HEI setting timing on a non running engine

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

HEI setting timing on a non running engine

Post by Belgian1979 »

Can someone explain to me how to get the initial timing almost right on a non-running engine. I would like to get it as close to correct as possible. However since it doesn't have points this is unclear to me. I want to avoid having to run the engine at idle all of the time when doing the adjustments on the carb and such. Thanks.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru
Re: HEI setting timing on a non running engine

Post by rebelrouser »

I set the balancer at about 30 degrees BTDC, on the compression stroke, then adjust the rotor so it points directly at the number one plug terminal in the cap. They fire right up and are close enough you can set to a fast idle to break in the cam etc.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I set the damper timing mark to where I want, mark the cap to the dist housing base with a sharpie at where the no1 plug wire is, pull the cap, then line up the base mark to where the rotor is pointing, snug down the dist until I can get a light on it.

Had to delete/repost LOL put down the wrong order in my first post, not done it in awhile.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Firedome8
Guru
Guru

Post by Firedome8 »

Set crank to desired timming, line up teeth on pickup, the plug will fire just as the teeth pass each other. On a new engine I set timming around 42* for cam break in.
A good test is worth a thousand opinions.
Smokey
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Bring up number one ready to fire about 15-20 btdc. Set the distributor in with the rotor pointing at #1 on the cap and the reluctor and pole piece tips pointing at each other. Clamp the distributor down. If all other stuff is ready to go it will fire and run well enough until you are ready to final adjust the timing.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

I think the plug fires just as the reluctor teeth leave each other, if it fires as they approach the polarity of the reluctor is backwards.
I normally line them up there with the centrifugal held on and the balancer at 36 or whatever your total less vacuum is.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
V12MECH

Post by V12MECH »

Just make sure you are on the compression stroke and not the exh. stroke, before you drop distributor in , watch your #1 valve train action, intake closing, and you will have to use a long straight slot screw driver to adjust oil pump drive slot a bit to engage distributor tang to get it in the correct orientation so that rotor points to #1 on cap, that may 2 or 3 test fits as distributor shaft rotates as it meshes with cam gear, balancer mark at 20 degrees btdc should work on mild sbc if that's what you are working on.
Firedome8
Guru
Guru

Post by Firedome8 »

Tom68 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:27 pm I think the plug fires just as the reluctor teeth leave each other, if it fires as they approach the polarity of the reluctor is backwards.
I normally line them up there with the centrifugal held on and the balancer at 36 or whatever your total less vacuum is.
Yes the plug should fire on the falling edge just as the tooth goes past center.
A good test is worth a thousand opinions.
Smokey
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

I'll share my method that is normally spot on and never more than 2 degrees off. Verify the engine is at TDC on the compression stroke (pull out a spark plug, bump over until air pressure pushes your finger away). Line up the timing marks to base timing + 4 degrees (ie, if base is 10deg BTDC, add 4 for 14 deg BTDC) by ONLY turning the crank CLOCKWISE from the front to take the slop out of the chain. If you go past, go back to at least 50 deg before and try again. Now install the distributor as normal. Note #1 on the cap and rotor. Look at the "points," or triangles, if you prefer, on the reluctor wheel and pickup coil and space the two so that when you turn the distributor housing the two approach each other. Now carefully and slowly turn the dist housing in the timing advance direction until the reluctor wheel gets "pulled" by the magnet in the pickup coil. You'll see the points twitch. Then lock down the distributor hold down and install the cap after verifying it still lines up with #1 cyl.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Thanks all =D>