hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Calvin made me some headers.

Post by hoffman900 »

289nate wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:51 am
hoffman900 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:09 pm
n2omike wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:34 pm

Something he had a jig for, or custom made? Nate said he had a jig for these... and they weren't cheap, but not insanely expensive.
Hopefully, Nate didn't have to pay THAT much. A buddy paid Lemons $2,500 for some 2-1/4" tubes for a 632 in his Chevelle a few years ago... and they fit GOOD. I believe they were stainless... but could have been coated. Can't remember for sure, but I'm thinking stainless. (before Covid)
Not to derail this thread, but Calvin is a bargain for what you get. He could charge that much for knowledge consulting alone, let alone what he builds for you, and I don’t think what he does is comparable to most header builders except somewhere like Goodfabs and the like. His packaging is second to none.

A friend had a header built by Calvin. Made 10-12% more power everywhere with two main size smaller jets, over a Stahl header of the mostly the same overall length and collector. Really highlighted to me how important tube size and packaging to make that tube sized worked.
10-12%??? I was expecting 3% at best.
Don’t think about numbers. I know someone who in a very rules limited combination didn’t make more peak, but made a lot more mid range and did better on the overrun too. Road race car so this stuff matters.
-Bob
289nate
Expert
Expert

Post by 289nate »

hoffman900 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:08 am
289nate wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:51 am
hoffman900 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:09 pm

Not to derail this thread, but Calvin is a bargain for what you get. He could charge that much for knowledge consulting alone, let alone what he builds for you, and I don’t think what he does is comparable to most header builders except somewhere like Goodfabs and the like. His packaging is second to none.

A friend had a header built by Calvin. Made 10-12% more power everywhere with two main size smaller jets, over a Stahl header of the mostly the same overall length and collector. Really highlighted to me how important tube size and packaging to make that tube sized worked.
10-12%??? I was expecting 3% at best.
Don’t think about numbers. I know someone who in a very rules limited combination didn’t make more peak, but made a lot more mid range and did better on the overrun too. Road race car so this stuff matters.
That is more what I would expect. My thinking is shift recovery will be improved which will help the little engine accelerate better down the track.
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

289nate wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:38 pm Been raining, so I got bored and pieced them together as I sit around and wait on the engine and some final parts.
Artwork there.
Jim
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

289nate wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:00 pm Yes. ‘65 Mustang engine bay. I did have to send him one of my cylinder heads though.
I always slotted my bolt holes and or ported them to match my cylinder heads and after talking to Calvin I learned this was needed, I wonder how much is lost when people just bolt on a set of headers and never take this into consideration?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
289nate
Expert
Expert

Post by 289nate »

I matched the flange on my last set of Hooker headers to the cylinder heads i used on that build. Don’t know that it did anything. I figured it couldn’t hurt plus the grinder was sitting there, staring at me with the burr already attached.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

I would think they will fit perfectly already as Mr Elston had a cylinder head to work from.
Calvin has plenty of threads on flange size and position as his pet peve was exhaust ports that were to big.
I have never seen his headers in real life only photos but everything I have seen look incredible,what a talent to have.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Since we are talking about Calvin, does anyone happen to remember what hp he said a 4-in diameter tail pipe (not collector) could support? I saw it somewhere and it was one of those "oh I'll remember that for sure" deals.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

Surprised there are no "diodes" as he calls them in the primary or secondary tubes. Have read lots of threads where he discusses the use of ar cans, aka diodes in the system, but no photos of them in use. truly artwork!
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Bill Chase wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:57 am Surprised there are no "diodes" as he calls them in the primary or secondary tubes. Have read lots of threads where he discusses the use of ar cans, aka diodes in the system, but no photos of them in use. truly artwork!
My experience is Calvin uses them in the tailpipe after the dual to single merge. I’ve only seen him use them in the primary on 4-1 headers (one for a friend and Sprint Cars), and he doesn’t do too many of those.

I don’t think you want them in a 4-2-1 header as you’re already mitigating waves with the extra collectors.
-Bob
289nate
Expert
Expert

Post by 289nate »

Brought the engine home today. Should get on the engine dyno in the not too terribly distant future. If I have time, I will try to use against a standard set of headers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

RevTheory wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:35 am Since we are talking about Calvin, does anyone happen to remember what hp he said a 4-in diameter tail pipe (not collector) could support? I saw it somewhere and it was one of those "oh I'll remember that for sure" deals.
We have made 620+ with one of Calvin's single 4" tailpipes on 310 cid T/A engines.
Carlquist Competition Engines
289nate
Expert
Expert

Post by 289nate »

Calvin did mention the single tail pipe road race exhaust and thought it could work well on my combo. He told me about the success they had with it on the dyno. I declined for now, but might revisit that idea down the road. Part of me would really like to show up to the dragstrip with a single 4 inch exhaust and watch everybody laugh about it. Then go out and run a solid number.
289nate
Expert
Expert

Post by 289nate »

Engine dyno session scheduled for Sept 18th at Vrbancic Brothers Racing. Unfortunately, it is doubtful the headers will fit around the dyno.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

289nate just curious where is the Verbancic Brothers located I haven’t seen those guys since the late nineties 2000.Are they doing any engines builds?
Chris_Hamilton
Pro
Pro

Post by Chris_Hamilton »

1972ho wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:23 am 289nate just curious where is the Verbancic Brothers located I haven’t seen those guys since the late nineties 2000.Are they doing any engines builds?
https://www.google.com/search?q=Vrbanci ... irefox-b-1
High quality metal, body and paint work
http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.php?t ... inia.9030/