Modify Diesel head for Gasoline?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

SpeedMan
Modify Diesel head for Gasoline?

Post by SpeedMan »

Ok, so I have maybe not thought this all the way through.. But an idea I think about now and then.

Diesel head, sink the valve seats, Diesel has more deck thickness? Make your own combustion chamber, probably a nice compact one, probably with a dished piston, but I guess you do want to try to get most of the combustion heat in the chamber and not the piston?

Put a sparkplug where you want it, but realistically where either the injector or glow plug already is.

The prechamber, too hard? Troublesome to modify?

The more I think of it, the harder it sounds to do, the less I think about it, the better the idea sounds...
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Modify Diesel head for Gasoline?

Post by mag2555 »

I hope your talking about a light weight 4 cylinder Diesel in a car, otherwise I think the whole exercise is a waste of brain power.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

Pulling tractors add a dist and spark plug to run on alcohol, pretty standard practice with the pro stock class.
inline6

Post by inline6 »

Have done a went a couple different ways for my NA engines I builds for pulling. The first I did was a heart shaped combustion plate between the block and head. The rest were a dished piston with valve reliefs.

Scott
Tractor Puller, 1959 IH 460 with 430cid NA Alcohol Inline 6 started its life as a D282

The only replacement for displacement is RPM!
juuhanaa
HotPass
HotPass

Post by juuhanaa »

A balanced person dares to stagger, and modify ports bigger
SpeedMan

Post by SpeedMan »

juuhanaa wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:51 pm
Really cool, sorry for the reeeeally late response, and thread resurrection, but I would not feel OK with not saying thanks.
inline6 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:00 pm Have done a went a couple different ways for my NA engines I builds for pulling. The first I did was a heart shaped combustion plate between the block and head. The rest were a dished piston with valve reliefs.

Scott
Thanks, the plate was smart, I thought maybe dished pistons would be the easiest route. Do you make D282 engines? Do you machine new precups and put the spark plug there? This gives me more ideas than I have time and energy for.. Haha..
inline6

Post by inline6 »

SpeedMan wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:30 pm
Really cool, sorry for the reeeeally late response, and thread resurrection, but I would not feel OK with not saying thanks.
inline6 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:00 pm Have done a went a couple different ways for my NA engines I builds for pulling. The first I did was a heart shaped combustion plate between the block and head. The rest were a dished piston with valve reliefs.

Scott
Thanks, the plate was smart, I thought maybe dished pistons would be the easiest route. Do you make D282 engines? Do you machine new precups and put the spark plug there? This gives me more ideas than I have time and energy for.. Haha..
Yeah a long time ago that D282 was built over 20 years ago, sold and retired to a street strip fox Mustang. A guy that live near Indianapolis who use to do all Indy Cylinder head iron repair welded up the injector holes and drilled and retapped for spark plugs. The plate worked ok, it created alot of heat as it was steel and shrouded the valves, the dish seemed to work better for these 2 reasons.
Tractor Puller, 1959 IH 460 with 430cid NA Alcohol Inline 6 started its life as a D282

inline6

Post by inline6 »

SpeedMan wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:30 pm

Scott
Yeah a long time ago that D282 was built over 20 years ago, sold and retired to a street strip fox Mustang. A guy that live near Indianapolis who use to do all Indy Cylinder head iron repair welded up the injector holes and drilled and retapped for spark plugs. The plate worked ok, it created alot of heat as it was steel and shrouded the valves, the dish seemed to work better for these 2 reasons. You can find the old 460 on YouTube under E&S Motorsports. Here is probably one of highest rpm runs at 6700rpm.

SpeedMan

Post by SpeedMan »

Really cool. I will try to get some hands-on info and try some stuff out. I also have been starting to wonder how hard is it to cast my own head too, but I sometimes like to think a bit too much about stuff, it is also much easier in the mind and on paper than to do it with the hands, and not least have the equipment to do some of it.
Thanks

Jarl K.