Port texture and velocity

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RCJ
Expert
Expert

Port texture and velocity

Post by RCJ »

When going from a smooth port to a textured port, does the average velocity change?
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Re: Port texture and velocity

Post by David Redszus »

RCJ wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:05 am When going from a smooth port to a textured port, does the average velocity change?
If the fluid flow is through a straight tube, there is very little change in velocity; a result of boundary layer effects.

If the tube is curved, the air mass will impact the walls and a textured surface will result in a higher friction loss.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Velocity would only change overall if the flow rate has changed.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

Post by SpeierRacingHeads »

Locailzed velocitys will indeed change, kind of why you do it.
Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

Chad,
Can you post some before and after cfm and velocity. We can then calculate what change in effective area the air is seeing.

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

Stan Weiss wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:33 pm Chad,
Can you post some before and after cfm and velocity. We can then calculate what change in effective area the air is seeing.

Stan
I did this honest hillbilly test.

http://speierracingheads.com/burr-vs-60-grit.html
Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
trmnatr

Post by trmnatr »

SpeierRacingHeads wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:44 pm

Stan

Great info Chad, would be interesting, would my iron heads be different such as like seeing bigger gains with the burr?
www.autotransdesign.com www.gzmotorsports.com
www.cranecams.com www.prosystemsracing.com
www.hardblok.com
Please say a prayer for all that serve and gave all to serve this Holiday and everyday!
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

SpeierRacingHeads wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:44 pm

Stan

Interesting for sure. I may have to do a rethink on some things. The only issue I have is getting the burr finish correct. I can't duplicate what your finish looks like.
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

i would have expected that the measured averages to be the same if the flow is the same
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

digger wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:01 pm i would have expected that the measured averages to be the same if the flow is the same
I would expect the flow rate to be somewhat lower with a textured surface due to an increase in the friction factor.
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

I'm working with and engine that by rule has a primary header smaller than the exhaust port.My thinking was that texturing the exhaust port would increase velocity thru the center of the port.Because of the small header I'm not using the whole port anyway.
Didn't work , small lose in power over polished port in A-B-A test.
I tried several ideals with poor results .The only thing that shown results is polishing the header till it is so thin that cracking is a problem .
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

RCJ wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:58 pm I'm working with and engine that by rule has a primary header smaller than the exhaust port.My thinking was that texturing the exhaust port would increase velocity thru the center of the port.Because of the small header I'm not using the whole port anyway.
Didn't work , small lose in power over polished port in A-B-A test.
I tried several ideals with poor results .The only thing that shown results is polishing the header till it is so thin that cracking is a problem .
Texture is totally wrong on the exhaust. The FASTER the localized airspeed, the more polished it should be. The SLOWER the localized airspeed, the rougher it should be. Remember, at the wall the air velocity is zero or near zero. The viscosity of the air is holding onto the wall so, the faster the air gets, the thinner the boundary layer gets. Regardless of surface texture. The surface texture is all wet flow any way. IMO around 1% flow loss is attributed to frictional wall drag of the boundary layer.
Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

David Redszus wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:56 am
digger wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:01 pm i would have expected that the measured averages to be the same if the flow is the same
I would expect the flow rate to be somewhat lower with a textured surface due to an increase in the friction factor.
The flow numbers were the same though so the average velocity is the same since the area is for all intensive purposes the same
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

digger wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:05 pm
David Redszus wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:56 am
The flow numbers were the same though so the average velocity is the same since the area is for all intensive purposes the same
Surface texture has an effect on flow coefficient in curved sections at higher velocities. Low pressure ratio measurements are quite inaccurate and should not be trusted for critical work.
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

Does the boundary layer have any insulation properties?