Who says you can't open a valve by pushing on the retainer

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Who says you can't open a valve by pushing on the retainer

Post by Tom68 »

Blow up rebuild so there' a bit of juggling going on with valve heights.

Springs supplied based on a phone call to the supplier were a bit heavy for the purpose.

Valves supplied from the same manufacturer gave different heights from the tip to the retainer for the exh and intakes.

Plus 50 locks are smaller OD than standard locks......so more than plus 50 :shock:

Being a slack ass didn't check everything as thoroughly as a younger me would have.

Engine does a day on the Lake to break it in, 5500 max rpm.

Put rev limiter MSD module in, hold revs at 3250 to set redline at 6500, smash the throttle several times, 6500 limit confirmed.

Get a feeling I should pull the rocker covers and make sure everything looks good.

Result, I have inlet rockers contacting retainers, on the damaged cylinder.....I can spin the roller, it's off the valve stem when closed. :oops:

Put standard height locks on intakes only, don't want to add any more seat pressure than I have to, springs still above 1.8" installed height.

Picture is Exhaust valve as it will run going forward and how it was running.

20230211_184524.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Who says you can't open a valve by pushing on the retainer

Post by mag2555 »

When you don’t apply what you darn well know you should do in terms of assembly check outs do you really expect Murphy’s law to not bite your Ass?

I think your lucky you got the two or three rev up session that you did out of it without busting a push rod and having a lifter head for the sky out of its bore!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

Dumb ass amateur build from a guy who criticised me for relieving rockers to avoid this very situation .... you couldn't make this up
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

Yeah sorry, shot from the hip there, bit too frank ...... I'd delete it if I could ....... not my usual courteousness
289nate
Expert
Expert

Post by 289nate »

I have clearanced a set of stainless steel rockers before. Didn’t know it was controversial.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

289nate wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:27 am I have clearanced a set of stainless steel rockers before. Didn’t know it was controversial.
It's not. One does what one must do.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
amc fan
Expert
Expert

Post by amc fan »

Lash caps?
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Tom68 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:40 am Valves supplied from the same manufacturer gave different heights from the tip to the retainer for the exh and intakes.
That is normal for Ford Crane used to sell the locks in a kit with half of each.

Tom68 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:40 am Plus 50 locks are smaller OD than standard locks......so more than plus 50 :shock:
I have never experienced that ? Who's locks are you using ?
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

I can tell you this... All parts seem to be lower quality than in previous years. Seems like when the push to produce outweighs the desire to ship out quality there is always trouble.

Better check EVERYTHING....
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

stealth wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:05 am I can tell you this... All parts seem to be lower quality than in previous years. Seems like when the push to produce outweighs the desire to ship out quality there is always trouble.

You always had to.

A friend in the 1960s would have to buy 5-8 aftermarket camshafts and measure every lobe to get one where they were all close. These are reputable names from American outfits. He was a championship winning engine builder.

Engine, chassis stuff, you have to check everything.
-Bob
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

amc fan wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:49 pmLash caps?
It was a juggle, I don't want the roller tip any further outboard from the valve centerline, longer pushrods was also an option, but both options push the rocker further up the stud and move the roller tip out.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

BillK wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:45 am
Tom68 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:40 am Plus 50 locks are smaller OD than standard locks......so more than plus 50 :shock:
I have never experienced that ? Who's locks are you using ?
Comp I think, they may have been correctly sized, but the standard height ones that they were replacing were slightly larger O.D.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

289nate wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:27 am I have clearanced a set of stainless steel rockers before. Didn’t know it was controversial.
These would have clearanced OK, it's a budget build, and whilst blowing it up isn't an option neither's going backwards financially, I wouldn't touch them with a grinder or a cutter without pulling the needle rollers out, add that to the clearancing and time's adding up.

Better spring choice with a lower installed height was the answer, deadlines didn't allow for a change, note to self, do you're own research rather than taking advice from a supplier, I did send a sketch of my installed dimensions etc, I just wasn't willing to run the pressures they said would be OK.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

stealth wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:05 am I can tell you this... All parts seem to be lower quality than in previous years. Seems like when the push to produce outweighs the desire to ship out quality there is always trouble.

Yer and I was taking shortcuts with ordering because I was late getting the parts organised.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

BCjohnny wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:24 pm Yeah sorry, shot from the hip there, bit too frank ...... I'd delete it if I could ....... not my usual courteousness
Without looking back at my answer to your clearancing post, from memory your rockers were getting thin in that critical tensile area, hopefully I was only reinforcing care in a critical area.
If I was being an arse, your response to my f'up was justified, and of course my poor checking on my rebuild was piss poor anyways, so still justified, got lucky but. :D Doh...so far that is.

That's the intake contact, Can't remember which Rocker manufacturer mentioned once you rotate the rocker to get pushrod pinch clearance you no longer have square contact through the full range of travel. Shows up here with wider contact on one side. Bring on the cheap shaft rockers with offset pushrod cups. I've mostly worked with factory rockers and shaft rockers, these stud mount rollers are a can of crappy worms.

Contact.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.