Longer-term Storage Than Planned

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Polysphere

Longer-term Storage Than Planned

Post by Polysphere »

I'm looking for suggestions on what I might do to provide optimum long-term cylinder wall protection on my long block. Due to part availability issues, errors on parts found during upper-end assembly and changes in valve train geometry, this engine has taken quite a bit longer than planned. The usual short block assembly and lubrication was followed, all orifices are plugged and the engine has been bagged. But with these delays and the high humidity environment I live in, I'm a little worried. I ran a bore scope into each of the cylinders through the spark plug holes. Generally everything looks good although I do see a couple of very small discolored areas or stains in one cylinder wall.

I'm probably 3-4 weeks from starting the engine. Is there a dessicant I might consider in the mean time? Is there a lubricant other than engine oil that would provide better protection to cylinder walls? Or, should l just leave it as-is and continue once per week engine rotation with a break bar?

Thanks Much.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Re: Longer-term Storage Than Planned

Post by Geoff2 »

Use ATF. Engine oil will dry out, ATF will not. With grease, it is easy to miss a spot. With a liquid, it will cover everything.
Polysphere

Post by Polysphere »

Thanks much Geoff. I did an initial cylinder wipe with ATF for cleaning purposes before oiling the rings / piston install but will go back and apply now for added protection.
allencr267
Pro
Pro

Post by allencr267 »

Polysphere wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:29 pm ...once per week engine rotation...
This accomplishes nothing, can only scrape/displace any lube, worsening it, sucks in humidity & expels lube vapor, and the spring compress don't care.
Don't touch it, daily, weekly, monthly, whatever.
It's the fast temp change, cold to warm & its condensation that really hurts stuff.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

How long has it actually been since you assembled it ? A month ? A year ?
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Fog it, put the plugs in and back off the rockers. Seal it in a bag on the stand with a Damp-Rid bucket or sim.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Polysphere

Post by Polysphere »

Assembled 3 months ago. I'm hopeful to button it up in 2 weeks.

I also thought about the fogging oil spray. I wish there was a method of getting good cylinder coverage with the heads on.
bentvalves
Expert
Expert

Post by bentvalves »

Polysphere wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:30 am Assembled 3 months ago. I'm hopeful to button it up in 2 weeks.

I also thought about the fogging oil spray. I wish there was a method of getting good cylinder coverage with the heads on.
there is a product or tool in the aviation world that does just that.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Polysphere wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:30 am Assembled 3 months ago. I'm hopeful to button it up in 2 weeks.
Thats nothing. I thought you were talking years. Squirt a little oil in each cylinder and fire it up. I bet half the engines I have built for guys doing restorations dont get started for a year or more.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
54chevkiwi
Pro
Pro

Post by 54chevkiwi »

I used desiccant spark plugs and my engine sat for 4 years. Backed the rockers off, didn't rotate it. Cylinders still looked perfect with a borescope..

My 421 is in my house, the kitchen doubles as an assembly area, like hell was I leaving that to rust in the garage in humid Virginia. Ahhh, the advantages of being single lol
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Phillips 66 makes an R & O oil specifically to combat rust and oxidation.

Other oil companies may have similar products.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Stapleton42 with Lake Speed and Greg Anderson. (Spoiler alert, it makes the same power.)

This C3 Ford was a FRESH REBUILD back in 2004 and left unused inside former NASCAR driver Lake Speed's race shop. It has some seriously ugly surface rust INSIDE the cylinders from two decades of humid North Carolina summers, and we throw it on the dyno at PME! Lets compare how much power it made in 2004 vs today, THEN tear it down and inspect it with high tech equipment! You will see this engine evolve with a rebuild using modern pistons without changing the valve train to see how much better modern engine tech really is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tttgTCnZsN4
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!