General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Re: 454 cooling issues

Post by prairiehotrodder »

[/quote]

You have an engine bay full of high pressure air, as high a pressure as the face of the radiator is seeing, you're in stall.
Of course your fans not wired backwards is it.

The other option is to cut the hood out further forward until you get to the back of the radiator, that should have low pressure there and pull some air through. The existing hood cutout is seeing high pressure from the Windscreen.
[/quote]

So i looked over the situation and I'm doubting that coolant flow is the problem. I easily could be wrong but i have to start somewhere and Tom's air-stall idea seems like its worth looking into. Here is my latest try.
DSC01507.JPG

DSC01511.JPG
thanks again for all the help. It rained here so i won't be able to test this for a few days.

Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
BLSTIC
Expert
Expert

Post by BLSTIC »

Buy a digital manometer and go for a drive with it attached to various points. You will soon find out where the best spots for scoops and vents are. They are cheap tools and airflow is not often intuitive
BLSTIC
Expert
Expert

Post by BLSTIC »

It's also worth putting a temperature probe in that scoop. If air is coming out that scoop your carb will be sucking hot air.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:10 pm
You have an engine bay full of high pressure air, as high a pressure as the face of the radiator is seeing, you're in stall.

The other option is to cut the hood out further forward until you get to the back of the radiator, that should have low pressure there and pull some air through. The existing hood cutout is seeing high pressure from the Windscreen.
[/quote]

So i looked over the situation and I'm doubting that coolant flow is the problem. I easily could be wrong but i have to start somewhere and Tom's air-stall idea seems like its worth looking into. Here is my latest try.

DSC01507.JPG

DSC01511.JPG

thanks again for all the help. It rained here so i won't be able to test this for a few days.

Brian
[/quote]

That'll make it worse.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Thats not what i wanted to hear Tom. :D I guess if it doesn't work i'll keep trying. I called meziere today and asked about my water pump. Don Meziere seemed to want me to look into the airflow situation as well. He said that at about the 600 hp level i may need a bigger water pump for street driving. I don't know how much power this car has but i'm guessing 500 - 550 so not to far off his recomendation. My scoop is just a cheap stab at having a cowl induction which i was hoping to create the low pressure area behind the rad. I had the aluminum laying around so i thought it was worth a try.
Brian
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

I do like it though.
You need to fill the rest of the front in so the engine bay is lower pressure.
At cruising speed your airflow is stalled, at race speed it's trying to blow your front fenders off.
BLSTIC
Expert
Expert

Post by BLSTIC »

Also this kind of aero work can easily have an effect on stability, as the entire point of, say, an undertray is to alter under car pressure. You can end up with some combination of less high speed lift, less drag, and better cooling.

You can just as easily go backwards too...
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:10 pm

[/quote]

DSC01507.JPG

DSC01511.JPG

Brian
[/quote]

In Arizona what we would notice is if the cowl hood was a good distance away from the windshield (four or more inches) it would create a low pressure that would allow under hood pressure to escape. When the cowl was nice and tight to the windshield it was in the high pressure area and would try to supply fresh air in which we would use for induction.

With what I see there is a good chance it will help with your cooling issue. I do agree that having the complete front end would help with cruising cooling.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

you guys will like what Don Meziere had to say :

That look quite problematic to me. The air has every reason not to go through the radiator. The huge cooler in front is blocking a good portion of it, your spoiler needs to go all the way across to create low pressure but that will not even work unless the factory bumper and panels are back in place. The absence of the bumper makes it possible for air to get behind the radiator and stall the air out. Sorry to say, you've got some work to do...
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

......... and put a belt driven stock type pump back on it.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

prairiehotrodder

David Vizard did a video for you.

https://youtu.be/tPuDDjkYmCk
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Tom68 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:14 am prairiehotrodder

David Vizard did a video for you.

https://youtu.be/tPuDDjkYmCk
Thanks Tom, any chance you could pick out the hidden gems of tech and post them here ? Maybe we could all benefit ?

Brian
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

A cowl induction hood scoop should be sealed to the carb/carb box.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

I guess a forward facing hood scokp should be sealed to the carb too.
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

Water pump bypass plugged ? Heater core plumbed ?