Stroke a 396?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

econo racer
Expert
Expert
Re: Stroke a 396?

Post by econo racer »

Have you ever stuck your shop truck on a rear wheel dyno? I would love to see the torque. What heads do you use? Interesting build you have =D>
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

No but on our engine dyno it was a little over 910 HP and near 1000 ft lbs. I used iron sq port head 2.250/1.900 valves
custom roller 1050 carb. I use a 750 carb other wise the temptation is too great to burn the duals off. It still does with
the small carb as well but runs out of breath at about 5600. The hard part was to get a cam because I wanted street manners with a wider LSA for a Th400 trans with a 2200 stall converter.
I was going to put an 8-71 blower on it as well as I already had the cam and lifters for a boosted program left over from a marine deal that would have worked fine but did not have all the belt drive stuff at the time as was tired of not
having my truck back as the parts were 2 weeks away and I thought about how many tickets I could get..............
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

Pull Good :shock: Your riding to the race track with a spare motor in the truck. That is so cool :D
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

ProPower engines wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:34 am No but on our engine dyno it was a little over 910 HP and near 1000 ft lbs. I used iron sq port head 2.250/1.900 valves
custom roller 1050 carb. I use a 750 carb other wise the temptation is too great to burn the duals off. It still does with
the small carb as well but runs out of breath at about 5600. The hard part was to get a cam because I wanted street manners with a wider LSA for a Th400 trans with a 2200 stall converter.
I was going to put an 8-71 blower on it as well as I already had the cam and lifters for a boosted program left over from a marine deal that would have worked fine but did not have all the belt drive stuff at the time as was tired of not
having my truck back as the parts were 2 weeks away and I thought about how many tickets I could get..............
You should probably recalibrate your Dyno..

Also you should recalibrate your calculator for bore and stroke...
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

mt-engines wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:54 pm You should probably recalibrate your Dyno..

Which part threw you off... :P the over 1.6 tq per cube thing? Or the..... :P
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

[/quote]

You should probably recalibrate your Dyno..

[/quote]

Dyno is fine decimal point placement in wrong place
605 inches would be correct =D>
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors