Low tension ring?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

88bluestar
Pro
Pro
Low tension ring?

Post by 88bluestar »

Have an engine apart that had a fuel wash issue that really did a job on the bearings, and since I have it torn down the cylinder do have some glazing and really considering a good quick hone and new rings. What hone grit would be used for breaking up the glaze and best for these 1.5/1.5/3.0 low tension rings?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
88bluestar
Pro
Pro
Re: Low tension ring?

Post by 88bluestar »

Have to add, what ring material is best for this situation with a quick hone etc?
I believe the current ones are plasma moly.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

If you are going to hone it in a machine i would do whatever you normally do for a finish. I would do 5 or 6 strokes with 280 grit then a couple of strokes with the plateau brush.

If you are talking about a ball hone, the ones I use are 320 grit. I use them with Sunnen honing oil.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

For the best longevity besides the top and bottom ring being PM faced you want them ductile iron also.

Also seeing where the scratches end in your bores you really want to take the time to roll over the Corner’s of the oil rail rings besides the compression rings.

Those type of edges add a bunch or friction to a motor besides grit!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Glazing ?
That's wear isn't it ?
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Glazing.

From ACL, Tasmania, manufacturer of pistons, brgs & rings:
'G is best described as the effect seen on a bore when rings have not bedded in properly. The appearance is of a shiny, but somewhat discoloured [ brownish ] appearance.....G is really a chemical build up of combustion products, iron oxide & graphite [ from the rings & bores ] . It is in fact a very thin skin applied over the honed finish. G is usually caused by lack of proper running in & prolonged idling or insufficient hard work during the running in period can be the cause. Once a bore is glazed it is very hard to unglaze....
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Low tension rings only really work in a so called round bore,
If the bore is not in good shape the Napier 2nd ring will struggle and you will have blow by issues for sure.
Apart from glazed bore you might have dirt issues looking at the bore marks,air filter,or rusting headers on the inside getting pulled back into the chamber from the exhaust side.
Do you use some form of crankcase vacuum with the low tension rings??
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

I use a 240 grit and finish with a 400 grit.
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

Engine came with the car when I bought it, not of my doing. I tore it down to inspect, and oh boy I'm glad I did!
New main, rod, and cam bearings on the way. Total seal CRG low tension rings ordered as well.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

88bluestar wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:21 pm Have to add, what ring material is best for this situation with a quick hone etc?
Have you measured the bores ?
You have ovality and taper and moisture damage, check with the ring manufacturer on how much their rings can handle.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

Tom68 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:12 am
88bluestar wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:21 pm Have to add, what ring material is best for this situation with a quick hone etc?
Have you measured the bores ?
You have ovality and taper and moisture damage, check with the ring manufacturer on how much their rings can handle.
4.040 and measured top to bottom and side to side, albeit with rudimentary inexpensive bore gauge tools and a micrometer.
The CRG total seal rings are 4.045 1.5/1.5/3mm 11 lbs low tension.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tsr-crg2010-45
Last edited by 88bluestar on Sun May 14, 2023 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

steve cowan wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:06 pm Low tension rings only really work in a so called round bore,
If the bore is not in good shape the Napier 2nd ring will struggle and you will have blow by issues for sure.
Apart from glazed bore you might have dirt issues looking at the bore marks,air filter,or rusting headers on the inside getting pulled back into the chamber from the exhaust side.
Do you use some form of crankcase vacuum with the low tension rings??
Only a Kevko breather installed on the fire wall with a long attached hose via the left side valve cover. No
vacuum pump.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Not sure if you have to run exhaust muffler,a evac on the Exhaust collector would help.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

Headers, open race muffler(slight noise reduction) at the end of a long extension. 3” pipe.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

88bluestar wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:39 am Have an engine apart that had a fuel wash issue that really did a job on the bearings, and since I have it torn down the cylinder do have some glazing and really considering a good quick hone and new rings. What hone grit would be used for breaking up the glaze and best for these 1.5/1.5/3.0 low tension rings?
I would simply use a "glaze breaker" BRM plateau brush for that.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.