Electronic ignition on the flywheel

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Electronic ignition on the flywheel

Post by PackardV8 »

hoffman900 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:07 pm I know of a racer who did this on their A-Series and was asked to remove it by SVRA. FYI in case you run with them.
How long ago and in what region? Out here, they're hoping to get anyone to show up.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

PackardV8 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:20 pm
hoffman900 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:07 pm I know of a racer who did this on their A-Series and was asked to remove it by SVRA. FYI in case you run with them.
How long ago and in what region? Out here, they're hoping to get anyone to show up.
About 6 years ago and at Watkins Glen.
-Bob
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

hoffman900 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:51 pm About 6 years ago and at Watkins Glen.
Third hand gossip from NW SVRA guys I know, if you just show up and run mid-pack, no one will say anything about anything. There was a guy with a high-dollar Parnelli Jones Boss Mustang tribute car; from the sound and speed obviously running a NASCAR 358" engine. He never raised his hood and let the SVRA guys win at the end and he was never protested. However, if you're beating a really competitive guy, he's likely to protest the weight of your lug nuts. Seen it happen.
Jack Vines
Obsolete Engineering
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

PackardV8 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:47 pm
hoffman900 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:51 pm About 6 years ago and at Watkins Glen.
Third hand gossip from NW SVRA guys I know, if you just show up and run mid-pack, no one will say anything about anything. There was a guy with a high-dollar Parnelli Jones Boss Mustang tribute car; from the sound and speed obviously running a NASCAR 358" engine. He never raised his hood and let the SVRA guys win at the end and he was never protested. However, if you're beating a really competitive guy, he's likely to protest the weight of your lug nuts. Seen it happen.
I doubt it was that, and was probably a Cobra Automotive built 302ci motor that Bill-C on here builds for them. They have a full Calvin Elston built exhaust as well. Those are built to the limit of the rules, but are very much SVRA legal.

I’m nor really in the “well I’m midpack so it’s okay to cheat” camp, but just giving the OP a heads up.
-Bob
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

hoffman900 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:03 pm I doubt it was that, and was probably a Cobra Automotive built 302ci motor that Bill-C on here builds for them. They have a full Calvin Elston built exhaust as well. Those are built to the limit of the rules, but are very much SVRA legal.
Well, Bill, I've been mistaken before and since this guy was the only one who never raised his hood in two days, I don't have photos. But having listened to every variety of SBF on this track since they were new, including Boss 302"s with Calvin Elston exhausts and having heard recent NASCAR 358"s on the same track, I hear a difference in the intensity, the peak RPM and the sound. He also pulled by everyone else in class at will. At the risk of being wrong, I'll go on believing my eyes and ears.
Jack Vines
Obsolete Engineering
Sir Yun
Expert
Expert

Post by Sir Yun »

I'm going to be awfully dull :)

If not horribly worn and properly laterally and axially supported it should be relatively ok. Measure slop in the gear engagement as well as in all axis and work from there. Axial play also translates in timing changes with a helical gear.
If that is all over the place a 123 or CST ignition is not much use. a new drive gear is about $100 and shims a few bucks.

you could fit one of these https://www.raceconover.com/shop/megajolte-mk2 . I have used a very early megajolt lite jr and that worked fine but the whole trigger setup was fiddly. these generally want a fixed amount of teeth -1 but you could probably use the teeth from the starter gear and shorten one but you would need to specify way more teeth.

I would keep it simple.
“There is no authority who decides what is a good idea.”
― Richard Feynman

Expert ? Me ? ...whhhhaaahahhaahahaha
Sst3193

Post by Sst3193 »

Hasn’t been that many years ago that the Dodge Dakotas had a Hall effect pickup in the top of the bell housing. Had to change one and considered doing it to my 440.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

YES ... The turn of the century Dodge Magnum 318's and 360's used a flywheel triggered ignition. Turning the distributor simply changed the injector timing as well as rotor phasing.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Daryl S.

Post by Daryl S. »

I have a '95 Nissan 240 SX 5 spd which has a VR sensor at the top of the bellhousing. Don't know how they triggered it, I'm not using the trigger as it's not going into a 240 SX.