Step okay from exhaust port to header tube?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

andyf
Guru
Guru

Step okay from exhaust port to header tube?

Post by andyf »

I'm working with a BB Mopar engine with fairly small and rectangular shaped exhaust ports. PipeMax recommends a 2.125 header tube for max power but the transition from the exhaust port to the flange will be fairly large. Obviously guys have been running this type of setup for a long time but I'm just wondering if maybe there isn't a better option? Maybe this is one reason why step headers seem to work fairly well? If the first step is closer to the port size then there isn't such a large transition. Or does the big change in area not cause a problem on the exhaust side? The gas is coming out of there fairly fast and as it cools down it expands so perhaps the sudden change in area is okay? Here is a picture just to show the size of the change.
flange.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Re: Step okay from exhaust port to header tube?

Post by bigjoe1 »

I run stuff like that all the time with great success-- NO PROBLEM !

JOE SHERMAN RACING
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

How much power that you need that big of pipe?
Jim
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

The engine makes a little over 900 hp with the existing 2 inch dyno headers. PipeMax recommends a 2.125 so I'm going to build a new set. I bought the 2.0 inch headers back when the engine was making 750 hp.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
Lenni AMC

Post by Lenni AMC »

When the exhaust gas cools down it shrinks in volume it does NOT expand.
For example thats the reason why we make more power when the intake charge is cold vs hot. Since you can get more oxygen in the same engines displacement when the air is cold than you could fit if the air was hot.
So the conclusion is when gases and all other materials are cold they are smaller in size or volume vs when they are hot

but for my $.02 the step in the flanges does not make a noticeable difference in power unless the header tube sticks inside the exhaust port and therefor acts as a restriction...
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Leave that mismatch just the way it is and you will be rewarded with a motor that comes on the cam sooner and also Exh flow numbers that will pick up anywhere from 3 to 5% above .400" lift! With a header tube that matches the gasket ID!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

You will be OK, since the header flange is smaller than the exhaust ports.

BUT I question the necessity of 2.125" primary tubes for your application. It is my contention that these large tubes MAY be effective if your heads (especially the exhaust ports) are ported by a professional head modifier/expert. The exhaust port modifications should be done by someone who has access to a flow bench, as just hogging out the ports will not necessarily increase the flow/efficiency.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

Andy, just to prove nothing is simple...we've always picked up flow with headers that match the openings. We try to make the port to pipe size/shape transition as gradual and smooth as possible.
Bill...I'm seeing the flanges as bigger than the port openings. And, with 900 HP out of a BBM, I'd bet plenty of flow bench effort was made in the exhaust ports. 2-1/8" pipes seems in line with that output.
#84Dave
Expert
Expert

Post by #84Dave »

The primary pipe ID of the header is solidly linked to peak TORQUE rpm, similar to intake manifolds. The following equation for determining the relationship between pipe ID size, single-cylinder displacement, and the peak-TORQUE rpm point is very helpful for determining your engine properties/needs.
Peak TORQUE RPM = Pipe ID cross-section area x 88,200
-------------------------------------------------------------------
single-cylinder volume (cubic inches) -84Dave-
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

I'm having difficulty with the math of that formula. A 1" area pipe would have a peak torque of 88,200 RPM
So much to do, so little time...
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

I usually recommend that you start with a pipe that's as close in area to the exhaust port at the flange, without being smaller, and then step up to the larger size, before the first bend.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Throttle ... 1996281602
#84Dave
Expert
Expert

Post by #84Dave »

The pipe formula...... one more time: Peak Torque RPM = Pipe ID cross-section area(square inches) x 88,200/(divided by) single-cylinder volume in cubic inches. -Dave-
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

#84Dave wrote:The pipe formula...... one more time: Peak Torque RPM = Pipe ID cross-section area(square inches) x 88,200/(divided by) single-cylinder volume in cubic inches. -Dave-
That's all well and good but it doesn't take into account existing exhaust port cross-section. There are reasons why header primary tubes are or are not stepped. :wink:
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Throttle ... 1996281602
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

Sandwich another flange with tapered cones that merge from the port to the pipe ID? The Cyclone "Anti-Reversion" headers is a fond recollection. This is an opportunity to try something like that with straight stubs or tapered from port to pipe. On the dyno you could prototype using a thick spacer/flange with the merging taper in it.