Is Lucas oil stabilizer a good product to use?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

mikep379
Is Lucas oil stabilizer a good product to use?

Post by mikep379 »

I use Brad Penn 20/50 and was wondering if i should use Lucas oil treatment with it? Does the Lucas cause the oil to foam?
Harte3

Post by Harte3 »

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... d=5&page=1

Might try that site. At one time there was an article on tests conducted with Lucas...the results were not complimentary.
'83 F150 300, 0.030 over, Offy DP, 4160 Holley 1848-1 465 cfm, Comp Cam 260H. P/P head, EFI exhaust manifolds, Walker Y Pipe, Super Cat, Turbo muffler, Recurved DSII, Mallory HyFire 6a, ACCEL Super Stock Coil, Taylor 8mm Wires, EFI plugs.
BirdMan
Expert
Expert

Post by BirdMan »

Why do you need an additive?
Dale C.
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

Harte3 wrote:http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... d=5&page=1

Might try that site. At one time there was an article on tests conducted with Lucas...the results were not complimentary.
What you should know about "bob is the oil guy" is that "bob was also a schaeffer's oil company employee".
GregGood
Expert
Expert
Post by GregGood »

Alan Roehrich wrote:
What you should know about "bob is the oil guy" is that "bob was also a schaeffer's oil company employee".
Thanks for the 411.
madscientist

Post by madscientist »

If you are worried about the oil you are using...and think it needs an additive...get a better oil.

Leave the additives to the cheap skates and snake oil salesmen.
Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is STUPID.
C. Alston
Engguy
Guru
Guru
Post by Engguy »

madscientist wrote:If you are worried about the oil you are using...and think it needs an additive...get a better oil.

Hmmm I thought alot of folks liked EOS?
Things we don't know about are all snake oil right?
Funny stuff.
If you have a 2 cycle weed eater or chain saw I sure hope you don't use that snake oil 2 cycle mix oil in it. It's just more snake oil it will run so much stronger with out it. And not have to worry about fouling the spark plug with excessive oil. Go ahead give it a try run without it, see how well that snake oil really works.
The snake oil crap is getting old.
Its kinda like hearing "built", "billet", blue printed, bullet proof, and all the other big mouth words that are bandied about, to sound important.
Sorry I'm in a bad mood today. :evil:
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

If it makes you feel better, all the guys I know running Joe Gibbs X0 all run a bottle of Lucas Stabilizer with it.
Old School
Pro
Pro
Post by Old School »

I like the Lucas stabilizer. I first used it in our farm equipment. We had some older equipment that used oil when worked hard. The Lucas cut the oil consumption in half and also lowered the engine temperature by about 10 degrees.

We then put it in our street and race engines. Upon disassembly of an engine that has Lucas you will notice the residual oil/Lucas that remains on the parts. It is not like a thicker oil but more like a coating. This seems to be ideal with a flat tappet cam, along with some EOS.

Lucas recommends a 20/80 ratio mix. We use that in the summer for the farm equipment. In the cars and in the winter we use 10% Lucas.

Bob the oil guy has given Lucas a bad rap it does not deserve. Most of the internet experts that put Lucas down has never tried it. I have tried it and will continue to use it. I think before passing judgement on anything a poster should have had personal experience with the product, not internet hearsay.
Kdub
Pro
Pro

Post by Kdub »

Bob has not ran that site for 5 or 6 years. He handed it over to one of the mods when he became ill, then a few years after the change the mod that was running the list past away with cancer. Now the mods wife runs the forum and has been doing a very good job of it so far. Sorry I can't remember his name right now.

I have been a member of that forum since 2002 and I have never seen them force a brand on anyone, really it's quite the opposite.

Virgin oil samples show that Lucas is mainly just a thick base oil that is very short on additive pack. I have a part time job at a auto broker and we use that stuff buy the gallon in slipping automatic transmissions and smoking knocking engines. So I guess it is a good band aid of sorts.
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

Last time I was there was 2-3 years ago, and I was reading Bob's stuff. It was very heavily biased towards Schaeffers, the bias was obvious. Now, some of the stuff made sense, and was true. But the bias was impossible to overlook. I never fooled with the forums much.

You have to be careful with oil additives, as some bases are not compatible with other bases, and combining stuff that isn't compatible will cause more problems than it solves. You just about have to have a degree in petrochemical engineering to know what will and won't work together.
JCR
Pro
Pro

Post by JCR »

Here is the relevant thread. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... 69&fpart=1

See the posts by Bruce381. There is no reason whatsoever to use this product.
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

The guys I work for were using 7quarts of 20/50 valvoline and 1 quart of lucas.They were having no problems with anything so I saw no reason to change.We ran the last 10 laps of the race at 240 degees water temp friday night(and won too).The engine show no sign of any problems that night. I'll do regular maintenance tonight.
madscientist

Post by madscientist »

Engguy wrote:
madscientist wrote:If you are worried about the oil you are using...and think it needs an additive...get a better oil.

Hmmm I thought alot of folks liked EOS?
Things we don't know about are all snake oil right?
Funny stuff.
If you have a 2 cycle weed eater or chain saw I sure hope you don't use that snake oil 2 cycle mix oil in it. It's just more snake oil it will run so much stronger with out it. And not have to worry about fouling the spark plug with excessive oil. Go ahead give it a try run without it, see how well that snake oil really works.
The snake oil crap is getting old.
Its kinda like hearing "built", "billet", blue printed, bullet proof, and all the other big mouth words that are bandied about, to sound important.
Sorry I'm in a bad mood today. :evil:

You ASSUME I don't know anything about oil.

Take your "bad mood" out on some one else.

Again, watch out for snake oil and the freaks who push this junk. I have dyno'd enough oils to know the truth. Very few additives work, and most cause a loss of power. Buy a quality oil (usually one that doesn't sponsor evry car at the track, and/or have ads in every publication) and stay with it. Sanke oil...avoid it at all costs.

Now I'm in a bad mood from retards.
Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is STUPID.
C. Alston
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru
Post by Dodge Freak »

I have a little Mopar 318 with MP 360 heads. Engine had a cheap rebuild back in 2001..new pistons, turn crank but no blueprint...was done at a local engine shop. Swap cams in spring 2008 (Mike Jones custom grind) and it had a few intake swaps and swap the heads came in 2006.

Always ran Valvoline 20W/50 "race" oil from Auto Zone till 2007 then went to the NSL Valvoline. No additives at all expect when I swap cams (with the motor in the car, even left the intake on..Mopars you can sneak the lifters out by the head).

I don't race the motor at a track but do run it quite hard..redline 6600 rpms redline. 3.91 gears and I drive 75 mph+ everyday for short distances -- it is store 4 months of the year. Got about 35,000 miles on it.

Dumb oil sender leak one day last summer..I seen heavy smoke from the oil leaking on the header but thought the head gasket blew (was going close to the redline on the freeway)...kept driving to my home a few miles away. Lost all oil pressure in the sub...thought the motor needed to be pulled anyways so I shut the motor off but re-started it a few times to get it home in the garage. Lifters were chatting away each time it started.

Just replaced the oil sender and added fresh oil and filter..all is still good months later. No damage that I can tell...still redline it everyday...if I used some "snake oil" additive I might be swearing by it now.