Lube for valve stems?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Lube for valve stems?

Post by mag2555 »

If valve stems and guides can’t be fired up for the first time and live on oil which will be what they have to live on for there usage life time, then something is wrong .
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
WHM_engineering

Post by WHM_engineering »

its as much down to preference as anything i think, with the caveats aside of stuff that does not work, theres alot of products that do.

I have an official build document direct from the COSWORTH factory for their all singing and dancing 2.5l duratec customer engines - In the document, it instructs the builder to get STP transmission oil treatment (yes you read that right) from the parts department to use on cams, lifters and guides.

once its wet and slippery, you'll be alright if the machining is done correct and the tolerances are as they should be.
when you are trying to put a band aid on wear, poor machining and bad clearances by lube, thats something different
Reroy Brown

Post by Reroy Brown »

mag2555 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:11 pm If valve stems and guides can’t be fired up for the first time and live on oil which will be what they have to live on for there usage life time, then something is wrong .
I agree... I've personally been using just a touch of Clevite Bearing Guard on the stems when assembling heads now and I've had good luck with that and I run my guide clearances on the race stuff .001"-.0012" on the Intake and .0015" on the exhaust. That's mostly CHE bronze guides with Goodson carbide reamers.. Big fan of the K-LINE bronze liners too

-Reroy
MELWAY
Guru
Guru

Post by MELWAY »

Reroy Brown wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:14 pm
mag2555 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:11 pm If valve stems and guides can’t be fired up for the first time and live on oil which will be what they have to live on for there usage life time, then something is wrong .
I agree... I've personally been using just a touch of Clevite Bearing Guard on the stems when assembling heads now and I've had good luck with that and I run my guide clearances on the race stuff .001"-.0012" on the Intake and .0015" on the exhaust. That's mostly CHE bronze guides with Goodson carbide reamers.. Big fan of the K-LINE bronze liners too

-Reroy
In the CHE guide do you run a Goodson reamer and the hone that last .001 out ?
3370lb Sedan 9.89@136MPH 358chevN/A
Reroy Brown

Post by Reroy Brown »

MELWAY wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:10 pm
Reroy Brown wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:14 pm

-Reroy
In the CHE guide do you run a Goodson reamer and the hone that last .001 out ?
Depending on the stem size I normally don't have to hone too much out. It's normally somewhere in that neighborhood... Honed using a hand drill with Sunnen tooling and the head in Goodson's bench top honing station. The ones that get the most use are HGR-3245 and HGR-3430. They're both a piloted carbide reamer, real nice stuff been using the same ones for years and it still cuts dead straight. I have a 5/16, 8mm, and 11/32 in those reamers.. worth it for sure

-Reroy
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Re:

Post by swampbuggy »

RW TECH wrote: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:04 pm Novadude,

This board isn't structured to feed egos for their moderators & patrons and it's not here as a masked attempt for frequent patrons & moderators to expand their business.

It's here to share information to the larger majority so they don't:

- Buy the wrong stuff
- Do the wrong things with their stuff
- Break the stuff they bought because of mis-use

Never be bashful about asking because there's no such thing as a dumb question. Since the members of this forum do not equate to any particular "scene" or "social clique" you should have no worries about approaching any of us.

This is a great reply and comment , Mark H.