maxwedge just for fun

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

rebelrouser
Guru
Guru
maxwedge just for fun

Post by rebelrouser »

OK just for FUN I will share my latest project, maybe as old as I am getting might be my last race car. So doing a 34 Dodge fiberglass hot rod for nostalgia racing just for fun. Completed car should weigh in at 2,500 lbs with me in it. .030 440 with stock stroke, and trick flow 270 heads, 63 max wedge crossram, 750 AFB carbs. 11 to 1 compression with a comp solid roller 1.6 rockers .690 lift 111 center installer at 109 intake 263@ .050 exh 271 @.050

Performance trends said it would make 605 ft. lbs @ 4800 and 616 hp @ 5900 rpm it actually made on my dyno 605 ftlbs @ 4800 rpm and 596hp@5400 rpm.
Trying to keep it around 600HP so the stock block holds up for a while. Really happy with it'

I am using stagger jetting advice Don Dvorak gave me several years ago before he died, for the cross-ram carbs. So, here are my questions before I pull it off the dyno. I have an exhaust temp in each cylinder, and two O2 sensors one for each side of the engine in the collectors. And my dyno headers are 1 7/8 38 inches long, the headers I am building for the car are step headers 1 7/8 to 2 inch and 30 inches long. The O2 sensors show drivers side a little rich but the exhaust temps are pretty close, and the plugs do not show all that rich to me. Going to finish the headers and try them. But I am thinking about just leaving the jetting alone. I ran a cross ram on a NSS nostalgia car a few years ago and the O2 sensors always showed it rich on drivers' side, never got it to balance out.
just open to comments and any advice.
Hope you can read dyno data don't know how to post without just taking picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: maxwedge just for fun

Post by PackardV8 »

Fun project and one can appreciate the eye appeal and nostalgia of the cross ram intake. However, the jetting problems you experience are endemic. Run it as is and have fun!

A friend of mine built one a few years ago and and the local dyno guy refused to try to make it equalize. He said, "Been there, done that, never again. Get the good high-rise single 4-bbl intake and it will make as much power out of the box; no jetting problems. Get the tunnel ram and make more power out of the box; no jetting problems."
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

Yes, I went with a modern type of intake on an engine that I ran a cross ram on, and it picked up 2 tenths so, yes, they look neat but are not the best technology.
71vette

Post by 71vette »

I dont have any technical advice to offer, but I do wish to encourage you. The whole deal sounds really cool. Please post updates as this project goes along. Recently I have been day dreaming of a 62 polara w/ a max wedge top end. But I already have too many projects and will gladly vicariously enjoy yours.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

An engine on the dyno does not take into account the G-forces involved at the starting line of a drag race and throughout the entire run.

SO, just be aware.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
FGaspare

Post by FGaspare »

I just finished one also, dyno'd the day before Christmas . Mine was +.040 KB with quench dome, 452 heads w/bowl work, 10:1comp.,solid roller,576/570 lift, dur.@ .050 intake 260, dur.@ .050 ex.266 and 108 lobe sep. This has a A&A cross ram built by Rick Allison ( aftermarket) no mods. My friend Dave from Woodruff Carbs built me a smaller set of Holleys that really picked it up along with re-curving the stock dist. On pump gas it made no less than 550tq from 2500 to 6200 with peak@610 at 5500. HP peaked at 666 @ 6100. Going in a 63 Savoy street car, should be fun !
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

FGaspare wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:26 am I just finished one also, dyno'd the day before Christmas . Mine was +.040 KB with quench dome, 452 heads w/bowl work, 10:1comp.,solid roller,576/570 lift, dur.@ .050 intake 260, dur.@ .050 ex.266 and 108 lobe sep. This has a A&A cross ram built by Rick Allison ( aftermarket) no mods. My friend Dave from Woodruff Carbs built me a smaller set of Holleys that really picked it up along with re-curving the stock dist. On pump gas it made no less than 550tq from 2500 to 6200 with peak@610 at 5500. HP peaked at 666 @ 6100. Going in a 63 Savoy street car, should be fun !
Yes it should be fun, attached is the NSS car I raced for a lot of years. What size holleys?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FGaspare

Post by FGaspare »

We started out with the vac.sec. 750's that came with the car/engine. The carbs Dave built were some FFFord bodies I think because he liked the boosters, I think 585cfm and he put aftermarket vac. adv. pods that were externally adjustable. The curve really came around as we opened the vac. sec. sooner. I'm not sure which baseplate he used along with metering blocks, I will find out. It made a good jump in both HP & flattened out the torque curve like Kansas !