best epoxy for using alky

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

PRH

best epoxy for using alky

Post by PRH »

i have to repair a set of SBC AFR heads someone sent me after they ported right through the pushrod pinch area in a few different ports.
a couple of the holes will likely end up being the size of a thumbnail by the time i prep the surfaces for some epoxy.

the owner says he had already tried some titanium infused Devcon, which apparently didnt stay.

i guess my main question is, does the alcohol fuel present any specific issues pertaining to the choice of what epoxy to use for this repair?

i have used a variety of epoxies in the past with good results, but none of those heads were going to be run with alcohol.

so....what are your favorite epoxies for this type of repair??

thanks,
Dwayne
RayJE Carburetors
Pro
Pro

Post by RayJE Carburetors »

Belzona is fine with alcohol... its dearer than Splashzone ... but with splashzone you will have to coat it . with belzona after 3 years running on methanol tape marks from porting can be still seen in the belzona
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Seems I have a set of dart iron heads with the same problem.The customer supplied some Morroso puddy for the job. It is in sticks and you tear off some and knead it together till well mixed. Has anyone seen results using this stuff for gas or alky?? Opinions welcome on this product as I have never used it. It is supposed to be for port mods and repairs.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
PRH

Post by PRH »

Ray, which Belzona product did you use??
RayJE Carburetors
Pro
Pro

Post by RayJE Carburetors »

belzona super metal
racecar100
Pro
Pro
Post by racecar100 »

Who carry Belzona in USA??? Thank you
ed nix

epoxy

Post by ed nix »

Answer to pro power , I have used the moroso a-b several years ago to
repair an alum. head that broke through into the intake port in the area
of the pushrod. Using alky. it would hold up maybe 6mo. much longer on gas. The prep is important, rough up area with course bur clean with laqurer thinner.Arter knealing the a-b apply athin coat rubing it hard into
area .Then apply build up coat as needed for smouthing out use your finger wet with thinner let dry as per instruction grind as needed.

Expearence is the best teacher olso the most costly.

84 elcamino Ed
rmcomprandy

Post by rmcomprandy »

It's aluminum ... weld it.
Tod74
Pro
Pro

Post by Tod74 »

What about epoxy to fix a crack in a block? I have a 454 with very little run time on the bore. Had a roller lifter fail and it made a small crack/ pushed in spot in the cam tunel betwwen the two lifters. Sorta has that look to it like you would see if you beat on a rusty car frame with a hammer..you know sorta just looks " pushed in" a litle.

It didn't have water in oil buta flashlight and a dark room revealed that there is indeed a crack there. I hate to junk the block if it can be repaired.
TOP38
Post by TOP38 »

rmcomprandy wrote:It's aluminum ... weld it.
Bingo!