David Vizard's 128 cam selection for small block Chevys

Moderator: David Vizard

mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Re: David Vizard's 128 cam selection for small block Chevys

Post by mt-engines »

David Vizard wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:55 pm
SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:43 pm Waste of time.
Title "Hyper advanced ProStock-plus, cam tech" for a video about 10:1 SBCs targeted toward complete novices with nothing at all relevant to Pro-Stock.
Jon,
Only you could misinterpret a video that is about as explicate as it gets. It will predict a ProStock cam right on the money. I am really getting to the point where you feel you must have a negative criticism of my work for some reason or other than I find inexplicable.There is not one Prostock engineer out there that could have given this info and yet you still have to come up with something less than complimentary. I know for a fact that you could not have produced that video!
But all the above is only my opinion and I just might be biased so let's hear some other opinions and see what they have to say.
DV
DV last prostock engine I built was in 2009, what did you run for cam spec then? Being that I built only 10 combinations in 4 years but had been in the circle. I don't recall a single team or person running anything from you in pro stock, that even trickles down to Cup, Pro cup, Arca Scca etc that you claim... same thing. I recall you coming to my shop in Mooresville just down from CV products, but then you were essentially looking for handouts for some formula sae stuff.

Can you spec me a cam? I know what works just wondering how far off I am and how much power I am losing not buying one from you? Could you enlighten me? You can PM me if you would prefer.
JC565Ford
Expert
Expert

Post by JC565Ford »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:46 am
That still sounds expensive to maintain.
Is it V-drive?
Jet-

The 950hp single carb version was together for 11 years. Same valve springs - PSI (super clean silicone) 300 seat - 725 over the nose. After 11 years lost 5 lbs on the seat and 10 over the nose. Most years during the off season I didn't even back the rockers off. Still getting a hand on the TR engine combination that made 1,002 at 7,600. The current small Comp cam 275/277 @ .050, .805 -.785 net lift, 113 LC, makes power to 7,600 and idles at 1,000 rpm and fires with a single turn of the key. The engine is under a full rebuild now and will get Mike's cam installed.
Last edited by JC565Ford on Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:34 am
JC565Ford wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:29 am I'm in the midst of rebuilding the 565 with my old friend Mummert. I have a Jones cam for it that Mike ground about 1.5 yrs back The target is 1,000+ at 7,200 and maybe 800 lbs ft at 5,800. Maybe I'll run the 128 cam formula and see ...... #-o
:lol:
How much lift will you be running?
I have lost track of what Pro-Stock valve lift is these days?
Last I heard was something like 1.2"

Just for fun:

Question to Chat GPT-4:
What cam specs would be good for a big block Ford 565 cubic inches running 7200 rpm to make 1000 horsepower?

Answer:
To determine the optimal camshaft specifications for a big block Ford engine with 565 cubic inches and a 7200 RPM redline, the engine's characteristics, intended use, and other factors must be taken into consideration. However, as a general starting point, the following camshaft specifications could be considered for an engine aiming to produce 1000 horsepower:

Duration: 260-270 degrees intake/exhaust at .050" tappet lift
Lobe Separation Angle (LSA): 110-112 degrees
Lift: .800" - .850" intake and exhaust
Centerline: 106-108 degrees

It is important to note that camshaft selection should be based on the engine's intended use, operating RPM range, and other factors. Camshafts with more duration and lift can provide more power, but they can also have an impact on low-end torque and drivability. Additionally, other factors such as compression ratio, cylinder head flow, and intake/exhaust system design can all have an impact on the engine's performance.

Therefore, it is recommended to consult with an experienced engine builder or camshaft manufacturer to determine the best camshaft specifications for the specific engine build and application. They can use dyno testing and other tools to determine the optimal camshaft specifications to maximize power and performance while also ensuring drivability and reliability.
I'd add 12 degrees on the 270 number and run .850 lift.

I did a 572 trickflow A460 heads with a460 intake cam was 284/298 114 .867 lift and it made 1020hp@7200 i can look up the dyno file.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

Jets must have improved a lot since I used to help John Basset.
The way I remember it was anything above about 6500 RPM and the maintenance was crazy high.
That was going to Lake Elsinore when it was just beginning to turn green.

I wonder if all this rain has improved Lake Elsinore, Canyon Lake or Salton Sea?
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

mt-engines wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:04 am

I did a 572 trickflow A460 heads with a460 intake cam was 284/298 114 .867 lift and it made 1020hp@7200 i can look up the dyno file.
Chat does seem to regularly be low on duration, I wonder where it gets that info?
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:07 am
mt-engines wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:04 am

Chat does seem to regularly be low on duration, I wonder where it gets that info?
Well very good combos don't need much duration. But that seems low still. But still a cool tool
JC565Ford
Expert
Expert

Post by JC565Ford »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:06 am Jets must have improved a lot since I used to help John Basset.
The way I remember it was anything above about 6500 RPM and the maintenance was crazy high.
That was going to Lake Elsinore when it was just beginning to turn green.

I wonder if all this rain has improved Lake Elsinore, Canyon Lake or Salton Sea?
The water is certainly up in Lake "Smellsomemore" this year. I haven't heard about the Salton Sea, but they are on the wrong side of the mountains for a lot of run off.

This pump is efficient to 7,400 and as long as you keep tons of sand out of it, or don't suck up a handful of rocks ( like I did 4 years ago) they are basically maintenance free for sometime with the right parts installed.
JC565Ford
Expert
Expert

Post by JC565Ford »

mt-engines wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:13 am
Well very good combos don't need much duration. But that seems low still. But still a cool tool
They don't, but they are valve-train beaters with running high lift cams. Very aggressive lobes.
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:15 am
digger wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:10 am the first question to be answered is what does the best cam look like or even mean? without a very specific criteria you are trying to answer a question that isn't even defined
I think it is fair to say that for most DV readers that means a low-buck rebuilt iron-headed sbc.
I mean what is the goal:
- most peak power;
- most torque;
- most average power in rpm
or something else?

Each will require a different camshaft
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

digger wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:18 am
digger wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:10 am the first question to be answered is what does the best cam look like or even mean? without a very specific criteria you are trying to answer a question that isn't even defined
I think it is fair to say that for most DV readers that means a low-buck rebuilt iron-headed sbc.
I mean what is the goal:
- most peak power;
- most torque;
or something else?

I think David is going for most average horsepower with 128.

Of course most of us are going for, peak rev use, idle to suit existing converter, might not want to pull short down to cut pistons for tight LSA piston clearance, then there's I just want X idle, I don't really care it's got more power than I'll use just want it to last, etc etc.

I think the 128 rule would be pretty handy for Chev powered cylinder head restricted dirt track classes.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

JC565Ford wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:29 am I'm in the midst of rebuilding the 565 with my old friend Mummert. I have a Jones cam for it that Mike ground about 1.5 yrs back The target is 1,000+ at 7,200 and maybe 800 lbs ft at 5,800. Maybe I'll run the 128 cam formula and see ...... #-o

Just for fun:

Question to Chat GPT-4:
What cam specs would be good for a big block Ford 565 cubic inches running 7200 rpm to make 1000 horsepower?

Answer:
To determine the optimal camshaft specifications for a big block Ford engine with 565 cubic inches and a 7200 RPM redline, the engine's characteristics, intended use, and other factors must be taken into consideration. However, as a general starting point, the following camshaft specifications could be considered for an engine aiming to produce 1000 horsepower:

It is important to note that camshaft selection should be based on the engine's intended use, operating RPM range, and other factors. Camshafts with more duration and lift can provide more power, but they can also have an impact on low-end torque and drivability. Additionally, other factors such as compression ratio, cylinder head flow, and intake/exhaust system design can all have an impact on the engine's performance.

Therefore, it is recommended to consult with an experienced engine builder or camshaft manufacturer to determine the best camshaft specifications for the specific engine build and application. They can use dyno testing and other tools to determine the optimal camshaft specifications to maximize power and performance while also ensuring drivability and reliability.
Aren't you a can designer with the best software available? I believe that is what you have told us over and over and over...
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Tom68 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:31 am
digger wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:18 am

I mean what is the goal:
- most peak power;
- most torque;
or something else?

I think David is going for most average horsepower with 128.

Of course most of us are going for, peak rev use, idle to suit existing converter, might not want to pull short down to cut pistons for tight LSA piston clearance, then there's I just want X idle, I don't really care it's got more power than I'll use just want it to last, etc etc.

I think the 128 rule would be pretty handy for Chev powered cylinder head restricted dirt track classes.
Although I would have no problem using DV's 128 for it's intended purpose or his LSA chart or my revision of it for other builds the problem still lies with overlap to get to duration, 128 works fine for engines I know so I know what overlap I am looking for but what do you do when you get outside of an engine you know and you need an overlap for that rpm to come up with duration?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

GARY C wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:29 am

Just for fun:

Question to Chat GPT-4:

Answer:

Aren't you a can designer with the best software available? I believe that is what you have told us over and over and over...
You just couldn't resist eh?!? :roll:
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Warp Speed wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:30 am
GARY C wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:29 am

Just for fun:

Question to Chat GPT-4:

Answer:

You just couldn't resist eh?!? :roll:
You neither eh?!? :lol:
Please Note!
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Hiya,
Two things that fight in a boat compared to a drag car. The torque absorption curve of the hull and then the jet is extremely steep, therefore, the cam/valve events are completely different. You cannot have a "curve" or you will never get to the next rpm :wink:
1400hp.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl