Opinions on DSS forged pistons

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

judgement_impared

Opinions on DSS forged pistons

Post by judgement_impared »

I've got a set that a customer brought me. They're finish in the pin bores look as though they were just cut and not truly FINISHED. They actually have a ROUGH crosshatch instead of a polished (fluid honed) finish. I haven't accurately measured them for clearance yet but I can say if you turn the piston to the side, the pin falls out as if you were dumping it out of a cup!!

Just curious if anyone else has put their hands on a set like this..

Thanks!!
needforspeed66gt
Guru
Guru

Post by needforspeed66gt »

Isn't DSS that SBF mail order shop? I have not seen any of their stuff.
Nate @steeldustmachine
Engine Machinist
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

needforspeed66gt wrote:Isn't DSS that SBF mail order shop? I have not seen any of their stuff.
Yes that is them. Nice looking shop on the website. Never have used their parts

I bought a bunch of used equipment from them. It was a good deal and they were great to to deal with. Even sent me some spare parts they found later on.

I would call them.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Hendrens Racing Engines
Pro
Pro

Post by Hendrens Racing Engines »

Had a customer bring in a set last week,looked like 60s TRW and were heavy compared to todays stuff. also were universal pistons with two HUGE int pockets.Had him return them and get J-E. Bill
Hendrens Racing Engines
1310 U.S.Hwy 221 North
Rutherfordton North Carolina 28139
828-286-0780
revolutionary
Guru
Guru

Post by revolutionary »

I'm pretty sure they are TRW slugs with the letters DSS etched in them...
Daryl

Revolutionary Performance and Machine
judgement_impared

Post by judgement_impared »

I'm not sure where they are getting them now. A few years ago I put my hands on a set they clearly has "TRW" forged in the bottom side. This set actually has "DSS" forged in the bottom.
Yes, they are indeed a set of SBF pistons. Another thing I don't like about them is they are cut for 5/64" rings.. Yuk...
JSteen

Post by JSteen »

DSS now makes pistons in-house, a few years back they were TRW/speed pro repackaged. I have used thier new pistons with no issues. Although they are not my piston of choice. I would call and speak with Eric about the wrist pin problem.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru
Re: Opinions on DSS forged pistons

Post by rebelrouser »

I saw this old thread, bought my first set a month ago. .040 for a chevy 383 pistons looked pretty good for a cheap piston. I don't bore, sent them with the block to get bored. assembled the engine and it had a weird knock. Screwed around a couple days on the dyno trying to figure out what it was. When you pulled the plug wires it did not change the noise, engine heat did not change the noise, stethoscope sounded like high up in the cylinder head, had a couple buddies who are Technicians listen and they were puzzled as well. Pulled it back apart they had one .030 piston in the box. I kick myself for not finding it on assembly, just a mild SBC and hammered it together. Knock was the crown of the piston rocking over and hitting the top of the cylinder bore. I pulled the heads on the dyno and cranked up the battery charger and spun it over you could see and hear it then. So if you buy some DSS pistons damn sure you measure ALL of them before use.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

rebelrouser wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:06 pm So if you buy some DSS pistons damn sure you measure ALL of them before use.
Now days you have to check everything and not just the less expensive parts. But we should be doing that anyway right ? :) :)
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

Yep, you are right. My background is as a flat rate mechanic for many years, and I usually take one piston and a long feeler gauge slide it in all the holes as a check the machine shop did it right. Wasted time is not paid for. And never have I had a set of pistons that were not what the box said they were. I have built thousands of engines over the years, I just got burnt this time.
And I gave the pistons to the machine shop when they bored the engine, so evidently, they took it for granted as well that they were all the same size, because the bores are all right.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

rebelrouser wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:06 pm I saw this old thread, bought my first set a month ago. .040 for a chevy 383 pistons looked pretty good for a cheap piston. I don't bore, sent them with the block to get bored. assembled the engine and it had a weird knock. Screwed around a couple days on the dyno trying to figure out what it was. When you pulled the plug wires it did not change the noise, engine heat did not change the noise, stethoscope sounded like high up in the cylinder head, had a couple buddies who are Technicians listen and they were puzzled as well. Pulled it back apart they had one .030 piston in the box. I kick myself for not finding it on assembly, just a mild SBC and hammered it together. Knock was the crown of the piston rocking over and hitting the top of the cylinder bore. I pulled the heads on the dyno and cranked up the battery charger and spun it over you could see and hear it then. So if you buy some DSS pistons damn sure you measure ALL of them before use.
I've probably used 30 sets in the past 10 years. And not ever have i had a problem. Other than a slight mismatch in weight, and a tight wrist pin. Not sure if they make their own pins.. but otherwise I can say they are quite a solid piston for the price.

This set is going in a 385 SBC with a 94mm turbo.
Have another set in a 383 LS with an 88mm turbo that will be making heat soon.

Even their 4032 pistons are quite nice for the price. Can get good ring packages and don't need a ton of piston to wall clearance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lewy-d

Post by lewy-d »

mt-engines, that's good to know. I've been looking at them for my 5.3 LS.
do you get the ones with X oil wiping grooves on the skirt?
machinedave
Guru
Guru

Post by machinedave »

I have used several of them. I think the quality is pretty good for the money. I like the .005" oversize for aluminum LS blocks.
Eroy

Post by Eroy »

They are a little crude and outdated, but seem to be fine. I built a pretty stout SBF using a set. Wouldn't be my first choice by any means, but didn't have any issues with them.
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

Just a general comment from what I've seen on the quality of employees 2018+, you have to assume they don't give a shyte and don't be surprised at what's in the box. Used to be a one off mistake, I expect it now- especially on lower quality parts.