General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Re: SCAT 9000 Limits

Post by skinny z »

Could well be.
The Eagles, while not my 1st choice, are what ended up in the 357. It's still in the shop waiting on more parts. I'll have a look.
Kevin
Metalhead

Post by Metalhead »

Cheap Scat 6” rods. Probe forged flat top pistons. I wasn't surprised when it finally let go. It was well balanced and carefully assembled, and ran Fitech fuel injection. When it was refreshed and the bigger cam/heads/intake went on it just got a bottlebrush hone and new rings and bearings (a lifter had failed prompting the refresh). Journals and bearings still looked good when I pulled it down despite the broken crank.
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

blykins wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:06 am I did a 347 bracket race engine for a customer, 540 hp, launched at 5500, shifted at 7000. Used a 9000 series Scat crank. He lost a power valve and didn't realize it, washed the cylinders down, so we had to freshen up. Found a cracked rod journal when we magged it.
That was pretty lucky. Usually a cast crank fractures and then fails shortly there after. Unlike a steel crank that can fracture and continue on for a good long while.