383 SBC Holley 750 eye burning stinky idle

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Re: 383 SBC Holley 750 eye burning stinky idle

Post by skinny z »

Progressive is the brand I'd been shopping for.
Very featurefull.
Thanks for that.
My concern is the comparability of the software once phones have evolved another 5 or 10 years. Will the continuity continue across operating system upgrades? Hard to say I'm sure.
Kevin
PRNDL

Post by PRNDL »

Progression Ignition

Man you have no idea. I was so worried to waste my money. I called them so many times before buying. They are in Texas. They answer the phone directly. One of the two answer. No number option, no secretary, no tech support, no hold, just the owners. They answered like 100 of my questions. I was worried they would go out of business or something. They said they do very well and are not going anywhere. I installed mine while on the phone with them after I got it. No regrets. I was worried about accuracy. I checked TDC 10 different ways. Valve covers off, piston stop, nail polish on the balancer and so on. I used two basic timing lights to confirm timing. My balancer came with marks up to 60 degrees. Dead on. Three wires like a GM small cap. Works with MSD 6AL. You wire it like points with the white wire.
PRNDL

Post by PRNDL »

Look at me stumbling around with this AED Holley. Imagine having to do the same with springs, weights, vacuum cans, vacuum advance limiters. It would have been a mess. This helped me learn because I can change the timing with the car running and driving so I can feel and compare on the move.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

Well, you're doing a good job in the sales department too.
My next engine platform will be fundamentally the same to the last one so I should be able to carry over most of what has been developed to this point.
That said, one thing that didn't get finished before the engine let go was dialing in the highway cruise advance. I was close but the amount of effort it took to get to that point is not something I look forward to repeating. I'd approached 45 degrees of advance with a very lean AFR and had pulled it back some but there were still issues with light detonation while in OD and going up a slight grade.
I'm a big fan of squeezing a gallon of fuel as far as I can. Almost as much as I like going fast.
A programmable distributor is definitely on the short list.
Kevin
PRNDL

Post by PRNDL »

skinny z wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:01 pm Well, you're doing a good job in the sales department too.
My next engine platform will be fundamentally the same to the last one so I should be able to carry over most of what has been developed to this point.
That said, one thing that didn't get finished before the engine let go was dialing in the highway cruise advance. I was close but the amount of effort it took to get to that point is not something I look forward to repeating. I'd approached 45 degrees of advance with a very lean AFR and had pulled it back some but there were still issues with light detonation while in OD and going up a slight grade.
I'm a big fan of squeezing a gallon of fuel as far as I can. Almost as much as I like going fast. A programmable distributor is definitely on the short list.

Yeah, I noticed on other forums, when people had carburetor tuning issues, uncommon or unusual ignition products always got blamed first. Which I can understand. This is a product nobody has heard of. I was worried that would happen with this distributor, so I wanted to make sure I explained that I did my homework before buying this product and thoroughly tested it and the basic timing settings.

Highway cruise should be a snap. No long vacuum hose, vacuum gauge, and mighty vac. You can do it from your phone. With your experience, should be no issue.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

Progressive was brought up before. This is where I'd heard about it.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60857
Kevin
PRNDL

Post by PRNDL »

The app if free to download to mess with and get used to. Plus the manuals are attached.
PRNDL

Post by PRNDL »

So I just recieved my AED care package.

It has .032 IFR, .082 IAB, and 73 jets for the primaries.

Just a reminder, I’m currently at .035 IFR, .075 IAB, and 75 primary jets.

My idle mixture screws are 1 out on the driver side and 1-1/4 on the passenger side. This per highest vacuum and rpm.

Should I wait to instal my AFR gauge before screwing with this? My exhaust it better. Still smelly but not eye burning too bad. I’m worried about messing up my low cruise mixture.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

Personally, I'm a data fanatic.
I've spent half of my working career diagnosing and repairing electrical equipment. CNCs, automated systems, you name it. Not to mention where I started as an auto technician and diagnostician. (But that was pre-digital).
The more information I have is always better. Knowing what the condition was before making changes helps going forward. Especially if going forward isn't the answer.
So, on that consideration, I'm in the wait for the AFR gauge camp.
But your progress has seen enough changes so that having that last bit of info may not be as important.
Especially if you want to get a move on.
Kevin
PRNDL

Post by PRNDL »

Well said brother. I’ll wait for the AFR.

What’s the difference between reducing the size of the IFR vs increasing the size of the IAB?
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

A wise man once said [ & he keeps saying it.....]:

'The optimum idle advance is typically 35-40* for a short cammed street engine & though not commonly realizes as much as 50* for a street/strip engine'. And he made this statement in a carby book.....Why would that be? Hmmmm.....
FishFry

Post by FishFry »

...and that's why you want manifold vacuum.

I have a similar unit like Performance Ignition in my 261 sixbanger - it's called 123Ignition.
It's around since many years and pretty popular here in Europe.
I also ended up at 38 degrees for idling and 50ish at cruising speed - something I couldn't do with the mechanical advances (let alone the rest of my curves).
I love that thing.

It's a pity that Performance has no offerings for our inline 6 engines though.

Frank
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

PRNDL, stop, get back to basics.

Fuel Pressure ?

Throw another carby on it, any carby, they all work.

42 degrees of timing at idle, whatever it likes, but get your AF ratio close first.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
rgalajda
Pro
Pro

Post by rgalajda »

Tom68 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:39 am PRNDL, stop, get back to basics.

Fuel Pressure ?

Throw another carby on it, any carby, they all work.

42 degrees of timing at idle, whatever it likes, but get your AF ratio close first.
Good point about fuel pressure.
I don't understand the rest of the statement.

" Throw another carby on it, any carby, they all work." Really? They do eh

Adjusting the mixture screws to 3/4 turn for 4 corner idle is pretty basic. He got that and is making progress

I'll leave it at that
rgalajda
Pro
Pro

Post by rgalajda »

What’s the difference between reducing the size of the IFR vs increasing the size of the IAB?

If your close in size with the IFR you can change the size of the IAB , it's easier to get at.
That .082" IAB they sent is useless. It is too far off in size.

You can try the .032 IFR, but it may be too small. Test and see.
I would install the 73 jets

Once you get the idle sorted out an AFR gauge is gonna pay dividends for setting up the cruise AFR and the WOT.
Setting up a carb for the street with good AFR in all ranges can be harder than a race car. Race guys tend to only focus on WOT AFR.