Cranking compression results are in

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cab0154
Pro
Pro

Re: Cranking compression results are in

Post by cab0154 »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:10 am Ny stuf is based on real world. Way before the internet.
Had to help way too many friends that got wraped up in internet folk lore.. Real world stuff. I got friends with dynos that also know how to test., that agree.
They de-tune their xustomers stuf dor street pump gas and educate them on what works on pump gas andwhat works on 98,,.,- 100 octane big power tune up.Max perf with reliability. Stuff is expensive these days.
what kind of dyno? we use a stuska xs-111 for the motorcycle engines. but for the good running v8s its pretty close to its limit. over the years ive been lucky to befriend someone who has forgotten more about pro stock and pro mod engine building than I will ever know, and he lets me use his sf-4000hd for the good running stuff. we dont have everything to do complete machine work because a lot of our stuff is nikasil, but we have a valve grinder, a mill, a way to coat pistons, a lathe for various things and an old kwik way hone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Anyone who thinks the low RPM engine will be faster just does not have as much experience as the rest of us" -The late, great Joe Sherman.

You wont beat anyone if you do everything the same as everyone.
Tartilla

Post by Tartilla »

SilverChicken wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:14 pm
Tuner wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:06 pm I have gone back and read the OP a couple times and don't fully understand what the question(s?) are the OP is asking, so SilverChicken would you read it again yourself and restate your case with a different interpretation, perhaps separate the ideas with paragraphs.

I think questions are about the 230 compression pressure and 11/1 CR, "is that too much?" Answer: no.

The use of a proper advance curve for best power and avoid knock is a non sequitur because that has been common practice since the invention of spark advance mechanisms.

A hundred years ago my Grandmothers knew what to do with the lever at the steering wheel to control timing as required to drive a Model T Ford, but that seems beyond the understanding of today's yoots.
Essentially, I know about what is safe for a traditional SBC but this gen2 LT1 is a departure from that. I don’t know what is a safe upper limit for an aluminum-headed LT1 intended to be driven on the street and mildly raced. I simply wanted to know if anyone out here had much experience with these engines and taking them well beyond stock and although they are capable of more, how much more? Is 11.5:1 with a mild cam too much? Is 230psi cranking too much? But then in the few helpful posts here, I realized, like DCR, that cranking compression isn’t a very good indicator of predet caused by running cylinder pressures and temps. I already understood that, and why, there are external factors that also change an engine’s detonation tolerance too, but I was looking for a little more basic guidance.
Ellwein Engines does LT1 383 type projects almost exclusively.

He has all his customer builds on his website with details and dyno results etc.

Worth checking out if you're doing LT1 stuff.

Cooling...one if the SBC cooling issues drawing from the intake, is the alternating flow from the heads. As one head gets hotter, it increases flow from the greater pressure, while shunting the other head flow. Other head heats up, while flowing head cools. Cycle repeats. Hard to say how much this really affects things unless you're on the edge.

Reverse flow LT1 would eliminate that issue.

Smokey's solution was to draw coolant from the front of the heads feeding into a Y with a Thermostat.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Dave B wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:05 pm 20240319_183836.jpg20240319_183522.jpgSo f bird since the whole world is seeking your race skills and all out knowledge of everything what did you build tday? This is what I worked on . Anti reversion plates on 1700 plus hp na engine
Thank you for sharing Dave B....the rest of the Internet is still waiting...