HOw much do shops charge to resize 8 HBEAMS?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

n2omike
Guru
Guru

Re: HOw much do shops charge to resize 8 HBEAMS?

Post by n2omike »

vortecpro wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:17 am Two questions:

1. Is it bad to be big at the parting line?
2. How big is it at the parting line in relation to the spec?

To answer your question I charge 175.00 to resize those rods. Keep in mind balancing the big ends can change the size, depending on how hot they got during balancing.
A trick many did BEFORE aftermarket rods became common, was to intentionally machine the rods wide at the parting line. As the big end of the rod stretches with big rpm/piston weights, the sides pinch in and cut off the oil flow. Making them wide at the parting line helps prevent spun bearings in these applications. I knew a guy who did this on his stock rod 351C engines.

Personally, I would not worry about the rods being a little wide at the parting line.
Good Luck
bentvalves
Expert
Expert

Post by bentvalves »

what apparatus are you using to measure the connecting rods housing bore?
NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Post by NXBOY »

2 shops used a high dollar bore gauge. I first measured out of box with a economy one and only straight up, when I got .0002 on 7 and then .0005 over 2.3252 the limit where I set mike and 0 in my dial gauge. I figured they needed hone and sent to shop. first time using it for years and thought .0002 and 1 at .0007 was on the tight side, no + or - on either side of line. Took to first shop and he measured and said they cant be honed there on the loose side same amount. So My friend that has a head shop and some other stuff, but no rod machine measured with his high dollar dial bore gauge and got the same as I DID THE second time 2.3254 on 7 straight up and down and 2.3257 on one. Later when I DECIDED TO do across which some people dont do found the parting line a whole thousand or more over limit. Need to go back to his shop and get exact PT deminsions but fairly sure they where all out about the same like over tightened or something. I'm,on my own, talk to them again today they said have no record of the vendor buying these from them, I'll try buy new so I know its right. Some thought they should of took them back so I tried again when i wasn't so tired :cry: THANKS GUYS: I'VE learned alot and realize its not black or white ON RODS, did learn for sure not to buy from this Vendor again and with Rods being on the tight side is Better , can hone if needed. At least I got my answers. P.S they did say they could sell them to me about $ 140 off the Summit price I saw.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

IIRC I paid $125.00 to have my Mopar 340 rods resized last year. Then this year the same shop resized my Crower rods and opened up the small end from .927 to .984 for me. $200.00.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

n2omike wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:33 am
vortecpro wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:17 am Two questions:

1. Is it bad to be big at the parting line?
2. How big is it at the parting line in relation to the spec?

To answer your question I charge 175.00 to resize those rods. Keep in mind balancing the big ends can change the size, depending on how hot they got during balancing.
A trick many did BEFORE aftermarket rods became common, was to intentionally machine the rods wide at the parting line. As the big end of the rod stretches with big rpm/piston weights, the sides pinch in and cut off the oil flow. Making them wide at the parting line helps prevent spun bearings in these applications. I knew a guy who did this on his stock rod 351C engines.

Personally, I would not worry about the rods being a little wide at the parting line.
Good Luck
I know I go to great lengths on some rods to make them have clearance at the parting line.
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Excuse my dumb here..So rod big ends can have a bigger OD at the parting line ? I thought that was taken care of by bearing insert design.
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

Truckedup wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:30 pm Excuse my dumb here..So rod big ends can have a bigger OD at the parting line ? I thought that was taken care of by bearing insert design.

Your correct, but some rods, generally big journals can benefit from more clearance at the line at higher RPM. I can give examples if your interested.
NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Post by NXBOY »

How about .001 above Tolerance PT or more and if out of Tolerance on straight up on BBC Rod what would be your end goal for 90 to parting line if tolerance was 2.2347 to 2.3252?
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

NXBOY wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:39 pm How about .001 above Tolerance PT or more and if out of Tolerance on straight up on BBC Rod what would be your end goal for 90 to parting line if tolerance was 2.2347 to 2.3252?
Depending on my journal to bearing clearance, I would not have the housing bore above spec vertically, normally I set the housing bore at 2.3250, TQ up the rod with the bearing and grind the crank to the desired clearance.