Big Joe pontiac 301 stroker build

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

1974TA
Re: Big Joe pontiac 301 stroker build

Post by 1974TA »

I realize this thread is a few years old and the motor was built many years ago. I am in the process of purchasing an 80 Trans am Turbo. 301T.

Will this build or similar work with the turbo set up? I realize the intake issue would need to be addressed. Thought was to cut down maybe an aftermarket HO aluminum intake and have a 3 hole flange adaptor machined from billet that would attach to the intake.

Thinking KRE heads as the aluminum is lighter and may help reduce detonation issues under boost.

Not yet sure of cam but roller cam to be determined.

I am thinking 500 hp + and a redline of 6000-6200. Rev limiter set to about 5800. 4L60e Trans. 3:42 rear. 62 mm turbo. Ultimately running with a sniper II set up. May start with original Q-jet.

I want to keep everything below the stock turbo hood.

Looking forward to hearing thoughts.

Bill
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Before starting to whittle on an aftermarket intake, better take a closer look at the OEM. With small displacement and a turbo and fitting under the hood, it's about as good as one can do.

The Poncho was an orphan, but the 4.3 turbos have a large following and much of what works for them will translate to your build.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
1974TA

Post by 1974TA »

Thanks Jack.

I really prefer new heads. The 301 heads are cast iron and have an odd siamese port configuration. The KRE heads bolt on and you can use a standard 301 head gasket with minor mods. The KRE D port heads are the same height as the 301 heads. The issue is an intake to match the ports on the new heads. The same issue is there with any other Pontiac head as well. The aluminum also helps with reducing detonation as the heat transfers more efficiently through the aluminum. The HO intakes were pretty low profile and you can machine down the square bore flange if needed. Plus they are aluminum too.
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

I have three questions:

1. Who ground the crank?
2. Who balanced the assembly?
3. Who did the heads?
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

Joe had the 3 3//4 stroke cut local in the LA area,Dave at SD performance did the #15 heads,im sure Engine supply balanced the rotating assm,they were Big Joes machine shop.I would worry about the head gasket as the water jacket and oil drain back are VERY close.The second 383-301 I did Engine supply did a small weld on the block to be safe.The second one I built I used a forged crank and had the thrust welded instead of spacers.NOT for the weak of wallet.Intake is a huge problem,nothing that a check book and a sheetmetal intake wont fix.For water X over just cut on off a 301 intake.PM if you need anything else.Tom
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

Find a turbo 3.8 to stuff in there.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

I remember years ago guys with 301 Firebirds showing up at the track with 455s in their place. Turbo that and see what happens.
So much to do, so little time...