How can I get this to seal?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: How can I get this to seal?

Post by ProPower engines »

travis wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:51 am The carb base is flat. The manifold flange is flat except for that eroded area on the left side.

I'm going to try the $10 solution first (RTV). If that doesn't work, then off to the machine shop.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Here's something to consider RTV silicone in not for use with gasoline.
I did this about 45 years ago on a ford just like what your working on and I used RTV to seal it and while it seems to work at the time it was my daily driver PU.
Then one day I was driving along the road and it started to run like a POS cause the RTV swelled up and cracked the spacer plate leaving me stuck on the side of the road a few months later.

Even if you draw file the carb flange then put some good epoxy on the surface to fill the eroded area then draw file it flat and use the soft pliable carb gasket like the MR Gasket ones and double gasket both sides of the spacer as I did that will solve the leak. \:D/ \:D/
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Looks like an easy job, just not making too much mess is the actual challenge.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

The RTV I got to try this time is permatex 29132, and is supposed to be gasoline compatible. Iirc I used either the high temp orange or the ultra-copper before and it worked for a while, but it turns into a mushy goo after long term fuel exposure.
I picked up another stock 351w iron 4bbl intake yesterday from member RCJ (thanks again!) that is in much better shape, so I've got another option now.