boat motor block craced just below the heads on both sides?!

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Re: boat motor block craced just below the heads on both sid

Post by falcongeorge »

topfuelrocket wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:10 pm I replace aprox 10 to 15 marine engines a year, just from new boat owners, that have never been told that yes you have to winterize your boat.
then there are the guys that do drain there blocks but not all the water comes out so they reinstall the block drain plug & it cracks during winter
Before installing the drain plug you should flush out the block water jackets, alot of the time in a open cooling system sand can block off the drain passage and keep the water traped
I had a buddy that used to finance his heads-up ten wide program by rebuilding cracked BBC boat motors every spring... Boat. A hole in the water you fill with money.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: boat motor block craced just below the heads on both sides?!

Post by ProPower engines »

Here is some thing that may apply to you in the US.
if you have insurance on the boat most good policies have a provision for engine damage that is covered under
your insurance. I see up to 40+ boats every season and they allow for engine replacement from freeze damage.
These are guys that come up here and they are from warmer climates where they live but winter here for fishing and what ever but at times they freeze and the insurance covers the cost of a replacement.

The manifolds are most likely screwed as well from freezing but again they get replaced under the coverage based on your lever of coverage it covers labor as well.

It may be worth looking into as I see at least 85% of NEW boat owners have no idea they are covered for engine replacement from freeze damage.
I do alot of BBC engines every year from freezing or manifold and riser leaks as salt water just kills engines in minutes of
ingesting and not running from the block temp. It seems that a warm engine will rust almost instantly with salt water when they are warm and lock it up solid in most cases.

Check your coverage as this year I had a customer that bought a boat in Florida and towed it up here and it froze o0n the way up here on the trailer traveling up the east coast during the snowy time and when he got home here it needed a new engine from freezing on the trailer
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
lefty o
Guru
Guru
Re: boat motor block craced just below the heads on both sides?!

Post by lefty o »

looks like a job for flex seal. :lol: