CFD/CAD/Thread

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

Re: CFD/CAD/Thread

Post by SpeierRacingHeads »

The only downfall to all the new simulations is the entire roof to the back of the bowl will be epoxy, which is not a problem.

How important could a legal pro port type head be!
Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
F120

Post by F120 »

BLSTIC wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:28 am I'm gonna bring on something I've seen a couple of times on here that's very much related.

Can you do exhaust flow?

This cfd image of presumably a nascar engine with what appears to be a nearly perfect curve in the exhaust is revealing at worst and revolutionary at best.

exhaustflow.jpg

It's just... If this is representative of reality I can't think of a port and exhaust layout what I've seen that would have full utilisation of the port or even the first few inches of primary. (Except maybe an extremely steep port on an inline engine)

I'm not sure a flow bench would show this at all?
Intake and exhaust manifolds affect the port shape dramatically. The length of the port itself and interface angle is arbitrary. The ports I've worked on were really much longer and then cut by the intake/exhaust interfaces. You often see ports that are modified to be perpendicular to the interface for no good reason.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

F120 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:10 pm
BLSTIC wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:28 am I'm gonna bring on something I've seen a couple of times on here that's very much related.

Can you do exhaust flow?

This cfd image of presumably a nascar engine with what appears to be a nearly perfect curve in the exhaust is revealing at worst and revolutionary at best.

exhaustflow.jpg

It's just... If this is representative of reality I can't think of a port and exhaust layout what I've seen that would have full utilisation of the port or even the first few inches of primary. (Except maybe an extremely steep port on an inline engine)

I'm not sure a flow bench would show this at all?
Intake and exhaust manifolds affect the port shape dramatically. The length of the port itself and interface angle is arbitrary. The ports I've worked on were really much longer and then cut by the intake/exhaust interfaces. You often see ports that are modified to be perpendicular to the interface for no good reason.
They do because they’re only developing 2.5-3.5” of a duct that might be 10-14” total on the intake side and 18-32” or so on the exhaust side. That’s what the engine sees, not the 2.5-3.5” that resides only in the head casting.
-Bob
BLSTIC
Expert
Expert

Post by BLSTIC »

No I don't have an example port, but I'm kind of expecting this to follow a few trends and most exhaust ports to have a similar problem. Perhaps someone here does? Or if a "generic" port is easy enough to create could you do a low tight radius one like an MGA/Holden 6 and a more upright long radius one like an LS3? See how large the radius needs to get before the port is good and then we can all cry about how that will never fit in our chassis or rulebooks? :p

Oh, this is the same port/video as close as I could capture to tdc on my mobile. It's a little better in the pipe but not significantly better in the port, still supports the view that tiny off the head is good. Would be good to get at TDC though.
Screenshot_20230526-074029_YouTube.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

I had an interesting discussion with a CFD engineer.
His career was mostly involved with simulation of fuel motion and burning as it relates to fuel efficiency, emissions and durability mostly.
Detroit passenger cars and trucks, some high performance OEM stuff but not purpose built racing engines.

I told him about the controversy over whether intake ducts should have two relatively straight sections with a sharp blend
or
A gradually curved duct with tangent continuity.

He looked at me like this:
Dog-Tilting-Head-While-Listening.jpg
He said that of course the curved duct will flow more.
and
If the fuel is dropping out in either design, the solution would be to have smaller fuel drops.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

I saved that picture, thank you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
My dog understands all the electronics, cfd, etc. We just can't seem to have a decent conversation unless it's about dinner or snack time, carry on :mrgreen:
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:57 pm .....He said that of course the curved duct will flow more.
and
If the fuel is dropping out in either design, the solution would be to have smaller fuel drops.
Choose your carb venturi boosters and emulsion wisely and take note of fuel RVP.
I’m a Street/Strip guy..... like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.
F120

Post by F120 »

SpeierRacingHeads wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:41 am How important could a legal pro port type head be!
What does this mean.Does it have to be an approved casting?

Show me the list, I might have one, I need to look at it
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

Post by SpeierRacingHeads »

F120 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:31 pm
SpeierRacingHeads wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:41 am How important could a legal pro port type head be!
What does this mean.Does it have to be an approved casting?

Show me the list, I might have one, I need to look at it
Yes NHRA has several aftermarket approved castings. I sent them a ProFiler porters casting and they rejected it.

If you don't use the aftermarket, you must use the casting that came on the combo your claiming.

List of aftermarket
Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
williamsmotowerx
Expert
Expert

Post by williamsmotowerx »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:57 pm I had an interesting discussion with a CFD engineer.
His career was mostly involved with simulation of fuel motion and burning as it relates to fuel efficiency, emissions and durability mostly.
Detroit passenger cars and trucks, some high performance OEM stuff but not purpose built racing engines.

I told him about the controversy over whether intake ducts should have two relatively straight sections with a sharp blend
or

and
So which is it? Straight ports with quick short turns are the norm in the high revving 4 valve world currently. The curved duct is old school. That STL I sent you Jon is the last of the high performance curved ducts... Port was designed in 2022
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

williamsmotowerx wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:34 pm
SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:57 pm I had an interesting discussion with a CFD engineer.

or

and
So which is it? Straight ports with quick short turns are the norm in the high revving 4 valve world currently. The curved duct is old school. That STL I sent you Jon is the last of the high performance curved ducts... Port was designed in 2022
How much does that have to do with packaging vs outright best practice?

I think the problem with these V8s is the single Holley manifolds. FI or tunnel ram straightens them right out. FI is even better since you don't have to worry about placing the runner under a booster.
-Bob
williamsmotowerx
Expert
Expert

Post by williamsmotowerx »

hoffman900 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:42 pm

or

and

I think the problem with these V8s is the single Holley manifolds. FI or tunnel ram straightens them right out. FI is even better since you don't have to worry about placing the runner under a booster.
There's always a what if...

And there may be a difference between a 2v and 4v... but I'm really surprised that engineer said curved flows best, or am I reading this wrong?
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

williamsmotowerx wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:33 pm
hoffman900 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:42 pm

There's always a what if...

And there may be a difference between a 2v and 4v... but I'm really surprised that engineer said curved flows best, or am I reading this wrong?
I think the former. They're talking a sharper turn into the plenum and a straighter shot into the port vs a general sweeping bend... think the outer 4 cylinders on a V8 with a single, centrally mounted carburetor / throttle body manifold.
-Bob
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Let's design some shapes to compare.
Define a location and angle at the start and end.
One can be 2 straight sections with whatever blend radius you choose.
The other can be the least tension curved shape.

Post some dimensions and we can test it.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

williamsmotowerx wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:33 pm There's always a what if...

In the test I did in the other thread, the curved duct did flow better than the mitered and blended duct.

Have you seen those cheap Chinese fabricated manifolds with the straight ducts?
s-l500.jpg