Intake Manifold Porting Show ‘n Tell

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RevTheory
Guru
Guru
Re: Intake Manifold Porting Show ‘n Tell

Post by RevTheory »

So could we conclude that the Bowtie is still a pretty darn good single-plane?
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

I have not done an in-depth study of the differences between the two. On the surface I have found 3 things different. 1] Carb pad height. the GM carb pad is .690" taller than the Hurricane. 2] the port openings as cast, GM 1.30 x 1.975 , Hurricane 1.18 x 2.125 . 3] in the plenum the GM is more open and what I Feel is a better path from the carb pad to the runner openings on the inner runner pairs, 3-5 4-6. There could be more small differences but these were what I noticed first. GM cast 1 intake and machined them different for the raised runner and std. height runner manifold. they both have 10051103 cast in the front . The std runner height manifold has machined flats at the top of the runners where the flange meets the heads and P/N 10051102 stamped in the machined area on the 2-4 runners.
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

Port matching of #1 hp manifold

Top 5 horsepower results manifolds L to R. What are the design consistencies that make this progression of 1st to 5th logical? Same question for the top 5 torque line up where the manifold on far left is 1st, crap port match 2nd, AFR 3rd, Brodix 4th and Hurricane with black fittings 5th?

Something I’ve noticed visually with the Hurricanes

I’m a Street/Strip guy..... like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.
WeingartnerRacing
Expert
Expert

Post by WeingartnerRacing »

The version 1 hurricane has the least taper. Version 3 has more bend in the runner that the others don’t have. None of these are that close to the bow tie on the inside. Outside it might look that way. Version 3 is drastically different.

I’m editing video now and the video comparing the afr, Brodix and super victor may be out Sunday.
Eric Weingartner
Weingartner Racing LLC
918-520-3480
www.wengines.com
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

WeingartnerRacing wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:58 pm The version 1 hurricane has the least taper. Version 3 has more bend in the runner that the others don’t have. None of these are that close to the bow tie on the inside. Outside it might look that way. Version 3 is drastically different.

I’m editing video now and the video comparing the afr, Brodix and super victor may be out Sunday.
Another curve ball. Looks can be deceiving. I’ll go back and look at the numbers in previous vids.

Keep up the great work Eric.
I’m a Street/Strip guy..... like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I purchased my AFR heads back in 95 , The 220 version I asked what manifold do they recommend Because at the time they weren't making manifolds yet . They recommended the GM bowtie so I shipped it to them , They port matched it to the heads
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

[quote=WeingartnerRacing

The hurricane with the worst port match was number 1. That’s why we test.
[/quote]

How bad was the match? Both height and width issues? There really might be something unseen that happens there with a SHARP edge mismatch in that location. Would be an interesting test subject...We see odd things happen. People making mid 600hp numbers with peanut port heads and a mismatched oval port rpm intake. Rectangular intakes on oval port heads outperforming a matched intake. Stuff sometimes doesn't make sense
Pro question poster.
juuhanaa
HotPass
HotPass

Post by juuhanaa »

Ive been thinking about how to port match this sucker and now you say just put it on the bench and see how much it flows... :lol:

IMG_20211130_194518__01.jpg

-juhana
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A balanced person dares to stagger, and modify ports bigger
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Bob Hollinshead wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:08 am
WeingartnerRacing wrote:
The hurricane with the worst port match was number 1. That’s why we test.
How bad was the match? Both height and width issues? There really might be something unseen that happens there with a SHARP edge mismatch in that location. Would be an interesting test subject...We see odd things happen. People making mid 600hp numbers with peanut port heads and a mismatched oval port rpm intake. Rectangular intakes on oval port heads outperforming a matched intake. Stuff sometimes doesn't make sense
The match it appears wasn't horrid, the workmanship and blend distance was.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Hilton wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:25 pm I purchased my AFR heads back in 95 , The 220 version I asked what manifold do they recommend Because at the time they weren't making manifolds yet . They recommended the GM bowtie so I shipped it to them , They port matched it to the heads
BES told me the same thing, the last one I ordered was actually their raised runner cut to fit a standard runner head, they told me they no longer cast the standard runner version.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
brentry

Post by brentry »

sbcMark wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:32 pm If I understood Eric correctly, he used a 1” open spacer on the performer rpm and the AFR tapered 4 hole spacer on the AFR dual plane and everything else. I wonder if the AFR dual plane would have picked up any with the 1” open spacer.
That's how I understood it.
That afr spacer on the flowbench is clearly worse on the afr duel plane. I happen to have that spacer , bought it with intake 3 months ago .A spacer that looks like the intake works well or open not bad, Or a shorter center, tapered spacer maybe worth a try,Tried 5 spacers.
20230218_141827.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave B
Pro
Pro

Post by Dave B »

Some tunnel ram rework for sons dragster, wanting to run some 4.30s this year
IMG_20230121_155550981.jpg
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

brentry wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:47 pm
sbcMark wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:32 pm If I understood Eric correctly, he used a 1” open spacer on the performer rpm and the AFR tapered 4 hole spacer on the AFR dual plane and everything else. I wonder if the AFR dual plane would have picked up any with the 1” open spacer.
That's how I understood it.
That afr spacer on the flowbench is clearly worse on the afr duel plane. I happen to have that spacer , bought it with intake 3 months ago .A spacer that looks like the intake works well or open not bad, Or a shorter center, tapered spacer maybe worth a try,Tried 5 spacers. 20230218_141827.jpg
Is it a fair comment to say the AFR dual plane and the Edelbrock RPM Air Gap are pretty much the same? From outside appearances, it looks to be that way.
My understanding is that the popular and apparently most effective spacer on a dual plane is a 1" open version. At least on the Performer style of manifold.
I would have liked to have seen that combination (AFR intake and 1" spacer) tested as well.
Kevin
brentry

Post by brentry »

Haven't seen a air gap in person in awhile.
But I do know the carb pad is a little different I think . I wouldn't assume a open is best. One showed is good.
A short taper is good. Of corse I tried a Open.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

I've got this 2 inch Wilson going on an RPM Air Gap under a Terminator X Stealth. I dunno... :-k
IMG_0363.jpg
IMG_0360.JPG