General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Barry Burch
Pro
Pro
stinger

Post by Barry Burch »

Rummaging through my brothers storage shed what did I find still
in the box that made my eyes open wide? An old Hays Stinger ignition kit.
Compleat wit ignition box, coil and distributor conversion. This was the all time
best bang for the buck ignition. Pro stockers and gas class ran then in the 70's.
They were good to 10 grand and locked out had zero retard with rpm.
In my California days I went to the factory itself and talked to the guy behind the counter.
He gave me what might have been a sales pitch but he told me there recommended .035
plug gap was superior to the other guys bigger gaps which he called a band aid for a low
amp ignition. I don't know about that but my own testing has been there is no more full
throttle power beyond .035. But part throttle mpg goes up to .065. Too bad low cost
great products don't exhist anymore Oh well.
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Re: stinger

Post by bigjoe1 »

I knew the guys at Stinger very well, and their shop was right around the corner from me.I took one of their first distributors to Edelbrock ( where I worked at the time) It made 7 or 8 more Hp than the Vertex mag we ran ran in everything. I also remember testing their ignition against the best MSD had to offer way back around 1998, My dyno Stinger was 10 or 12 HP better at the peak on a 700 HP SB Chevy. I called and told the people at MSD. They were not surprised, and made no excesses what so ever.

JOE SHERMAN RACING
dave brode
Expert
Expert

Post by dave brode »

I had one that finally quit working a year or two ago. It would get hot and quit. Got it from Dave Smith [olds guy] 30 years ago.

Dave
[
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

What was it about these ignition amplifiers that made them work so good?
Inductive discharge spark? capacitive discharge? longer spark duration?

i remember seeing these and remember that people liked them but never know much about them.
Is there a current product that is similar design?
Was this a patented design?
lorax
Guru
Guru

Post by lorax »

F-BIRD'88 wrote:What was it about these ignition amplifiers that made them work so good?
Inductive discharge spark? capacitive discharge? longer spark duration?

i remember seeing these and remember that people liked them but never know much about them.
Is there a current product that is similar design?
Was this a patented design?
They were induction ignitions. Closest thing right now would probably be the ICE.
amc fan
Expert
Expert

Post by amc fan »

Was the Stinger an improved version of the Judson Electronic Magneto concept?
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Where's George Ilinski?
He designed the Grant flamethrower CD
Ak Miller's El Caballo had a lucas Ignition
ran much better with a Harmon Collins
kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru

Post by kirkwoodken »

Was the Grant a flamethrower? I thought the Spalding was the dual coil Flamethrower. We ran a Spalding in a 348. Ignition problems were nonexistent with it. (Pump gas, 1958 Chevy, 4 speed, 5.57 gears, 2 Eddy's on a M/T Ram Log, NA.) Ran mid 12's about 1966. Impressive for its day. Were Grant and Spalding the same company? Looks like it here:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=fla ... t+spalding
"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"Anything is possible, if you don't know what you're talking about."
I am NOT an Expert, and DEFINITELY NOT a GURU.
Kirkwoodken
lorax
Guru
Guru

Post by lorax »

kirkwoodken wrote:Was the Grant a flamethrower? I thought the Spalding was the dual coil Flamethrower. We ran a Spalding in a 348. Ignition problems were nonexistent with it. (Pump gas, 1958 Chevy, 4 speed, 5.57 gears, 2 Eddy's on a M/T Ram Log, NA.) Ran mid 12's about 1966. Impressive for its day. Were Grant and Spalding the same company?
Spaulding Bros sold out to Grant. Same Grant as the piston rings.
WH Dou Coil sold out to Mr Gasket.
The Kong-Jackson evolved into Joe Panek's Roto-Faze ( I worked there for a very short spell)
I THINK the Hays ended up at Crane, although I don't think they ever made a induction ignition with it. Big Joe may know this better than I remember.

cknight

Post by cknight »

The Allison ignition ended up at Crane. There was a lawsuit between the Hays ignition folks and the Hays clutches folks in the 70's. Not quite sure what happened there. Regards, Chase
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

An old Hays Stinger ignition kit. .. This was the all time best bang for the buck ignition.
They were induction ignitions. Closest thing right now would probably be the ICE.
Now, if we just knew why the affordable Hays is TU/NLA and ICE gets seriously big bucks for the closest thing, that would be interesting.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
lorax
Guru
Guru

Post by lorax »

cknight wrote:The Allison ignition ended up at Crane. There was a lawsuit between the Hays ignition folks and the Hays clutches folks in the 70's. Not quite sure what happened there. Regards, Chase
That's it!!! Thanks cknight.
lorax
Guru
Guru

Post by lorax »

PackardV8 wrote:
An old Hays Stinger ignition kit. .. This was the all time best bang for the buck ignition.
Now, if we just knew why the affordable Hays is TU/NLA and ICE gets seriously big bucks for the closest thing, that would be interesting.
I don't know how close they are, I only mentioned the ICE because its the only aftermarket induction ignition I know of. For "affordable" induction ignitions there is always the HEI and Ford Duraspark.
540Hotrod

Post by 540Hotrod »

Cool old stuff. I've got a brand new in the box Grant Flamethrower for a lo-deck Mopar. Saving for a future project...cause it's just flat cool if nothing else!

JIM
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

I was thinking of the Grant CD
rectangular box with fins all potted components
worked great
Anyone know George Ilinski?
electronic genius IMHO