ARE ALL sbc 010 BLOCKS HIGH NICKEL????

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

wheels53

ARE ALL sbc 010 BLOCKS HIGH NICKEL????

Post by wheels53 »

Hi guys,

I have a 64 thousand dollar question: (may be an easy one for some???)

Are all SBC blocks with engine numbers which end in "010" a higher nickel content? I always belived they where but a know it all friend of mine tells me that its only certain ones, he also recons that some blocks not ending in that number can still be 010's if 010 is cast into the block under the timing case, he also recons if "020" is cast under 010 this means it has a higher nickel content again??? can anyone verify this, and set the record straight? i'm sure many of you can...

thanks, Al.
3V Performance
Vendor

Post by 3V Performance »

Your friend is correct. 010 = 4.0" bore / 020 = % of nickle.

010/020 has more nickle then the 010 block.

010/020/509 front mold was used on 350 and 400 blocks with higher nickle.
3V Performance
" ENGINES WITH AN ATTITUDE "
980-222-7230
FWilliams

Post by FWilliams »

010 cast under the timing chain cover and on the rear of the block indicates it has 1 percent more nickle

if there is 010 and 020 this indicates there is 1 percent more tin and 2 percent more nickle in the block, these seem to be the more desireable.

tin helped the metal flow into the mold and helped against porosity

010 at the end of the "casting" number does not mean any more tin or nickle.

sometimes the 010 was cast on the side of the block but I still check the timing chain area and the rear of the block

Fred
wanakena56
Re: ARE ALL sbc 010 BLOCKS HIGH NICKEL????

Post by wanakena56 »

Small block Chevy high nickel myth busted! I work in a materials lab for an aerospace company. I removed a chip from a casting seam line and performed an SEM/EDS analysis on my 74 350 block casting # 3970010. Numbers under the timing cover are 010, 020, and 509, and discovered that it contains no measureable nickel or tin. This entire high nickel block legend is a hoax. My instrumentation is capable of detecting element concentrations as low as 0.1%. Grey metal cast iron contains carbon, silicon, and iron. If you add as little as 0.2% nickel it would no longer meet the ASTM requirements for cast iron and you would have to call the alloy something other than cast iron.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

I heard the numbers on the block do not refer to nickle content or tin content. The numbers actually identify casting molds.Some pedestrian 307's have those numbers?
The info on the nicklecontent comes from many sources...Except I have never seen any one provide direct proof from GM.But I'm no expert on castings...So...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Mack

Post by Mack »

Is there any other stock chev blocks that may contain higher nickel percentages, besides the famous 010?
wanakena56

Post by wanakena56 »

Would I be correct in assuming that unless the information comes from GM that you are willing to ignore an industry wide accepted standard test method that positively proves that the before mentioned casting contains no nickel or tin?
Cast iron must contain between 2.5 and 4% carbon and between 1 and 3% silicon with the balance of iron. If the alloy falls outside of these parameters it would no longer be classified as cast iron.
My block actually tested at 2.65% carbon, 2.40% silicon and 94.95% iron.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Why the want for "the high nickel" PN theres nothing special about them.
wanakena56

Post by wanakena56 »

My point is that the high nickel blocks don't exist. It is nothing more than an urban legend. People are paying extra money for these blocks and they aren't getting anything special.
Auctioneerhere

Post by Auctioneerhere »

cuisinartvette wrote:Why the want for "the high nickel" PN theres nothing special about them.

In the Demolition Derby world people want the high nickel blocks. They are supposed to "stay" round better than the others under extreme heat.

I have never noticed a difference. Once the get "seasoned" they seem to take the heat.
tsanchez

Post by tsanchez »

Dont know, our AMC engines also get the legendary its "high nickel" rap but who really knows
mystic1582
Pro
Pro

Post by mystic1582 »

Wanakena56, Your sample was from the parting line of the outside of the block. Would there be any difference in composition say from deeper in the casting? I would assume the cast liquid would be homogenous but I wonder if the liquid material changes consistency anywhere while poured or while cooled. Just a thought.
Mack

Post by Mack »

wanakena56 wrote:Would I be correct in assuming that unless the information comes from GM that you are willing to ignore an industry wide accepted standard test method that positively proves that the before mentioned casting contains no nickel or tin?
Cast iron must contain between 2.5 and 4% carbon and between 1 and 3% silicon with the balance of iron. If the alloy falls outside of these parameters it would no longer be classified as cast iron.
what about aftermarket blocks claiming to have higher nickel?
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

wanakena56 wrote:Would I be correct in assuming that unless the information comes from GM that you are willing to ignore an industry wide accepted standard test method that positively proves that the before mentioned casting contains no nickel or tin?
Yes,unless someone can provide engineering paper from GM saying the numbers mean something...It's just gossip. This has no bearing on whatever nickle is present in blocks,just the numbers don't refer to nickle content.
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

AMC blocks are tougher, so are others,try the file or tap test