We are currently running on the new domain and server: www.Speed-Talk.com

IMPORTANT: Update your bookmarks to https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/
(Right-click the URL and select "Bookmark this link")

tall deck and intake spacer plates

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Post Reply
Kurshuk
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:51 pm

tall deck and intake spacer plates

Post by Kurshuk » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:41 pm

On a Tall deck 9.325 sbc block, are you using gaskets on both sides of the plates, just RTV, or gaskets between the plates and intake and rtv between the block and spacers? :?

If just using rtv… which do you use? Its seem more are using the ultra gray type of rtv. I would think getting the intake manifold off would be difficult to say the least just using rtv.

Coloradoracer
Expert
Expert
Posts: 535
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:48 pm

Re: tall deck and intake spacer plates

Post by Coloradoracer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:33 pm

I'm running a big block but have spacers. I run gaskets on both sides, only silicone the end rails and very thin coat around the water ports... 10.7" deck on my stuff running a 10.2" version intake.
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Kurshuk
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:51 pm

Re: tall deck and intake spacer plates

Post by Kurshuk » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:51 pm

Thanks for the reply... I have seen a picture of an engine with the spacers and there was no gaskets just gray rtv, like ultra gray. That would have to be difficult to remove I would think.

:-k :-k

norm
New Member
New Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:55 pm

Re: tall deck and intake spacer plates

Post by norm » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:56 pm

Whatever you decide make sure it will hold up to fuel.

From the last line of the instructions-- "NOTE: Not recommended for use on head gaskets or on parts in contact with gasoline."


https://www.permatex.com/products/gaske ... t-maker-2/

User avatar
67RS502
Expert
Expert
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:57 pm

Re: tall deck and intake spacer plates

Post by 67RS502 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:41 pm

If youre going to be pulling the intake, you can use small screws on the spacers and mount the spacers to the head, so they are part of the heads, enabling you to pull the intake off.
67 camaro
girly rollers on pumpgas:
420 - 641hp BretBauerCam, 1.39, 9.79 @ 137.5
383 - 490hp 224/224, 1.56, 10.77 @ 124.6
502 - 626hp 252/263, 049s 1.44, 10.08 @ 132.7
62 Nova cruiser
383/200-4R/12-bolt w 373s
224/224 HR cam
1.57 10.97 @ 121.2

Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 1428
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:42 am

Re: tall deck and intake spacer plates

Post by Schurkey » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:50 pm

norm wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:56 pm
Whatever you decide make sure it will hold up to fuel.

From the last line of the instructions-- "NOTE: Not recommended for use on head gaskets or on parts in contact with gasoline."


https://www.permatex.com/products/gaske ... t-maker-2/
RTV silicone tends to dissolve in gasoline. Permatex "The Right Stuff" does not list gasoline as an approved liquid.

However, Good Old Permatex #3 "Aviation sealer" says it's good for joining machined surfaces, AND it's gasoline resistant. Sounds like just the thing to attach a nice, flat spacer to a nice, flat cylinder head gasket surface.

Kurshuk
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:51 pm

Re: tall deck and intake spacer plates

Post by Kurshuk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:44 pm

67RS502 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:41 pm
If youre going to be pulling the intake, you can use small screws on the spacers and mount the spacers to the head, so they are part of the heads, enabling you to pull the intake off.
Thanks! will definitely do that. I was thinking of dowels to keep everything aligned. :)

Kurshuk
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:51 pm

Re: tall deck and intake spacer plates

Post by Kurshuk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:20 pm

norm wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:56 pm
Whatever you decide make sure it will hold up to fuel.

From the last line of the instructions-- "NOTE: Not recommended for use on head gaskets or on parts in contact with gasoline."


https://www.permatex.com/products/gaske ... t-maker-2/
Fuel for this engine is Methanol... so maybe it would be ok. Thanks for pointing that out!

Kurshuk
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:51 pm

Re: tall deck and intake spacer plates

Post by Kurshuk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:24 pm

Schurkey wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:50 pm
norm wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:56 pm
Whatever you decide make sure it will hold up to fuel.

From the last line of the instructions-- "NOTE: Not recommended for use on head gaskets or on parts in contact with gasoline."


https://www.permatex.com/products/gaske ... t-maker-2/
RTV silicone tends to dissolve in gasoline. Permatex "The Right Stuff" does not list gasoline as an approved liquid.

However, Good Old Permatex #3 "Aviation sealer" says it's good for joining machined surfaces, AND it's gasoline resistant. Sounds like just the thing to attach a nice, flat spacer to a nice, flat cylinder head gasket surface.
Not sure how that would work with methanol, you thin #3 with alcohol. Would have to look into that one. I have this on the shelf... will have to test it. Thanks!

Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 1428
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:42 am

Re: tall deck and intake spacer plates

Post by Schurkey » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:03 pm

Sorry. Methanol as a fuel never occurs to me. They sold M-05 (methanol-based "Gasohol") here for six months or so before changing to E-10; back around 1980--'81. I've never had a methanol-fueled race car.

Kurshuk
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:51 pm

Re: tall deck and intake spacer plates

Post by Kurshuk » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:27 pm

Schurkey wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:03 pm
Sorry. Methanol as a fuel never occurs to me. They sold M-05 (methanol-based "Gasohol") here for six months or so before changing to E-10; back around 1980--'81. I've never had a methanol-fueled race car.
Since moving to methanol I will never move back! :)

Post Reply