Inexpensive 350 Build

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ClassicComp
Expert
Expert
Re: Inexpensive 350 Build

Post by ClassicComp »

What advantage would there be if you cut smaller ring grooves in that piston?
What problem will the empty 5/64” grooves cause?
results speak for themselves
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

ClassicComp wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:26 pm What advantage would there be if you cut smaller ring grooves in that piston?

I think while you guys try and figure out how to get a metric ring pack on my 160.00 pistons, we're going to keep it moving forward. I probably should have mentioned my son wants to sell this engine when we are done testing it at the drag strip, and it needs to be able to go into a truck or a muscle car and be mild, power brakes and all, that's reason for the cam, and well the L98 heads are junk, there's not much you can do without welding and major surgery, the heads are where the mistake was made. More pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

Block decked
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

Block done
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

vortecpro wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:06 pm
I think while you guys try and figure out how to get a metric ring pack on my 160.00 pistons, we're going to keep it moving forward. I probably should have mentioned my son wants to sell this engine when we are done testing it at the drag strip, and it needs to be able to go into a truck or a muscle car and be mild, power brakes and all, that's reason for the cam, and well the L98 heads are junk, there's not much you can do without welding and major surgery, the heads are where the mistake was made. More pictures
Is there really a mistake when you're just out and building and having a good time?

When's the first pass?
Kevin
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

Just keep the L31 pistons in mind for the next one (and remember to avoid the dumb ones with the 2mm top rings).
DON'T PANIC
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

skinny z wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:19 pm
vortecpro wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:06 pm
Is there really a mistake when you're just out and building and having a good time?

When's the first pass?
It hasn't been that much fun for the results, but I'd say pretty soon.........
L98 350 engine.jpeg
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

I'd call this thread

"A properly built inexpensive 350"

There's 383's getting thrown together out there that could cost similar but are absolute junkers.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
Justa1time
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Justa1time »

ClassicComp wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:26 pm What advantage would there be if you cut smaller ring grooves in that piston?
I remember something of a ring spacer being avaliable once when I called around looking for a more desirable ring pack option for an older style piston. Have you looked into that?

Turbo camino. You hit the nail on the head by stating that the op's chosen pistons top ring is listed in standard measurement.

The piston I added to the conversation lists the top ring measurement in metric.

Take a look at the op's chosen pistons secondary & oil control rings. They are also listed in standard measurement.

The piston I added to the conversation lists the secondary & oil control rings listed in Metric.

If you compare the Op's selected pistons secondary & oil control ring specifications to the pistion I added to the conversation you may find a difference between the two.

Vortecpro & Son
As for the properly done inexpensive 350 build I really enjoy this thread. Thank you for sharing with us & I can't wait to see thee experiences and results you post as you move forward!

Bryan from Oregon
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

How much power to be gained on this budget build if you went to skinny metric rings vs. 5/64 rings?
Jim
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

15-20 HP if not more, lower temps, cleaner oil, longer bore life?
DON'T PANIC
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

Skinnier 2nd ring & oil ring is wasted with the 2mm top ring.
DON'T PANIC
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

turbo camino wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:43 pm 15-20 HP if not more, lower temps, cleaner oil, longer bore life?
15 to 20 at this power level ?
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

turbo camino wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:43 pm 15-20 HP if not more, lower temps, cleaner oil, longer bore life?
I think you're right on that statement. I bought a used 99 Suburban with a rod knock L-31 350 and put a new engine I had sitting around in that truck. After I got the new one running I decided to pull the old 350 apart to see what's wrong with it. Sure it was a spun rod, but after I too the heads off the cyl walls looked like new, even still had the crosshatch pattern in the cyls. I was super impressed to find those L-31's used the pistons with small rings. I am sorry I got rid of that short block and gave it away for free.
rgalajda
Pro
Pro

Post by rgalajda »

1980RS wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:45 pm
I think you're right on that statement. I bought a used 99 Suburban with a rod knock L-31 350 and put a new engine I had sitting around in that truck. After I got the new one running I decided to pull the old 350 apart to see what's wrong with it. Sure it was a spun rod, but after I too the heads off the cyl walls looked like new, even still had the crosshatch pattern in the cyls. I was super impressed to find those L-31's used the pistons with small rings. I am sorry I got rid of that short block and gave it away for free.
A big reduction in bore wear came when they switched to fuel injection . The superior fuel metering on a cold start as opposed to a carburetor.