Shaft rockers oiling

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Knight rider
Shaft rockers oiling

Post by Knight rider »

I'm fitting a set of DNA shaft Rockers and I can't see where they oil any of the bearings , tip or spray the valve springs

The adjuster has a oil holes but that's it , nothing drilled in the rocker anywhere , so what's the go ?

I see T&D do oil feeds as per pic drawing but I've looked at others online and can't really see oiling holes either

They're off a BB chev but being fitting to a clevo :) cheers
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Re: Shaft rockers oiling

Post by SupStk »

If you can't see oil holes in the rocker I'd assume there isn't any. Some adjusters are drilled straight through so any oiling in critical places is by chance. Rockers without direct oiling should at least have a spray bar, in my opinion.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Have you called them ?? Their web site says " featuring internal oil lubrication galleries to the shaft bearing and roller tip" Maybe they missed a step in manufacturing ?? Are you absolutely sure there is no hole in the threads for the adjuster ?

https://www.speedmaster79.com/Chevy-SBC ... r-Arms-Set Read down about 3/4 page where it says " CNC Machined"
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
Knight rider

Post by Knight rider »

Definitely no holes drilled anywhere , I've pulled the shaft to look as well, also no exiting holes to spray anything but looking at pics of jesel sportsman and some others I don't see any exiting holes either thanks.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Knight rider wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:10 pm Definitely no holes drilled anywhere
So what did they say when you called them ?
Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
Knight rider

Post by Knight rider »

BillK wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:25 pm
Knight rider wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:10 pm Definitely no holes drilled anywhere
So what did they say when you called them ?
I've messaged them being I'm in Aussie land , doubt they work my hours lol , actually messaged summit as that where I got them and might actually get a reply

Was hoping to see some pics from guys here how other are drilled oiled as I've never used shaft rockers before and ones I see on the net don't seem to show oiling holes in a lot of them cheers
Knight rider

Post by Knight rider »

Nothing I can see for a oil feed hole

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I drilled some SBC Proform stud mount rockers for a oil hole to the roller tip, use a reamer to clean up the holes.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Jesel rockers are all this way, no direct trunion oiling.
Knight rider

Post by Knight rider »

Warp Speed wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:34 am Jesel rockers are all this way, no direct trunion oiling.
Thanks , I'm actually more worried about the poor valve springs getting next to nothing , seems these setups fix one problem and create another with poor oiling

Even a normal stud mount rollers aren't direct oiling but at least have exiting oil spray holes which will get oil where you need it

These shaft rockers only spray out under the pushrod cup and hope some gets around the head - doesn't seem very clever to me but maybe I'm missing something here

Think I'll be drilling some holes
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

kr,
I just got off the phone with Speedmaster for you and the guy I talked to said there absolutely was supposed to be oiling passages. He said the he could not get in touch with the manufacturer in Australia until next week but that you should get in touch with Summit about replacements ? I know thats not as easy as it sounds considering your location. And then you wouldnt know that you might get another set that are the same way.

Hope this helps. I dont mind making a phone call for you if it helps,
Bill
Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
Knight rider

Post by Knight rider »

BillK wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:40 pm kr,
I just got off the phone with Speedmaster for you and the guy I talked to said there absolutely was supposed to be oiling passages. He said the he could not get in touch with the manufacturer in Australia until next week but that you should get in touch with Summit about replacements ? I know thats not as easy as it sounds considering your location. And then you wouldnt know that you might get another set that are the same way.

Hope this helps. I dont mind making a phone call for you if it helps,
Bill
Helps alot thanks heaps , I'll see what summit say but might take you up on that if I have no luck

Nice to know they are meant to have oiling holes cheers

The guys over here didn't have any, why I got them from summit
Loftfan

Post by Loftfan »

Oil holes in rockers are mostly a gimmick. If you're serious about oiling, add a spray bar to your valve covers. Just be sure your oil pump has about 3 extra GPM of capacity.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Knight rider wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:31 am Think I'll be drilling some holes
Used a piece of bent metal, to make sure I didn't go into the roller when breaking thru. Don't rem exactly how it was but I rem it had witness marks even though I was trying to be careful :D
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Knight rider

Post by Knight rider »

BOOT wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:41 pm
Knight rider wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:31 am Think I'll be drilling some holes
Used a piece of bent metal, to make sure I didn't go into the roller when breaking thru. Don't rem exactly how it was but I rem it had witness marks even though I was trying to be careful :D
Thanks

I've made a little jig up and laser level , works good

I'll grub screw the outside hole

Nothing back from Speedmaster and summit well not worth talking about so decided just to drill them

The needle rollers are the hardest bit , not caged so take them all out

next gas station near my location