79 Malibu Twist

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

econo racer
Expert
Expert
79 Malibu Twist

Post by econo racer »

:oops: It just does not make sense to try and go faster. 8.20 in the 1/8th very consistent , Turn a 100 shot of nitrous on and the drivers tire is a foot high while the other 3 tires stay planted. air bag in right rear and runs 7.3 pulling to the right. I want to change all 4 coil springs 1st and go from there. I don't get it. :oops: I forgot to say, If I put a double pumper on it is violent and wanting to spin more. Its most consistent with the 750 vac carb.
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Re: 79 Malibu Twist

Post by 77cruiser »

What's the rear suspension? Cage or anti roll bar?
Jim
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

The suspension is bone stock. I am going to weld the bottom trailing arms/box them up. I don't want to put the battery in the back. some say I need to.
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

Boxing the lowers is a good idea. Probably won't stop the car from twisting.
Anti roll bar would help keep the car level on the launch.
Jim
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

You can change springs and box the arms but any changes will be disappointing until you put a anti-roll bar on it.

https://www.trzmotorsports.com/product- ... 1978-1988/
DON'T PANIC
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

Hellwig do a decent economical rear sway bar for the G-body....
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

A drag race anti-roll bar is a totally different type of animal than an improve-your-handling sway bar.
DON'T PANIC
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

Your not gonna believe this but I went and bought a Pair of New Air shocks made single lines. 30 lbs, driver side and 70 lbs, on right side. It helped noticeably. :shock:
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

I love home brewed solutions, but be careful. By adding that much preload to the rear you also have that much working against your suspension when you lift off the gas. Not as big of an issue when you make a perfect pass, but if it gets out of shape and you pedal it or lift while not settled things can get hairy quick. Have seen it too many times. Congrats on the improvement and good luck with the next step.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

I agree Paul. Years ago I put an air bag between the right coil. Ran about 25 lbs. You aint gonna believe this. I had the motor and trans out and a few days later I was working on another car beside it. the air bag blowed and blew gravel and dirt up. What would happen in a 112 mpg pass? :shock:
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

I'm running the spohn anti roll bar on my 81 Malibu. its easy to install and works good. i'm also running stock coil springs all the way around with tubular control arms.
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

Prairie I have been thinking if I put my 450 HP BBC steel headed motor in this thing it will be about 220 lbs. more You think that will make it harder to hook?
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

an iron headed BBC will be harder to hook than a SBC with similar power. However it can easily be done with the right parts. The G-body is a great chassis for going fast. With a mini tub you can run MT 29.5 x 10.5 ET drags on a 10" rim with 5.5" backspacing. With no mini tub you can run 29.5 x 9.5 ET drags on an 8 "rim with 4" back space.
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

You're wasting time working with band aids.

Get a quality anti roll bar in it. Not some clamp on piece of junk...a quality piece.
bigfoot584
Pro
Pro

Post by bigfoot584 »

econo racer wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:10 am :oops: It just does not make sense to try and go faster. 8.20 in the 1/8th very consistent , Turn a 100 shot of nitrous on and the drivers tire is a foot high while the other 3 tires stay planted. air bag in right rear and runs 7.3 pulling to the right. I want to change all 4 coil springs 1st and go from there. I don't get it. :oops: I forgot to say, If I put a double pumper on it is violent and wanting to spin more. Its most consistent with the 750 vac carb.
This is all I did to mine, even on the worst tracks it bites.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=42315&p=535350#p535350