General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

DCal
Expert
Expert

Re: How much swirl is too much swirl

Post by DCal »

[/quote]

Everything I have found suggests the piston top is just as important to preserve the tumble effect as anything on the head side. Not sure how any of us can really quantify that within our budgets, maybe DCal can chime in.

[/quote]

Bob, You know the drill...The customer is king and we can only make suggestions, so when they ask for a dish or an inverted dome we are required to do that. However, I will not hesitate to offer something that may enhance the program if its applicable based on studying used pistons for 42 years.
How domes affect the flow is visible with your eye, especially if the customer requests MAX compression. I'm embarrassed by some of the pistons that get shipped with ugly domes but again the customer is king and some of them will whittle the dome some. Juan Mendoza and I worked on his 427 BBC s/s motor, every .050 that we cut the dome picked up power until it stopped. Don't remember all the details but it was a happy engine. So that kinda backs up what I've said on this forum before : once you've got adequate compression any higher is just bragging rights and you just narrowed your tuning window. Get it right and you can probably take out some timing and jet and widen your tuning window. Pumping losses are a fearful thing.