General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Tony Mamo @ AFR
Pro
Pro
AFR Titan Manifold Issues

Post by Tony Mamo @ AFR »

Guys,

I’m posting this on various boards in an attempt to reach as many people as we can.

We have decided to implement a running change/design improvement to the valley plate of our 2 piece composite Titan intake manifolds, AFR PN #4801, 4802 and 4804.

We have had some customers out on the field experience small leaks in the rear (distributor end) of the manifold along the china wall. We attribute the bulk of these isolated problems to all the variables in the installation process as well as the quality and types of the silicone being used, but none the less we have made some changes to the design of the baseplate to make the installation more user friendly and less finicky or susceptible to leaks.

Note we have hundreds out in the field that our trouble free, but if you have not installed your manifold yet, or have experienced an oil leak, please call AFR for an RGA # and return the base plate only for a no charge exchange. We will also cover the freight both ways so there is no cost out of pocket to you.

If you currently have a Titan manifold installed and have not experienced any issues there is no need to remove it of course. If a leak develops at a later date our exchange program is good at any time whether you’re the original purchaser of the manifold or not. In the future if you do happen to remove the manifold and would like the new design valley plate just for peace of mind, feel free to contact us and send it in for our exchange program.

Here is a picture of a modified base.

Essentially the reason the occasional leaking develops is the composite material of the manifold base does not adhere as well to silicone as aluminum adheres to silicone noting that bad prep and/or length of dry time will add even more variables to the adhesion issues. Also, the vertical forces of the distributor loading and unloading with RPM work against the adhesion of the silicone bead and composite manifold. Note not a single customer has experienced a leak in the front China wall because there are no forces working against the front seal. After we modify the base by positively attaching the aluminum plate to it (screwed and glued), it acts no differently than installing an aluminum manifold.

We have proven this redesign both on the dyno and out in the field on road race endurance engines which seemed to be the common denominator on most of the problematic manifolds. We sent our new design base (with the aluminum plate attached) to a handful of these endurance racers and it completely eliminated their nagging leaks.

On behalf of the entire AFR management team, sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Tony Mamo
AFR R&D / Product Design Mgr.
661-705-8508

PS....Thought I would add I'm only around till lunchtime tomorrow (Friday) and will be taking a three day weekend to celebrate the half century mark on this planet (man it goes FAST!). I mention this only to inform you my ability to respond will be limited to nonexistent till I return to the office on Tuesday....thanks in advance for understanding!
Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR on Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Re: AFR Titan Manifold Issues

Post by cv67 »

Dibs on the first returned one lol =D>
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Kudos for a shining example of how such problems should be handled Tony! Sets the bar high for others...
=D> =D>
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
zums
Guru
Guru

Post by zums »

cant get much better customer sevice then that, im impressed
just primer

Post by just primer »

The back side of my engine is facing Mexico. Would this still be considered the “China wall”?
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

I am VERY impressed with how this was handled. WOW! kudos to Tony Mamo and AFR, I am not currently an AFR customer but I may become one after seeing this.
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Throttle ... 1996281602
POS Dakota

Post by POS Dakota »

Thumbs-up. :notworthy:
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

Right stuff seals anything :)

Once again sounds like fantastic customer service, as expected
bbmachine

Post by bbmachine »

Tony,
I wish other manufacurers would step to the plate when there is a problem with their product and not just say "don't know what to tell you, never seen that before".
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

I don't think I view this as a "problem" with the product. Proper installation with the right sealant and you wouldn't have an issue. This is just a product improvement campaign to make it more idiot-proof. This makes it even MORE impressive to me as they could have just done a running production change and told early production customers to just re-seal the intake with " xyz " sealant. It impresses me so much that AFR is doing this just to make sure all of their customers stay happy. Very impressed.
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Throttle ... 1996281602
bad455

Post by bad455 »

I just so happen to have one of these manifolds and it leaks badly.The right stuff silicone is not the fix for everything.I have not been able to seal this at all.It is a problem with the original design and some have just gotten lucky.I was not one of them. Glad i jumped on this forum tonite I will be calling AFR for a replacement tomarrow.
Tony Mamo @ AFR
Pro
Pro

Post by Tony Mamo @ AFR »

bad455 wrote:I just so happen to have one of these manifolds and it leaks badly.The right stuff silicone is not the fix for everything.I have not been able to seal this at all.It is a problem with the original design and some have just gotten lucky.I was not one of them. Glad i jumped on this forum tonite I will be calling AFR for a replacement tomarrow.
Bad455,

Give me a call at AFR or shoot me an email which might be easier for both of us. We will arrange swapping base plates with you. You wont have any leaking issues with the new design.

Sorry for the inconvenience

tony@airflowresearch.com

Regards,
Tony
bbmachine

Post by bbmachine »

Tony,
Called to buy a TXS manifold and was told they are not available. Whats up?
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

If the fix didn't fix the problem, maybe they should just make the bottom half out of aluminum like the Sb2.2 manifolds.
Joe Facciano
Oldgeezer

Post by Oldgeezer »

Interesting, as I currently own one ??