Engine assembly help

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Kahuna
Pro
Pro

Engine assembly help

Post by Kahuna »

In the next two weeks, I'll begin to assemble the short block, then a couple weeks later the heads and intake manifold. My question is:
What is the best assembly stuff to use, KNOWING that the engine will not be run for at least 6-8 months.
Thanks,
Jim
Greezer
Pro
Pro
Post by Greezer »

What is the best assembly stuff to use
Common sense.

Sometimes, mock assembly is your best bet. What's the big deal to re-assemble later?
revolutionary
Guru
Guru

Post by revolutionary »

I like to use clevite bearing guard straight up if it will sit for a while. If I'm going to run it within a few weeks or maybe a month I cut it with half oil. No reason to just assemble it and let it sit though. Run it on the dyno or a run in stand. Then you'll be sure to have a good coating of oil over the entire inside and you won't have rust issues. If you are going to wait a long while before you get heads on it it won't matter because you might have to take it apart anyhow for minor piston mods. Been there.
Daryl

Revolutionary Performance and Machine
Kahuna
Pro
Pro

Post by Kahuna »

Thanks Greezer and Revolutionary. Every area of the engine has been mocked up/pre assembled and checked. I was mostly concerned that it will have to sit for a few months before the car is ready, thus my question about the correct stuff to assemble it with.
Thanks
Jim
ChiTownHustler

Post by ChiTownHustler »

Kahuna wrote:Thanks Greezer and Revolutionary. Every area of the engine has been mocked up/pre assembled and checked. I was mostly concerned that it will have to sit for a few months before the car is ready, thus my question about the correct stuff to assemble it with.
Thanks
Jim
I would prefer something thick like Clevite Bearing guard as mentioned in another thread. You can also use something like Joe Gibbs assembly grease. Which is also a very thick assembly grease that stays where you put it
star393

Post by star393 »

Luberplate makes a product call assylube ( shearch Luberplate Inc) comes in a big tube it will mix safely with your oil. stays in place. Besides you should be priming your engine with a drill off your oil pump piror to start up anyway so you wont hurt it. While driving the drill spin engine over afew times changing the position of lifters when your done youll have oil coming up out of rockers before you light it up. touch the key and get it to 2000 for 20 mins. or so without and rocker arm lube worrys.

Douglas
junior

Post by junior »

Joe Gibbs Assy Lube is the best IMO
AA Performance
Guru
Guru

Post by AA Performance »

Clevite bearing guard is thick,used it for a while till I changed to Torco assembly lube, but the best stuff which i just changed to is Redline stuff, but is about 300% more expensive for half the quantity. Brilliant stuff.
Kahuna
Pro
Pro

Post by Kahuna »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I really appreciate them.
Jim
Ron Gusack
Expert
Expert

Post by Ron Gusack »

Lubriplate No. 105 Motor Assembly Grease: A smooth light-bodied grease made especially for motor assembly. Prevents "Dry Start." Provides lubrication during initial start up before the motor oil has circulated. Protects freshly machined engine parts from rust and corrosion. Part No. L0034-094.
The things you see when you ain't got your gun!
star393

Post by star393 »

Ron Gusack wrote:Lubriplate No. 105 Motor Assembly Grease: A smooth light-bodied grease made especially for motor assembly. Prevents "Dry Start." Provides lubrication during initial start up before the motor oil has circulated. Protects freshly machined engine parts from rust and corrosion. Part No. L0034-094.
Thanks Ron Thats it i just forgot numbers , Great stuff no worries using this product.
Kahuna
Pro
Pro

Post by Kahuna »

I actually have some of that stuff. It'll be put to good use.
Thanks again all
Jim
star393

Post by star393 »

star393 wrote:
Ron Gusack wrote:Lubriplate No. 105 Motor Assembly Grease: A smooth light-bodied grease made especially for motor assembly. Prevents "Dry Start." Provides lubrication during initial start up before the motor oil has circulated. Protects freshly machined engine parts from rust and corrosion. Part No. L0034-094.
Thanks Ron Thats it i just forgot numbers , Great stuff no worries using this product.

They also make a great racing oil with beridium great stuff check that out also.
zeronine
Post by zeronine »

Definitely the Joe Gibbs Assembly lube. It will stay there virtually forever, and is super effective. I have been buying it from the team at PPPC. You can reach them on 1800-421-9150.
Kdub
Pro
Pro

Post by Kdub »

Butter the cam up with what ever can stuff you cam came with and assemble the engine with plenty of motor oil. Set the valves when you are ready to start it. If you have any GM EOS coat all the bearings and dip the pistons and rings in it during assembly.