Ford block production line weld repair .....

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Ford block production line weld repair .....

Post by BCjohnny »

I once had a (since lost) reference of Ni rod repairs to as cast Ford V8 block 'blemishes' as they rolled down the production line, often in the valley

Anyone post up, or can point me in the direction of such ?

TIA John

[I'd doubt it wasn't only Ford who saved major 'mis-run' castings this way]
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Ford block production line weld repair .....

Post by Tom68 »

BCjohnny wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:37 pm I once had a (since lost) reference of Ni rod repairs to as cast Ford V8 block 'blemishes' as they rolled down the production line, often in the valley

Anyone post up, or can point me in the direction of such ?

TIA John

[I'd doubt it wasn't only Ford who saved major 'mis-run' castings this way]
I've seen it on old SBC head rocker cover rails.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

Thanks Tom68, I'd guessed it was commonplace* ......

I've a particular casting with such a repair in the valley, without such provenance it's just a 'weld' ....... motive being purely the filthy lucre, although I have a more general interest in manufacturing procedures

[* I've a couple of machines with nickel rod repairs to correct mis-runs in a major casting, Zanrosso surfacer table for example]
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

BCjohnny wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:08 am Thanks Tom68, I'd guessed it was commonplace* ......

I've a particular casting with such a repair in the valley, without such provenance it's just a 'weld' ....... motive being purely the filthy lucre, although I have a more general interest in manufacturing procedures

[* I've a couple of machines with nickel rod repairs to correct mis-runs in a major casting, Zanrosso surfacer table for example]
I've always assumed they've done them hot, stick welded from what I've seen. I've Tig welded mild steel flanges to cast turbo housings using Nickel arc electrodes with the flux chipped off, no pre heat no problems. Cast just depends on the properties, some weld easily others don't weld at all.
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

Tom68 wrote:I've always assumed they've done them hot, stick welded from what I've seen
Yes, the only process I've seen used ...... still hot from the shake out, there'd be the usual suspect areas to check
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

Surprised no-one else has comments on this :-k

I'll dig out the block in question and post up some pics
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

Not the best pics, but it'll give an idea about what I'm referencing

20221117_124714.jpg
20221117_124718.jpg

There is no 'damage' surrounding, or any other evidence to suggest that it's a post machining repair
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

BCjohnny wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:01 am Not the best pics, but it'll give an idea about what I'm referencing

20221117_124714.jpg

20221117_124718.jpg

There is no 'damage' surrounding, or any other evidence to suggest that it's a post machining repair
Wow, that's pretty serious, looks like they've used a nickel alloyed electrode, the Chev head repairs I've see have a shinier weld deposit.
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

Tom68 wrote:Wow, that's pretty serious, looks like they've used a nickel alloyed electrode, the Chev head repairs I've see have a shinier weld deposit

Weld looks 'duller' than it actually is, as though it was shot blasted along with the bare casting, post shake out and prior to machining

But I wouldn't doubt that Ford might 'economise' with the electrodes to save some pennies, using an alloy rather than pure Ni, if it did the job

It doesn't appear as deep as it looks, doesn't go into water or the gallery, so is mostly a 'blemish' repair IMO
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

BCjohnny wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:53 am
Tom68 wrote:Wow, that's pretty serious, looks like they've used a nickel alloyed electrode, the Chev head repairs I've see have a shinier weld deposit

Weld looks 'duller' than it actually is, as though it was shot blasted along with the bare casting, post shake out and prior to machining

But I wouldn't doubt that Ford might 'economise' with the electrodes to save some pennies, using an alloy rather than pure Ni, if it did the job

It doesn't appear as deep as it looks, doesn't go into water or the gallery, so is mostly a 'blemish' repair IMO
I'm sure the Chevy ones are a Nickel alloyed rod to.