Another reason not to buy Speedmaster shit

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

benno318
Pro
Pro

Re: Another reason not to buy Speedmaster shit

Post by benno318 »

for those in australia, who can remember the fake "torque-power" clone vn head intake manifolds being sold with the "torque" ground off but "power" remaining on the runner?
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

Saw his video last night. That makes it very difficult to justify buying any of their products, regardless of price or quality. I retract my previous statements about some of their stuff. Actually used the Broader Performance logo on their copy of his parts and sold them through summit/jegs. Low down, dirty dogs.
treyrags
Pro
Pro

Post by treyrags »

Unbelievable. Messing with the little guy now. I have been running two C6 bodies from Broader Performance for many years and they work flawlessly.
machinedave
Guru
Guru

Post by machinedave »

I've been disgusted with speedmaster and procomp for years. We used to fix their junk cylinder heads for people but now we won't touch anything they make and we can all help by not buying any of their poorly made copied parts.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

If Summit had any integrity they would pull ALL the Speedmaster stuff off their shelves and never sell any of the Speedmaster stuff again.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

There was story going around a few years ago, something I read in a newspaper about an artist who painted and sold his work at local flea markets and such. Just an honest guy cranking out one individual piece and then another.
Years later, this same artist was on a tour of China for some recreation. At a vendor's market there, he saw one of his paintings. And multiple copies of it too.
Getting back to the States he approached his lawyer about this and the copyright infringement that was evident and was told, after some investigation and inquiry, is that there was no way on the planet was there going to be any recourse or recovery for the obvious thievery. The layers to break though the foreign governments bureaucracy was just too deep for any meaningful appeal to be made. It was done and dusted.
Kevin
Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

Post by Mike Laws »

Bad situation. This should not be happening.

I wrote this back in Jan 2022:

How Do Knock-off Companies Effect the Racing Industry?
Let's admit it - the aftermarket racing industry faces many challenges today. From activist groups to government interference to unscrupulous companies to outright thieves, the challenges are real.
Despite it all, racers want to race and most aftermarket companies wish to manufacture and/or sell products and services for a fair price while making a fair margin.
Thankfully, the majority of the companies in this great industry are fair-minded and honorable. Some are not.
What is a knock-off company? To coin an old racing-industry phrase; "R&D" for a knock-off company stands for "Rip-off & Duplicate". The knock-off companies are either intellectually incapable of doing proper research & development or simply prefer to copy the hard work of others so as not to incur the costs of proper R&D. In either case, morality and decent business practices are not a consideration.
If you're a racer or a re-seller, you might be asking yourself; why do I care? What difference does it make to me? For those truly interested, the answers are apparent. Racing is a sport founded on innovation. Quicker, faster, better is always the goal. Being quicker, faster and better requires innovation. Innovation requires research and development. Research and development requires talent, work, time and money.
Honorable companies produce innovative parts (intellectual property) with the understanding that their customer-base appreciates the dedication to fair-minded business practices. If/when the honorable company debuts a new, innovative product, the equally honorable purchaser trusts that the company's new product has been properly designed & tested by the company, is ready to help their racing program and knows that the price of this new product includes a reasonable % to recover the costs of the new product. It's a professional win-win partnership.
The knock-off companies simply steal the intellectual property. Why? It's a thief's mindset. It's always easier for them to steal than innovate. So when these knock-off companies steal, they can set their price without the need to recover any R&D costs. They will usually undercut the price of the honorable companies, while making more money because they have no development costs involved. Their only development cost is in the form of emotional-persuasion. It's an age-old game that still works today. These companies usually have a front-man with a silver tongue. He/she are the consummate 'feel good' types. 'Welcome to our family', 'Gosh-darn it, we love you so', 'we are so honored that you're a part of our family', 'You are the best racers we've ever met'... We've heard it all before, yet some still take it all in. They defend the silver tongue without even checking their stories and worse yet; defend them, even when provided with the truth.
Would you rather buy a delay box or camshaft or valve body or carburetor from the company that designs, builds, tests, proves them or from a company that copies them?
Mike Laws Performance
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:45 pm
Chris_Hamilton wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:16 pm Speedmaster is a POS company. Summit Is verging on it as well, selling this shit.

There will always be people who COPY someone else's successful part but, to actually put the originator's name on it and try to pass it off as the real thing, is just "way over the line".

There needs to be some sort of major repercussions for this kind of act. Absolutely atrocious.
"Knock offs" are always going to be out there but, actually putting the oribigator's name of the "knock off" part and passing it off as if it was the original should be the major issue here.
Summit should take all the Speedmaster stuff off their shelves and not sell any of that stuff from them for starters, as a first repercussion ...
do they have the integrity to do that ???
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

If they can make a profit off it.. probably not. Summit and jegs original founders are long gone, replaced with corporate investment groups at the helm. Safe to say integrity takes a back seat to quarterly profits. It's not just them, it's everything everywhere now days. Why run a company you love and believe in with integrity, concern for your vendors? It will not justify their bloated salary and annual bonuses. Only profit keeps them in their jobs.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

It's one thing to sell a copy of something, but to use another person's name is outright fraud.
cab0154
Pro
Pro

Post by cab0154 »

I just checked on Summit, where Jay bought the one he used for the video. Looks like they pulled them. You woulda thought someone at summit wouldve looked at what they were selling, but i guess not.
"Anyone who thinks the low RPM engine will be faster just does not have as much experience as the rest of us" -The late, great Joe Sherman.

You wont beat anyone if you do everything the same as everyone.
treyrags
Pro
Pro

Post by treyrags »

cab0154 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:49 am I just checked on Summit, where Jay bought the one he used for the video. Looks like they pulled them. You woulda thought someone at summit wouldve looked at what they were selling, but i guess not.
Yes, they replied immediately on his You Tube video with an apology and stated they were pulling the item.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

treyrags wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:16 am
cab0154 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:49 am I just checked on Summit, where Jay bought the one he used for the video. Looks like they pulled them. You woulda thought someone at summit wouldve looked at what they were selling, but i guess not.
Yes, they replied immediately on his You Tube video with an apology and stated they were pulling the item.
Just that part, everything else from speedmaster is still there.
If you want to get their attention you pull everything they have to offer, stop all orders. I suspect if he had not made a video they would not have bothered to pull the part.
houser45
Pro
Pro

Post by houser45 »

Being in the engine business for 20 years plus I have became angry with summit and jegs. They are cut throat and only want to sell parts to the general public. I no longer allow carry in internal parts. I order them or i dont work on the piece. This Speedmaster junk is a perfect example. I was blocked off the facebook page for summit by suggesting it would be better to order a custom grind from a real cam company other than buy a cam from the summit line of white box cams. If they are willing to sell speedmaster parts they are willing to cut corners on the summit branded parts.
Tobias Aldrete

Post by Tobias Aldrete »

houser45 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:39 pm Being in the engine business for 20 years plus I have became angry with summit and jegs. They are cut throat and only want to sell parts to the general public. I no longer allow carry in internal parts. I order them or i dont work on the piece. This Speedmaster junk is a perfect example. I was blocked off the facebook page for summit by suggesting it would be better to order a custom grind from a real cam company other than buy a cam from the summit line of white box cams. If they are willing to sell speedmaster parts they are willing to cut corners on the summit branded parts.

Pretty much agree but it’s not just Summit though my gripe with them has to go all the way back to the AFR12R head that never came to be, the TFS comes out with the 11R, hmmm, wonder what happened there. Summit gets VIP pricing, they buy in bulk and the big companies prefer to deal with them. Try getting a deal from ARP? Mahle? King? Holley? The end user can get about the same pricing with freight included.

Truth is a lot of the big companies are pushing direct to public sales, just have to raise your prices. Guess that’s why our sales with CP Carrillo, Ross Racing, Manton Pushrods, keep going up, thanks to the bigger companies screwing the engine builders.