General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

JC565Ford
Expert
Expert
Some updates to an Old A460 tunnel ram - R&D

Post by JC565Ford »

Before:

For some manifold R&D , and comparison to my current intake with the spacer inserts I had Paul Swartz make for me. This is a 7" long runner:

The old manifold could use a shorter runner, and I figured the best way to get there, other than cutting the plenum off shortening the runners and then weld it back on was to lower the floor. To lower the floor the outside of the plenum needed to be built up quite a bit:

After the build up was done it was get to milling down the floor:

Still another .185" to go from where the quarters are sitting:

The runners in this old manifold are approx 2.7" x 1.9" = 5.13 sq in. They're going to be opened up to about 5.8"

After two weekends of playing on the old Bridgeport this is where it finished up this evening :

I have some thought to give it in finishing off the intake runner entry shape. Mummert will be involved in that and the end result.
Last edited by JC565Ford on Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
JC565Ford
Expert
Expert
Re: Some updates to an Old A460 tunnel ram - R&D

Post by JC565Ford »

Come to find out I didn't need all the build up on the outside (front and rear) of the plenum and made a small mess roughing it out this evening.

if this bit were a tractor it would be a D11-R. This things moves some material like NOW ....

Not what I was originally thinking, but after I got started making a mess, what the hell, just make a mess and get it out of the way:

I'll get this smoothed out over the next week or two:
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

JC565Ford wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:16 am Come to find out I didn't need all the build up on the outside (front and rear) of the plenum and made a small mess roughing it out this evening.

if this bit were a tractor it would be a D11-R. This things moves some material like NOW ....

Not what I was originally thinking, but after I got started making a mess, what the hell, just make a mess and get it out of the way:

I'll get this smoothed out over the next week or two:
Jon if your interested in a set of t@d steel shaft rokers to suit your heads 1.70 ratio brand new $2,300..........pm if your keen and ill send you details for where they are.
JC565Ford
Expert
Expert

Post by JC565Ford »

bob460 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:17 am
Jon if your interested in a set of t@d steel shaft rokers to suit your heads 1.70 ratio brand new $2,300..........pm if your keen and ill send you details for where they are.
If only I didn't have at least 4 other thing to apply the $2,300 to right now, I'd be calling you.

Thanks,
JC565Ford
Expert
Expert

Post by JC565Ford »

I thought I had posted this graph from Paul Swartz last night:
http://www.swartzracingmanifolds.com/tech/index.htm

7,200-7,400 range. I'm at the upper limit of his scale.