David Vizard's 128 cam selection for small block Chevys

Moderator: David Vizard

Carnut1
Guru
Guru

David Vizard's 128 cam selection for small block Chevys

Post by Carnut1 »

I know this has been done before but D.V. put out this video recently and reminded me of one of the 7 or 8 seminars I have been to. While D.V. was going over the 128 cam selection in class I decided to try it for some of the best running engines I have ever designed. Now, I did a bunch of research, calling experts and finally had my own system for specing cams. Turns out using D.V.'s fit my cam choices within one degree lca.You may ask why I have been at so many D.V. seminars. Well, I paid full price for the first seminar which was well worth it, at the end of the seminar D.V. said this to me,"Charlie we need to work together". Since I had been reading his books since I was a teenager I was thrilled!
D.V.'s pricing is usually pay full price for the first seminar half for the second seminar and third is free but you are expected to help with seminar projects. D.V
Actually asked me to co teach parts of the seminar and it was very rewarding. Sorry for the free flowing thoughts, I watched the video and I wanted to convey to Speedtalk that the video I liked and agree with for the engine specified. Thanks
https://youtu.be/0kDFS72mYdA
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Re: David Vizard's 128 cam selection for small block Chevys

Post by Tom68 »

David Vizard says his 128 rule that gives tight LSAs is reverse algebra of valve events from empirical data, he just doesn't ever say that in one sentence.

He says the above in his own way in that video.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

Charlie, I have a 13 degree headed 380" SBC w/91mm turbo.
4.155"x3.5
13:1 compression
275 radial tire 1/8th mile heads up
Max effort deal.
Profiler 13 degree heads 2.200" int /1.58" exh

What would you suggest for cam?
55mm roller journal .937 keyway lifters.
Dave B
Pro
Pro

Post by Dave B »

Mt
You have similar deal to my brothers engine. I don't know what rpm you want or what the info is on your turbo? I don't know what fuel your using ? That being said you almost need 1 set of events to work with that compression and another set to not get out of control on back pressure. My brothers deal has similarities but some differences also.The cam in it has been told by a couple of people that it should not work but strangely it works great. 271 and 267 at .050 and on 118 lsa. Lift is .800 and .761 .1.75 rockers
juuhanaa
HotPass
HotPass

Post by juuhanaa »

It is a cam selection for a small block Chevys;

Selection of cams for a set of heads, got it? Not a selection of different heads for a set of cam.. #-o I think the saying "what ever works" is not an exaggeration, it is unlikely to be misunderstood either.

-juhana
A balanced person dares to stagger, and modify ports bigger
SoCalDave

Post by SoCalDave »

DV also does explain that the more efficient a pair of heads are then the LSA doesn't have to be as tight. It's really his videos on head modifications and his book that have helped me make my cars quicker.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

Waste of time.
Title "Hyper advanced ProStock-plus, cam tech" for a video about 10:1 SBCs targeted toward complete novices with nothing at all relevant to Pro-Stock.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:43 pm Waste of time.
Title "Hyper advanced ProStock-plus, cam tech" for a video about 10:1 SBCs targeted toward complete novices with nothing at all relevant to Pro-Stock.
Jon,
Only you could misinterpret a video that is about as explicate as it gets. It will predict a ProStock cam right on the money. I am really getting to the point where you feel you must have a negative criticism of my work for some reason or other than I find inexplicable.There is not one Prostock engineer out there that could have given this info and yet you still have to come up with something less than complimentary. I know for a fact that you could not have produced that video!
But all the above is only my opinion and I just might be biased so let's hear some other opinions and see what they have to say.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

David Vizard wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:55 pm
SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:43 pm Waste of time.
Jon,
Only you could misinterpret a video that is about as explicate as it gets. It will predict a ProStock cam right on the money. I am really getting to the point where you feel you must have a negative criticism of my work for some reason or other than I find inexplicable.There is not one Prostock engineer out there that could have given this info and yet you still have to come up with something less than complimentary. I know for a fact that you could not have produced that video!
But all the above is only my opinion and I just might be biased so let's hear some other opinions and see what they have to say.
DV
How about you just be honest and say the following:?
"you are right, there was nothing "Hyper Advanced" or anything about "Pro-Stock-plus" cams in my video, the title was misleading".

An explanation about Pro-Stock cams would begin by determining what motion a given valve-train mechanism is capable of.
The valve events would be determined by a combination of that motion capability and how it can best be fit to the gas dynamics of the engine package.
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

the first question to be answered is what does the best cam look like or even mean? without a very specific criteria you are trying to answer a question that isn't even defined
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

digger wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:10 am the first question to be answered is what does the best cam look like or even mean? without a very specific criteria you are trying to answer a question that isn't even defined
I think it is fair to say that for most DV readers that means a low-buck rebuilt iron-headed sbc.
JC565Ford
Expert
Expert

Post by JC565Ford »

digger wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:10 am the first question to be answered is what does the best cam look like or even mean? without a very specific criteria you are trying to answer a question that isn't even defined
I'm in the midst of rebuilding the 565 with my old friend Mummert. I have a Jones cam for it that Mike ground about 1.5 yrs back The target is 1,000+ at 7,200 and maybe 800 lbs ft at 5,800. Maybe I'll run the 128 cam formula and see ...... #-o
:lol:
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

JC565Ford wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:29 am I'm in the midst of rebuilding the 565 with my old friend Mummert. I have a Jones cam for it that Mike ground about 1.5 yrs back The target is 1,000+ at 7,200 and maybe 800 lbs ft at 5,800. Maybe I'll run the 128 cam formula and see ...... #-o
:lol:
How much lift will you be running?
I have lost track of what Pro-Stock valve lift is these days?
Last I heard was something like 1.2"

Just for fun:

Question to Chat GPT-4:
What cam specs would be good for a big block Ford 565 cubic inches running 7200 rpm to make 1000 horsepower?

Answer:
To determine the optimal camshaft specifications for a big block Ford engine with 565 cubic inches and a 7200 RPM redline, the engine's characteristics, intended use, and other factors must be taken into consideration. However, as a general starting point, the following camshaft specifications could be considered for an engine aiming to produce 1000 horsepower:

Duration: 260-270 degrees intake/exhaust at .050" tappet lift
Lobe Separation Angle (LSA): 110-112 degrees
Lift: .800" - .850" intake and exhaust
Centerline: 106-108 degrees

It is important to note that camshaft selection should be based on the engine's intended use, operating RPM range, and other factors. Camshafts with more duration and lift can provide more power, but they can also have an impact on low-end torque and drivability. Additionally, other factors such as compression ratio, cylinder head flow, and intake/exhaust system design can all have an impact on the engine's performance.

Therefore, it is recommended to consult with an experienced engine builder or camshaft manufacturer to determine the best camshaft specifications for the specific engine build and application. They can use dyno testing and other tools to determine the optimal camshaft specifications to maximize power and performance while also ensuring drivability and reliability.
JC565Ford
Expert
Expert

Post by JC565Ford »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:34 am
How much lift will you be running?
I have lost track of what Pro-Stock valve lift is these days?
Last I heard was something like 1.2"
The cam is just a "baby" - it's an endurance engine - .820" net lift
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

JC565Ford wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:43 am The cam is just a "baby" - it's an endurance engine - .820" net lift
That still sounds expensive to maintain in a boat that runs for extended time.
Is it V-drive?