaster.
smokie

Post by smokie »

Monza355 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:40 am It sounds like a fun combo already. I would try it out as it is. You can always upgrade the heads or port them later if you feel there’s something left on the table. Then you’ll have a valid information for comparison as well.

I also think there would be gains to had with a lower numerical gear like a 4.10. Also you didn’t mentioned what converter you have and how much your car weighs when you listed your combo.
Converter is a 3500 stall, it's a 85 Monte Carlo ss, so I would think it's about 3,500 pounds.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

289nate wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:07 am Edelbrock is a disaster.
The problem is the industry/market is not profitable enough to justify the cost modern equipment and skilled employees to improve on OEM designs on the high end, or manufacturing efficiency on the low end.

We were fortunate enough to enjoy some good times.
289nate
Expert
Expert

Post by 289nate »

They could’ve been completely stagnant with their current product line. While paying attention to keep people doing R and D with a small twist.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

289nate wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:54 am They could’ve been completely stagnant, their current product line. While paying attention to keep people doing R and D area.
They couldn't afford enough R&D to get to the cutting edge.
The machine shop was a much bigger problem, you could design great parts but they couldn't make them.
The scrap rate was astounding.

I taught some of the machinists and programmers how to work in modern methods, but as soon as they got it, they went to work at SpaceX for 2X the pay.