New in box Comp Cams SBC roller,Who's used one!" #950!

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

riv187
New in box Comp Cams SBC roller,Who's used one!" #950!

Post by riv187 »

Was at swap meet yesterday and found a Competition Cams roller cam. CS 308-306 R-6. THIS IS OLD SEE Pictures!!! Still had the decals and cam card. Serial number 950! Brand new in bag. I found the cam card in bag. Please see pictures. I new it was 106 LCa when I saw the R6 and thought it maybe a decent cam for our 383 left-over bracket build. We have a old victor JR,750 holley, either sportsman 2 or china dart heads,,flat top. The target range is 3000-6500 and hopefully 550 power and torque. The idea I had was old cam like this maybe easy on valve train parts and streetable for friday local cruises. It was dirt dirt cheap.
What do you think? ever run one? how old is this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
riv187
Re: New in box Comp Cams SBC roller,Who's used one!" #950!

Post by riv187 »

I spoke to tech line at comp,,,and couldn't tell me much other than it dates 70s when company founded. His books don't go back that far. Said it belongs in speed shop museum not our engine,LOL... Guessed it was 265ish .050" durations and likely too radical for typical street strip car.
Now I'm on fence..
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

riv187 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:41 pm Was at swap meet yesterday and found a Competition Cams roller cam. CS 308-306 R-6. THIS IS OLD SEE Pictures!!! Still had the decals and cam card. Serial number 950! Brand new in bag. I found the cam card in bag. Please see pictures. I new it was 106 LCa when I saw the R6 and thought it maybe a decent cam for our 383 left-over bracket build. We have a old victor JR,750 holley, either sportsman 2 or china dart heads,,flat top. The target range is 3000-6500 and hopefully 550 power and torque. The idea I had was old cam like this maybe easy on valve train parts and streetable for friday local cruises. It was dirt dirt cheap.
What do you think? ever run one? how old is this?
That sounded familiar so I went way back in records.
In the mid to late 70's we ran a 308/306-R6 in our oval track 358 engines. I can't tell you if it was the same but, cam lift figures might help.

The cam we ran was 308/306@Lash - 262/269 @.050" - 176/182@.200" - .383"/.400" lobe lift
We used a 1.6/1 rocker arm on the intake and a 1.5/1 on the exhaust; .613" / .600" valve lifts.
In our engines it was installed at 100 degree intake centerline ... That grind came directly from Evars Smeltnicks.

It was NOT hard on parts at all; actually, rather easy on them.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

riv187 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:19 pm I spoke to tech line at comp,,,and couldn't tell me much other than it dates 70s when company founded. His books don't go back that far. Said it belongs in speed shop museum not our engine,LOL... Guessed it was 265ish .050" durations and likely too radical for typical street strip car.
Now I'm on fence..

You need to talk to someone that doesn't have computer screen in front of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bet the grind is still available.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Baprace »

Me being a gear head , and if this is a standard trans or torque converter with decent stall , I would run it , it's big BUT it should be very easy on the valve train , all that can happen is you won't like it, you own it cheap enough, after that you may be able to get it reground in the future as it appears to be a good core with the copper between the lobes. [-o< [-o<
Kingbee

Post by Kingbee »

I agree with all the above comments. Run it! Comp has gained a good reputation over the years and this cam might be one of the reasons in the early days. The box and decals alone are probably worth what you paid for it just to put on the mantle as conversation pieces. Many times the low buck, spare parts engines are for fun then the big dollar stuff.