Quick fuel, holley choke

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RCJ
Expert
Expert

Quick fuel, holley choke

Post by RCJ »

Anybody know if QF and holley chokes interchange.
1980RS
Guru
Guru
Re: Quick fuel, holley choke

Post by 1980RS »

I think they should be as most of the chokes I take out look to be the same between the two manufacturers.
olescarb

Post by olescarb »

Yes in most cases a Holley choke will fit on a quick fuel carb. Since Quick Fuel and Holley are using on many of their newer carbs a choke without a choke pull-off piston so we are using Holley # 45-224s electric choke kit for the carbs that need a external vacuum source or # 45-223s for carbs that have the vacuum port on the main body for the choke in-order to allow the choke system to operate properly. when we are working on a carb with the non-shiny finish just drop the s off the end of the part#.
Henry @ olescarb
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

Having some trouble with an electric choke. When I set it to start in 40 degrees weather works fine. When I stop for more that 5minutes the choke closes up and the truck has to crank a lot to start. This is on an rpm air gap manifold with a 1 inch plastic spacer. I think the carb is cooling off to fast with the airgap manifold.
BobbyB
Pro
Pro

Post by BobbyB »

RCJ wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:48 pm Having some trouble with an electric choke. When I set it to start in 40 degrees weather works fine. When I stop for more that 5minutes the choke closes up and the truck has to crank a lot to start. This is on an rpm air gap manifold with a 1 inch plastic spacer. I think the carb is cooling off to fast with the airgap manifold.
I have a quick fuel carb with electric choke on an RPM airgap too. Mine seems "cold natured" too. Please post what you do to make your better.
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

The choke was a waist of time. This carb had been on a different motor , to get it to stop stumbling on take off I went from .070 idle air bleeds to .065. Adjusted the idle screws to highest vacuum drove ,then went 1/2 turn in drove again. Like 1/2 in better. .069 main jet. This gave 11.5 afr at idle,13.2 at cruise ,12.5 wot. Post more later
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

As to the cold natured, it was 42 degrees yesterday morning 44 today. The choke only helps in the first 15 sec. Where my trouble is , I drive off the 70mph express way to a bumper to bumper stoplight. No matter the water temp. It doesn't like idling and is hard to get going. After the 2nd light everything is better. I believe the carb is getting to cold on the highway
. I have a plastic 4 hole spacer ,I was going to remove it and set the carb on the intake, but the aircleaner would be against the distburtor. I installed an aluminum super sucker and went from a 31 accelerator squirter to a 35. It was definitely better this morning
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

Just to give some feedback, I never could get the airgap to work like I wanted. This a cruiser and will never see the drag strip.i took a performer and put 100 little drill starts in the plenum floor and a 4 hole spacer. From idle to 2500 it is alot more responsive at part throttle inputs.The airgap would be better at the strip but the driveablity of the performer is better suited to what I need