Mission Impossible 318ci 318HP

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Stan Weiss
Vendor

Re: Mission Impossible 318ci 318HP

Post by Stan Weiss »

mt-engines wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:36 pm Considering they only made the 2bbl 318s for less than 20 years. I would think not many are left. Im sure the junkyards couldn't keep them on the shelves with all the big block to small block swaps guys do.

Around here the only thing people are upgrading to from the junkyards are LS motors.

And I agree stan.. most car guys would walk right past a spread port, tunnel rammed big block at a car show just to high five and grab ass the guy with a 318hp 2bbl v8.

No most go to car show look at spread port, tunnel rammed big block and like it, but go home and work on a car that cost about a 10th that amount amount.

Real motor heads hate the sound of a 8k plus rpm big inch v8.. nothing is more sickening.

I guess where you live there are not all of these high reving inline 4's running around

I'm far too young to remember guys swapping out their 440 6 pack and 426 hemis for 318 2bbls. Because I just don't recall hearing all the stories of people doing this.

No one is swapping out their 440 6 pack and 426 Hemi for 318 2bbls

But I am old enough to remember when you could walk in and buy a new 440 6 pack or 426 Hemi and there were not that many of they around.

What would anyone in today's car culture learn from this build? Maybe they should 318 2bbl swap their mustangs, camaros and hellcats.
Things just must be different here.

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
juuhanaa
HotPass
HotPass

Post by juuhanaa »

Tom68 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:00 pm Woops.

I asked to have the picture attachment removed from my post which was this thread starter.

The whole post is gone, so here's the link to flowing with the STANDARD 2 barrel.

https://youtu.be/nET9OQnF35A
Woops?

I have no idea where this thread is going, but now i see it starting with: That doggone!

And speaking of that doggone dual plane what i was trying allude to. How can we measure the lenght of that runners?

I often hear Ben using the saying that doggone in his videos and it makes me smiling hehe :D

-juhana
A balanced person dares to stagger, and modify ports bigger
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

juuhanaa wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:07 am

I asked to have the picture attachment removed from my post which was this thread starter.

The whole post is gone, so here's the link to flowing with the STANDARD 2 barrel.

Woops?

I have no idea where this thread is going, but now i see it starting with: That doggone!

And speaking of that doggone dual plane what i was trying allude to. How can we measure the lenght of that runners?

I often hear Ben using the saying that doggone in his videos and it makes me smiling hehe :D

-juhana
I started the thread because Charles had pulled 182 CFM through one runner intake manifold and standard 2 barrel carb and in the comments there was a trend where poster's thought 182 CFM added up to 360HP.

Of course with a half decent cam there's 4 intake valves open at any one time and three of those are pulling hard on that 182 CFM, so that's about 60 odd CFM each, looking good for 160HP. Hot rodded carby and all vacuum connections open might see a couple of hundred horsepower.

I don't see 318 HP from that 318 ci engine if all the air enters from the top of that baby carburettor, hot rodded or not.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
juuhanaa
HotPass
HotPass

Post by juuhanaa »

Tom68 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:26 am

Woops?

-juhana
I started the thread because Charles had pulled 182 CFM through one runner intake manifold and standard 2 barrel carb and in the comments there was a trend where poster's thought 182 CFM added up to 360HP.

Of course with a half decent cam there's 4 intake valves open at any one time and three of those are pulling hard on that 182 CFM, so that's about 60 odd CFM each, looking good for 160HP. Hot rodded carby and all vacuum connections open might see a couple of hundred horsepower.

I don't see 318 HP from that 318 ci engine if all the air enters from the top of that baby carburettor, hot rodded or not.
DV has been working on reducing the weight of the valvetrain. I believe there is more flow from the carb to the plenum?

-juhana
juuhanaa
HotPass
HotPass

Post by juuhanaa »

mt-engines wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:36 pm
Stan Weiss wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:46 pm
mt-engines wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:32 pm

Probably more than a 1hp/ci 2bb 318
Clearly we look at it totally differently.

Just how many 698 ci spread port BBC are there total in the world? Would someone with a 396/427/454 think that there is anything about that build that they could use? Probable not!

How many millions of Chrysler 318 2 barrel engines are there? Many of those people would think that there might be something about this build that they possible could use.

Stan
Considering they only made the 2bbl 318s for less than 20 years. I would think not many are left. Im sure the junkyards couldn't keep them on the shelves with all the big block to small block swaps guys do.

And I agree stan.. most car guys would walk right past a spread port, tunnel rammed big block at a car show just to high five and grab ass the guy with a 318hp 2bbl v8.

Real motor heads hate the sound of a 8k plus rpm big inch v8.. nothing is more sickening.

I'm far too young to remember guys swapping out their 440 6 pack and 426 hemis for 318 2bbls. Because I just don't recall hearing all the stories of people doing this.

What would anyone in today's car culture learn from this build? Maybe they should 318 2bbl swap their mustangs, camaros and hellcats.
Like how to measure primary runner lenght to make a proper calculation for Helmholtz?

-juhana
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

Dang, did a moderator do this, delete the original thread starter post? Without it the focus of the thread is lost, skewed.

When I watched that vid a few days ago I noticed he did not securely attach the carb with bolts and gaskets, he just placed it on the flange and let the bench suck on it and said, "... and I will hold it in place ..." I can tell you from experience, and I bet anyone whit flow bench experience will say the same, that any slight leak at a joint, mounting flange or gasket, which enters the air stream perpendicular to the flow axis will torpedo the flow numbers, so he didn't give that a fair test when he didn't bolt the carb down as securely and leak free as it would be in service on a running engine.

With a restricted carb like this a 318 has an advantage over a 350 Chevy because it has a shorter stroke so less internal friction.
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

Tom68 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:26 am

Woops?

-juhana

Yes, the manifold is killing a more than normal flow amount over the intake port (head) alone. But in most cases doesn't even a good flowing manifold drop the intake port (head) flow a small amount?

What the comments were based on is a general rule some people use that for ever 1 cfm of intake tract flow you should make 2 HP.

Stan

PS - When talking that 180 cfm and dividing it by 3 (to get your 60 cfm per cylinder) one needs to know if it is the plenum which caused that large drop in flow to the one cylinder head flow or was it poor intake runner design. I believe the latter and each cylinder will see much more than 60 cfm per cycle.
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

Tuner wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:25 am

Dang, did a moderator do this, delete the original thread starter post? Without it the focus of the thread is lost, skewed.

When I watched that vid a few days ago I noticed he did not securely attach the carb with bolts and gaskets, he just placed it on the flange and let the bench suck on it and said, "... and I will hold it in place ..." I can tell you from experience, and I bet anyone whit flow bench experience will say the same, that any slight leak at a joint, mounting flange or gasket, which enters the air stream perpendicular to the flow axis will torpedo the flow numbers, so he didn't give that a fair test when he didn't bolt the carb down as securely and leak free as it would be in service on a running engine.

With a restricted carb like this a 318 has an advantage over a 350 Chevy because it has a shorter stroke so less internal friction.
Not sure which video on the carb you are talking about. I know in one of the DV videos he talked about leakage and subtracted the leakage from the final flow numbers.

Stan
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

Tuner wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:25 am

Stan Weiss wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:23 amNot sure which video on the carb you are talking about. I know in one of the DV videos he talked about leakage and subtracted the leakage from the final flow numbers.

Stan
This is the video which was in the original .. OP in this thread which has now been deleted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nET9OQnF35A

Flow Bench 101, bench leakage must always be checked regularly and with each new setup and must be subtracted to have accurate flow numbers.

The leakage I am referring to is a leak between flanges, in this case the carb base and manifold flange, which is entering the flow horizontally, 90 degrees to the main vertical flow axis through the carb bore. Any leak from the side introduces turbulence which occupies flow path and reduces area of laminar flow and drastically reduces measured bench flow. Any small leak from the side, such as at the junction of manifold and head flange is a flow killer. For sure, others bench operators have seen this ... ??

In the video he simply places the carb on the flange and it isn't clear if there is even a gasket. Guaranteed it will leak and reduce the measured flow. A leak from the side can hurt flow worse than a 1/16" to 1/8" lip of gasket protruding into the bore.
arlancam509

Post by arlancam509 »

Bigchief632 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:20 am
Obviously, look who they voted for in the midterms, Pennsylvania right? J/K, we know he didn't win. :lol:

No one is building 2 barrell 318's. Except these guys. Last 318 I was inquired to about building, he got the block free, and wanted to make it a 392 stroker. I Would think following a 698 all aluminum spread port bbc build that'll make 2.1+ per cubic inch, and actually run like it has that much power, then have the option of another 1000 worth of nitrous, in a 2700lb fox body 275 radial mustang, would be a lot more entertaining.
If you make that video, I will watch it. It seems like nobody is making the hardcore videos.

I watch hours of youtube and I get so frustrated with the 'dumbed-down' videos... I still watch though because I will sometimes get a pinch of info here and there that I can use. On the other hand, so much is downright wrong... haha.

serious extra personal time now - everybody hates their own voice, right? well, if i had at least a normal adult male voice, i would make some decent youtube videos. "what do you mean by that"? i'll tell you... i am 50 years old and a man (shocking, i know) and have been called "ma'am" on the phone all my life. when i was in high school, friends would call my house and i would answer and they thought they were talking to my grandma. yeah, it's been fun. :oops: at least in my youtube videos, i would call things by their actual name. harmonic damper? or does it balance harmonics? :D
° alt+0176 °
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

If that cast iron intake manifold will flow 182 cfm through all 8 runners, then he should be able to make 318 hp with a good head port, metric ring package, good solid lifter camshaft, and light weight valve train. Anything over 9.5-10.4:1 compression should get there with premium fuel. The exhaust manifolds can be hand ported, or extrude honed, and if you really want to push the envelope, hand port the manifold and then send it to extrude hone to clean up those tight corners that a burr would have trouble reaching. This endeavor sounds similar to an EMC challenge that has been proven possible. Joe-71
Joe-71
Bigchief632
Pro
Pro

Post by Bigchief632 »

Joe-71 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:28 am If that cast iron intake manifold will flow 182 cfm through all 8 runners, then he should be able to make 318 hp with a good head port, metric ring package, good solid lifter camshaft, and light weight valve train. Anything over 9.5-10.4:1 compression should get there with premium fuel. The exhaust manifolds can be hand ported, or extrude honed, and if you really want to push the envelope, hand port the manifold and then send it to extrude hone to clean up those tight corners that a burr would have trouble reaching. This endeavor sounds similar to an EMC challenge that has been proven possible. Joe-71
No one ever said it wasn't possible. Just a stupid waste of time. And, if Uncle Tony is building this thing, it won't have trick pistons and ring package, the manifolds won't be going to be extrude honed, etc etc. It's likely going to be a re rung stock short block, with a hone job using a 3 finger hone from O Reilly's.
Maximum power using simple logic and common sense
Bigchief632
Pro
Pro

Post by Bigchief632 »

arlancam509 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:51 am
Bigchief632 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:20 am
Obviously, look who they voted for in the midterms, Pennsylvania right? J/K, we know he didn't win. :lol:

No one is building 2 barrell 318's. Except these guys. Last 318 I was inquired to about building, he got the block free, and wanted to make it a 392 stroker. I Would think following a 698 all aluminum spread port bbc build that'll make 2.1+ per cubic inch, and actually run like it has that much power, then have the option of another 1000 worth of nitrous, in a 2700lb fox body 275 radial mustang, would be a lot more entertaining.
If you make that video, I will watch it. It seems like nobody is making the hardcore videos.

I watch hours of youtube and I get so frustrated with the 'dumbed-down' videos... I still watch though because I will sometimes get a pinch of info here and there that I can use. On the other hand, so much is downright wrong... haha.

serious extra personal time now - everybody hates their own voice, right? well, if i had at least a normal adult male voice, i would make some decent youtube videos. "what do you mean by that"? i'll tell you... i am 50 years old and a man (shocking, i know) and have been called "ma'am" on the phone all my life. when i was in high school, friends would call my house and i would answer and they thought they were talking to my grandma. yeah, it's been fun. :oops: at least in my youtube videos, i would call things by their actual name. harmonic damper? or does it balance harmonics? :D
Yeah, I pretty much don't even watch regular TV anymore. Just YouTube. It is amazing how many videos on how to hone your block properly are out there. And then they either use a ball hone or a cheap 3 stone hone from O Reilly's. Or the literally thousands of videos on how to lap valves.
Maximum power using simple logic and common sense
juuhanaa
HotPass
HotPass

Post by juuhanaa »

get a blonde with big boobs in a bikini, then get her to hold your ported intake near her boobs and talk about how and why you ported it that way
Maybe easier said than done.. Lol my neighbor is on the lead. :)

https://youtu.be/zKklmnbjoo8

-juhana
Super_Stock

Post by Super_Stock »

It just seems to me that some people around here, don't like the fact that they're just not as big of a deal as they think they are.
Charles is a member here, maybe we should be focusing on what he's trying to do and support him in that effort, instead of complaining about someone else's Youtube content and why he gets more views than others do.
There are plenty of other forums on the Net that will welcome Karens and Political antagonists with open arms. If you feel the need to act like that, then go to one of them.
I for one, don't want to see Speed Talk, get polluted, by that sort of crap.