air cleaners best worst?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: air cleaners best worst?

Post by MadBill »

Speaking of jetting for inlet temperature, anyone got a good formula for correcting for same that takes into account the approximate area of the P.V.C.R.s?
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Doug Schriefer
Expert
Expert

Post by Doug Schriefer »

Cris wrote:Doug:

That looks like a nice set-up for height limited applications! Would you share some dimensions? How deep is the drop and how high does it sit above the carb mounting flange?

BTW, I presently run an L-88 drop base with a 2 3/4" K&N element and a dome lid to clear my hood. I know I'm sacrificing flow with this set-up on a 500+ HP small block.

Thanks, Cris
Chris,

Sorry for the delay you're looking at about a 2" drop, and 3-1/2" above the top of the main body.
Doug Schriefer
trh81

Post by trh81 »

What about the new Rc2 base? Anyone tried it out yet?
MODNROD
Pro
Pro

Post by MODNROD »

Just a quick drag-up of a fading thread, while I remember the question I had. :)

I know some air cleaner bases are better than others (my favourite is the base for an Aussie Clevo XD 4BBL), and I have always been told that airflow over a Holley works best coming in from the sides not the top. That seems to be at odds with most dyno set-ups though.

Does that mean Holleys jetted on the dyno will be out of whack, or does it mean as long as the airflow coming downwards into a Holley is clean not turbulent, then a raised funnel type filter base will work OK after all? A raised funnel type of filter with a stub-stack to clean up the airflow in perhaps?
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

That last statement is NOT TRUE. For example, if I get an engine to make the best power from jetting and timing with the Super fLow air turbine to measure CFM, then remove it, with NO other changes, the engine will LOOSE between 5 and 10 horsepower.. I think the affect that the air turbine has is to straighten the air flow collum before it goes into the carb, thus making MORE HP in the process. I see this same results every time I do the remove the turbine deal, I have tested lots of air cleaners and bases, and non of them will match or out perform the SF air turbine device.

JOE SHERMAN RACING ENGINES
rookie
Guru
Guru

Post by rookie »

bigjoe1 wrote:That last statement is NOT TRUE. For example, if I get an engine to make the best power from jetting and timing with the Super fLow air turbine to measure CFM, then remove it, with NO other changes, the engine will LOOSE between 5 and 10 horsepower.. I think the affect that the air turbine has is to straighten the air flow collum before it goes into the carb, thus making MORE HP in the process. I see this same results every time I do the remove the turbine deal, I have tested lots of air cleaners and bases, and non of them will match or out perform the SF air turbine device.

So we need an active air cleaner?
Has Anything You've Done Made Your Life Better?
MODNROD
Pro
Pro

Post by MODNROD »

Thanks Joe, that's what I was hoping to hear! :D

I'll see if my Google-fu is working later on, but is there a pic of the air inlet down the top of a SF air turbine, to get a general idea of shape and dimensions they use? Maybe a cross-section diagram or description to help visualise it?

Thanks for any help, my nearest dyno is 3.5 hrs away......
427Z06

Post by 427Z06 »

Possible preliminary designs?

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Why reinvent it when it's already in production? http://www.shadetreemechanic.com/tornado_air.htm
\:D/
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
autogear
Vendor

Post by autogear »

I see a lot of the K&N filter top (X Stream) on basically stock GM crate motors around here with broomstick cams. I seriously doubt your orange 14" K&N filter needs more help to feed 300 rompin stompin ponies.
justahoby
HotPass
HotPass
Location: In Stephenville, Texas, USA from Thunder Bay, Canada

Post by justahoby »

rookie wrote:
bigjoe1 wrote:That last statement is NOT TRUE. For example, if I get an engine to make the best power from jetting and timing with the Super fLow air turbine to measure CFM, then remove it, with NO other changes, the engine will LOOSE between 5 and 10 horsepower.. I think the affect that the air turbine has is to straighten the air flow collum before it goes into the carb, thus making MORE HP in the process. I see this same results every time I do the remove the turbine deal, I have tested lots of air cleaners and bases, and non of them will match or out perform the SF air turbine device.

So we need an active air cleaner?
This makes more sense than just carbs breathe better magically from the sides.. jetting how they breath, ect
As I'm approaching 40,I still think I'm 20. What the hell is wrong with me?
justahoby
HotPass
HotPass
Location: In Stephenville, Texas, USA from Thunder Bay, Canada

Post by justahoby »

MadBill wrote:Why reinvent it when it's already in production? http://www.shadetreemechanic.com/tornado_air.htm
\:D/
I thought that was snake oil ...lol, never used one though
As I'm approaching 40,I still think I'm 20. What the hell is wrong with me?
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Hard to fit the dyno air turbine under the hood. What happens to the power when you replace the dyno air turbine, with a decent 14x3 air cleaner and rejet if nessessary? 5hp? 10HP?
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

Yes, you will loose 5 to 10 Hp on most engines. The more HP you can make, the bigger the loss MIGHT be

herman81

Post by herman81 »

R2C CFD bases are excellent. We dyno tested 3 versions. All real good but ours made more power with the 2" open flow director through 7400 rpm. 4 hole seems to be a bit better at peak but less at 4500-7000. This is with a 750 Holley HP carb. We bought the kit with 3 centers and the outside base for testing.

We tried a few aluminum bases without much success and the open top xstream was a big loser for us.