850-16 Comp Hyd Roller Lifters ticking SHP/SBC

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

wheelsup330
850-16 Comp Hyd Roller Lifters ticking SHP/SBC

Post by wheelsup330 »

People having any problems with these OE performance replacement lifter in the SHP block?
I built a new SHP hot street 427 combo recently (pre covid parts) and took a year and a half to build the the rest of the car. Put it all together and got it fired up after dozens of FITech failures, and headaches went to a Sniper and now she's running way better, and starts with no issues. BUT I got lifter noise like it's a solid cam, went from 1/8 turn preload (preparing for valves to get held open) They're at 1/2 turn now, still noisy. Shut off the motor and you can push on the heel of the rockers and the lifters feel spongey. ?? Some say go a full turn? Is that necessary? :?:
Seems wrong and goes totally against my ways of the old school. [-X
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: 850-16 Comp Hyd Roller Lifters ticking SHP/SBC

Post by mag2555 »

Is there noise with the engine oil cold right after start up?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
wheelsup330

Post by wheelsup330 »

Yeah its noisy all the time, but slightly more noticeable when warm. Funny thing is that its not much difference, from the 1/8 turn setting to 1/2 turn. Which surprised me. I thought it would cure the noise.
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

When you have to dig deep in the engine to correct these issues- I don't think I'd put CC lifters in if you gave them to me.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

How long have you run it, sounds like the lifters haven't filled, not smothered in assembly grease like I see people using these days are they ?
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
RAS
Pro
Pro

Post by RAS »

Comp sells Generic lifters. I use Johnson lifters in my LS builds but there is no reason we are seeing these quality issues like we do. Its all marketing junk. They put their name on it and we buy it.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

If you are "old school" you could have bought a comp XR solid roller street cam.
Very tame valvetrain noise when lash is set a hair tighter than cam card. eg: .012"-.014"
The lash stays set.
More go for the $$

Some people who get fed up with noisey inconsistant hyd roller lifters swap them out for solid roller lifters and set the valve lash very tight on their hyd roller cam.
.002"-.006" cold.

Seems it is touch and go on getting a set of hyd roller lifters that are consistant acceptable hyd bleed rate.
As posted the Johnson hyd rollers are more consistant.
You can order them in different bleed rates for purpose.
Tighter internal clearances reduce bleed down but can get infected with dirt in the oil.
Clean oil is essential.
You may want to remove your lifters, test them for bleed down rate, dissassemble and clean them.
Maybe Comp cams will help on this.
Call them FIRST for advice and warranty service consideration.

First try adjusting more hyd preload even if beyond 1 full turn.. (give it what it wants) The engine oil you use does have an effect on hyd lifter performance.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

wheelsup330 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:17 pm People having any problems with these OE performance replacement lifter in the SHP block?
I built a new SHP hot street 427 combo recently (pre covid parts) and took a year and a half to build the the rest of the car. Put it all together and got it fired up after dozens of FITech failures, and headaches went to a Sniper and now she's running way better, and starts with no issues. BUT I got lifter noise like it's a solid cam, went from 1/8 turn preload (preparing for valves to get held open) They're at 1/2 turn now, still noisy. Shut off the motor and you can push on the heel of the rockers and the lifters feel spongey. ?? Some say go a full turn? Is that necessary? :?:
Seems wrong and goes totally against my ways of the old school. [-X
What weight oil are you using? New lifters don't like thick oil, been there done that.
wheelsup330

Post by wheelsup330 »

30wt break in oil.
I turned it down to a full turn preload and still thrashing like a poorly adjusted solid cam.
wheelsup330

Post by wheelsup330 »

mag2555 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:29 pm Is there noise with the engine oil cold right after start up?
Yes its basically noisy right from the time it lights off. Sounds like a solid cam. Run it till the thermostat is open and warmed up still not much change.
wheelsup330

Post by wheelsup330 »

Tom68 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:36 pm How long have you run it, sounds like the lifters haven't filled, not smothered in assembly grease like I see people using these days are they ?
Its been run about an hour now between all the FITECH issues and misc. Thats kinda what it acts like is that its not filling the lifters but it oils up all the pushrods real nice.
Negative on the spooge grease, I assemble my rotating parts with a light coat of TORCO MPZ assembly lube and / or straight 30wt aeroshell. Been doing this for +/- 40 years. No issues.
wheelsup330

Post by wheelsup330 »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:09 pm If you are "old school" you could have bought a comp XR solid roller street cam.
Very tame valvetrain noise when lash is set a hair tighter than cam card. eg: .012"-.014"
The lash stays set.
More go for the $$

Some people who get fed up with noisey inconsistant hyd roller lifters swap them out for solid roller lifters and set the valve lash very tight on their hyd roller cam.
.002"-.006" cold.

Seems it is touch and go on getting a set of hyd roller lifters that are consistant acceptable hyd bleed rate.
As posted the Johnson hyd rollers are more consistant.
You can order them in different bleed rates for purpose.
Tighter internal clearances reduce bleed down but can get infected with dirt in the oil.
Clean oil is essential.
You may want to remove your lifters, test them for bleed down rate, dissassemble and clean them.
Maybe Comp cams will help on this.
Call them FIRST for advice and warranty service consideration.

First try adjusting more hyd preload even if beyond 1 full turn.. (give it what it wants) The engine oil you use does have an effect on hyd lifter performance.
Just because I am old school doesn't mean its my choice to put a hydraulic cam in a motor. Its a customer that that is like gold in my shop. One way or another he's getting it fixed for whatever it takes me to make it right. He's a hit the key and go kinda guy. Polish and wax. I would have put a solid roller in it myself.
It has 30wt (Aeroshell 65) straight mineral break in oil in it. SO far in @40 years Ive never had any issue with this.
I put a full turn preload last night and it might have quieted down a touch but still has definite consistent valve tick just like Rhoads Lifters have
Thanks for your help sir.
wheelsup330

Post by wheelsup330 »

Ive got a set of Howards 91113 lifters coming on a freight plane from the W/D out of town. We'll see what they do.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

On my 400. gyd flat tappet cam lifters were noticebly quieter once I changed out ghe breakin oil for Shell Rotella 15w40 .. 1 turn preload. These XE hyd cams are not noted to be perfec quiet at idle. The rotella T made a difference.
blwilliams
Pro
Pro

Post by blwilliams »

Like F-Bird stated the Comp XE profiles are very aggressive lobes and can be quite noisy. ACertain roller rockers are more noisy than others as well.
Any chance you could try a set of stud and ball rockers to see if they are any quieter?