Calvin made me some headers.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

54chevkiwi
Pro
Pro

Re: Calvin made me some headers.

Post by 54chevkiwi »

compguy wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:53 am 306 stainless of course, roughly $ cost?
He charged me $3500 in 2016 which included single tailpipe exhaust and a magnaflow muffler
chimpvalet
Pro
Pro

Post by chimpvalet »

The Vintage early Mustangs I watched at Sonoma ( Sears Point back then ) soundly like pure music when winding out on exit at Turn 2!
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

chimpvalet wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:35 pm The Vintage early Mustangs I watched at Sonoma ( Sears Point back then ) soundly like pure music when winding out on exit at Turn 2!
https://youtu.be/NhWAZgaDK-w

Bill_C’s engines with Calvin’s exhaust.
-Bob
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

hoffman900 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:37 pm
chimpvalet wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:35 pm The Vintage early Mustangs I watched at Sonoma ( Sears Point back then ) soundly like pure music when winding out on exit at Turn 2!
https://youtu.be/NhWAZgaDK-w

Bill_C’s engines with Calvin’s exhaust.
Great video,
Thanks for sharing.
Awesome power curve
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

54chevkiwi wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:34 am
compguy wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:53 am 306 stainless of course, roughly $ cost?
He charged me $3500 in 2016 which included single tailpipe exhaust and a magnaflow muffler
Something he had a jig for, or custom made? Nate said he had a jig for these... and they weren't cheap, but not insanely expensive.
Hopefully, Nate didn't have to pay THAT much. A buddy paid Lemons $2,500 for some 2-1/4" tubes for a 632 in his Chevelle a few years ago... and they fit GOOD. I believe they were stainless... but could have been coated. Can't remember for sure, but I'm thinking stainless. (before Covid)
Hrdlx62
Pro
Pro

Post by Hrdlx62 »

Tube Screamer??
54chevkiwi
Pro
Pro

Post by 54chevkiwi »

n2omike wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:34 pm
Something he had a jig for, or custom made? Nate said he had a jig for these... and they weren't cheap, but not insanely expensive.
Hopefully, Nate didn't have to pay THAT much. A buddy paid Lemons $2,500 for some 2-1/4" tubes for a 632 in his Chevelle a few years ago... and they fit GOOD. I believe they were stainless... but could have been coated. Can't remember for sure, but I'm thinking stainless. (before Covid)
Mine were custom. I believe he has a jig for a lot of that historic racing stuff so they'd be a little less I'd think
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Not to derail this thread, but Calvin is a bargain for what you get. He could charge that much for knowledge consulting alone, let alone what he builds for you, and I don’t think what he does is comparable to most header builders except somewhere like Goodfabs and the like. His packaging is second to none.

A friend had a header built by Calvin. Made 10-12% more power everywhere with two main size smaller jets, over a Stahl header of the mostly the same overall length and collector. Really highlighted to me how important tube size and packaging to make that tube sized worked.
-Bob
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

Calvin made two sets of custom headers for the Cobra. Nothing but the best!

First set was for the heads up NMRA Coyote Stock class...

...and this set is for the latest endeavor.

"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
289nate
Expert
Expert

Post by 289nate »

Were they a 4-2-1 design Mike?
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

289nate wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:07 pm
n2omike wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:34 pm Something he had a jig for, or custom made? Nate said he had a jig for these... and they weren't cheap, but not insanely expensive.
Hopefully, Nate didn't have to pay THAT much. A buddy paid Lemons $2,500 for some 2-1/4" tubes for a 632 in his Chevelle a few years ago... and they fit GOOD. I believe they were stainless... but could have been coated. Can't remember for sure, but I'm thinking stainless.
No, they were a 4 into 1 design... so lots of tubing. lol Lemons offers both a full race, as well as a pro-touring option. The race version has tubes going both inside and outside the frame rail, and lots of options for tube/collector size. The pro-touring is more user friendly, with all the tubes inside the frame rail. My buddy probably went with the pro-touring, as he said they were incredibly easy to install. He said they were really expensive, but was very happy with them. Starting price these days is $1,750 for pretty much any header (probably mild steel), but can go up from there depending on options. Seems they only make headers for Chevy engines... and only in Chevy cars, except for the Fox mustang. lol

https://lemonsheaders.com/product-list/
289nate
Expert
Expert

Post by 289nate »

n2omike wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:49 pm
289nate wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:07 pm
n2omike wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:34 pm Something he had a jig for, or custom made? Nate said he had a jig for these... and they weren't cheap, but not insanely expensive.
Hopefully, Nate didn't have to pay THAT much. A buddy paid Lemons $2,500 for some 2-1/4" tubes for a 632 in his Chevelle a few years ago... and they fit GOOD. I believe they were stainless... but could have been coated. Can't remember for sure, but I'm thinking stainless.
No, they were a 4 into 1 design... so lots of tubing. lol Lemons offers both a full race, as well as a pro-touring option. The race version has tubes going both inside and outside the frame rail, and lots of options for tube/collector size. The pro-touring is more user friendly, with all the tubes inside the frame rail. My buddy probably went with the pro-touring, as he said they were incredibly easy to install. He said they were really expensive, but was very happy with them. Starting price these days is $1,750 for pretty much any header (probably mild steel), but can go up from there depending on options. Seems they only make headers for Chevy engines... and only in Chevy cars, except for the Fox mustang. lol

https://lemonsheaders.com/product-list/
What I figured. Not what I was interested in. At that point, I would just have stuck with a shelf header.
289nate
Expert
Expert

Post by 289nate »

hoffman900 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:09 pm

Not to derail this thread, but Calvin is a bargain for what you get. He could charge that much for knowledge consulting alone, let alone what he builds for you, and I don’t think what he does is comparable to most header builders except somewhere like Goodfabs and the like. His packaging is second to none.

A friend had a header built by Calvin. Made 10-12% more power everywhere with two main size smaller jets, over a Stahl header of the mostly the same overall length and collector. Really highlighted to me how important tube size and packaging to make that tube sized worked.
10-12%??? I was expecting 3% at best.
54chevkiwi
Pro
Pro

Post by 54chevkiwi »

hoffman900 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:09 pm

Don't forget bend radius along with tube size... The bigger the bend radius the more a smaller pipe will flow over a larger pipe with smaller radius....
I think at the very least 6" bend radius for the first 8" off the head, or at least to the first step would be a minimum
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

hoffman900 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:54 pm Oh, nice!

Take it this was something he had a jig for already?
I gave Calvin a junk DART 8.2 deck block and Cobra automotive donated a front clip so Calvin can make Mustang headers for them without the car being there.
Carlquist Competition Engines