Engine Identification Help

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

twobit

Engine Identification Help

Post by twobit »

Hello,

I signed up a few minutes ago because I need some help and don't really know where to start. My name is Joe and I live in Tulsa Oklahoma, I have a 1960 Apache that I have been working on here and there over the last couple of years. I have addressed several things but now it's time to start on the engine and I need a little help to figure out where to look on this engine to find out what it is. I suspect its a vortec 350 but I would like to locate the numbers so I can do some research; the problem is what I have looked up online on where to find the info doesn't pan out. Can someone please tell me where I can locate the info on the block on this engine. I'd like to find out what year, what size.. essentially the specifications of this engine. Thanks in advance guys.
truck2.jpg
truck.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Engine Identification Help

Post by Tom68 »

Definitely a Vortec vertical bolted intake manifold 5.7.
Stamped number should be under the alternator on the block deck surface.
Casting number behind drivers side head.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Baprace »

twobit , count the intake to cylinder head bolts , 8 bolts ( 2 on each corner and vertical it is a Vortech ) 12 bolts ( 6 on each bank with top of bolt angled towards the middle of the engine it is a TBI )
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Baprace wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:29 am twobit , count the intake to cylinder head bolts , 8 bolts ( 2 on each corner and vertical it is a Vortech ) 12 bolts ( 6 on each bank with top of bolt angled towards the middle of the engine it is a TBI )
That aint no TBI.

and here's a TBI with 8 hold down bolts.

Vortec TBI.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Baprace »

Tom68 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:25 am
Baprace wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:29 am twobit , count the intake to cylinder head bolts , 8 bolts ( 2 on each corner and vertical it is a Vortech ) 12 bolts ( 6 on each bank with top of bolt angled towards the middle of the engine it is a TBI )
That aint no TBI.
and here's a TBI with 8 hold down bolts.
Vortec TBI.jpg
Tom68 , I stand corrected , my point was whether the intake had 8 bolts ( Vortech ) or 12 bolts ( Non Vortech ) , I can't really tell from the picture , thanks for the info. You learn something every-day.
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

All the visible accessories in the pictures are from 1996-2002 L30/305 or L31/350 trucks/vans. Hard to imagine someone would reuse all that external garbage without also keeping the same base engine underneath it.
DON'T PANIC
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Looks just like the engine in my 99 Tahoe. It almost looks like they put the old body on a new chassis. Even the brake master cylinder, fuse panel etc looks the same.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
twobit

Post by twobit »

Thank you so much for the info guys. When we get to Christmas break I am going to be off work where I can have some time to look everything over and will take some pictures to go from there. Very thankful all of you took some time to respond. Merry Christmas guys.

joe